997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Boost Pressure Electronic Actuator...Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 02:26 PM
L_Perm will become famous soon enoughL_Perm will become famous soon enough
Boost Pressure Electronic Actuator...Limp Mode

Hi,
I had my turbos upgraded by Borg Warner earlier last year, and I have not been able to solve a problem since. 2007 TT, by the way.

The car runs fine until I open up the throttle, at which point the ECU cuts power and boost doesn't go beyond about 7 PSI. My Durametric scan keeps giving me a communication error--C2212 "Boost pressure electronic actuator b2 not adapted. Implausible signal."

I've read where others with access to PIWIS have run some type of adaptation for this actuator. Is that likely all I need to do? Durametric is throwing no other codes. I don't have a CEL or any other trouble indicator other than the Durametric code above.

Thanks,
Lou

P.S. I've checked the action of both actuators, and the rods spring back normally. When the turbos were upgraded, one of the actuator boxes was replaced. I've upgraded the rest of my breathing and exhaust bits also to go along with the turbos.

Last edited by L_Perm; 03-13-2013 at 07:30 AM.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:20 AM
Complex PIWIS Problem. Gurus PLEASE HELP!

Hi,
The background is that I've put $25K worth of equipment on my 2007 TT since acquiring it this time last year: GT3 throttle body and matching IPD plenum; Porsche motorsport ICs; headers; 200 cell cats and high-flow exhaust; VTG turbos upgraded by Borg Warner and forge BRVs; plus tune.

I haven't received the benefit of these upgrades yet because of a "hard fault" I'm getting in PIWIS. The Durametric code is C2212 "Boost pressure electronic actuator b2 not adapted. Implausible signal."

I'm getting no CEL, and no other fault codes. The ECU keeps the car in limp mode, however, due to this fault. There is no evidence of boost leaks and no fault codes that would indicate such. The installation of these parts, which I performed myself has been checked and re-checked, even by the dealer, and appears correct. (I took my time and treated everything with kid gloves, so I'd be surprised if anything is wrong with the installation.)

I was told by the tuner that when Borg Warner upgraded my turbos, they replaced one of the actuator boxes. So, I'm thinking the box needs the PIWIS boost pressure actuator adaptation routine to be performed. Therefore, I took the car to a local dealership Saturday and had the car scanned in anticipation of having the actuator adapted. The service guy told me he and the long-time tech had never seen the code before, it was a hard fault, and that they could not run the adaptation routine.

I relayed this to the tuner, who just told me that the PIWIS will allow the adaptation routine, even if all faults are not cleared. I'm about to call the dealership back.

Does anyone have any knowledge to lend to my efforts?

Thanks,
Louis

Old 03-18-2013, 09:36 AM
Basic Sponsor
Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !Emre@Esmotor Is a GOD !
Hi,

Did you checked the installation of the turbos?

Left and right side have different actuator movements.

I guess you have problem there.

I also seen that actuators get stuck sometimes.

I would suggest checking the movement of the actuators by hand first.

Regards,
Emre

100-200km/h: 2.16 sec
200-300km/h: 3.43 sec
60-130mph: 2.52 sec
100-150mph: 2.19 sec
Email: emre@esmotor.com.tr
Web: http://www.esmotor.com.tr
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/esmotor
Old 03-18-2013, 09:38 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
This MAY be of some help. I think there is an actuator adaption routine that can be done with PIWIS.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-pressure.html

Old 03-18-2013, 09:44 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
This is the routine:

You need to calibrate or initialize the wastegate actuators. This can ONLY be done using a Porsche PIWIS.

1. Warm up the car.
2. Use the PIWIS tester and perform a full search of the cars control units faults and erase all the faults . This is under “Special Functions” under the 997.
3. Next go into “DME”.
4. Next select “System Check”.
5. Next select “Adaption of boost pressure actuator”
6. Make sure all the pre requisites are good and perform the function by pressing F8.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:20 PM
Hi Emre,
I did check the part numbers on both turbos to make sure I had one left and one right actuator box. All the part numbers checked out. The movements are in the right directions. Also, I've checked the movement of the rods, and they spring back normally--no stiffness or binding.

The turbos, by the way, look brand new. Borg Warner cleans them, upgrades them, re-lubes them, and tests them to OE specs--such as being under the minimum threshold for vibration at 200,000 rpm, etc.

My installation is immaculate. I took my time. I replaced all rings and have no leaks of any kind--oil, coolant, or air. The Forge BRVs are aligned correctly--checked that too.

Louis

One of my primary questions is: Can anyone confirm that PIWIS will run the adaptation routine without first having the hard fault cleared? This seems to be the area of disagreement between my tuner and the dealership.

Last edited by L_Perm; 03-18-2013 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Add content
Old 03-18-2013, 01:34 PM
Hi bbywu,
I didn't think this post was going to get any traffic, so I started another today, after visiting the dealership for a PIWIS scan on Saturday.

The crux of the problem at this point is a disagreement between my dealership and my tuner about whether PIWIS will run the adaptation routine without first having the hard fault cleared. Service guy said no, tuner says PIWIS will run the adaptation even if the fault isn't cleared.

No one has ever seen the fault code before--not even the "gold" tech. So, they don't know how to address the hard fault.

FYI, my tuner emailed me the exact same sequence as yours. When I mentioned that the hard fault could not be cleared, he said to skip that step, that it wasn't needed.

Do you know one way or the other?

Thanks,
Louis

P.S. Please merge my two posts if you don't mind.
P.S.S. Thanks for merging the posts bbywu.

Last edited by L_Perm; 03-18-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:01 AM
wickedbull is on a distinguished road
Hi Louis

How did you finally fix this issue ? I'm going through a similar issue ? Thanks !

Old 04-28-2014, 11:59 PM
The PIWIS was able to run the adaptation of the boost actuator without clearing the hard fault, just like FVD said it would. Took 10 minutes at the dealership. It had to be done because the electronic actuator box on one of the turbos was replaced by BorgWarner due to shipping damage. Everything was peachy after that.

Hope this helps,
Louis

Old 04-29-2014, 05:45 AM
wickedbull is on a distinguished road
Thanks !

Old 04-29-2017, 12:00 PM
flaman1000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi I from chile my car is a 997.1 turbo with apr software.
my car have de same problems with out de codes.
i changed lambdas and i my car still have de problems.
any suggest??
vgt problems????

thanks

Originally Posted by L_Perm
Hi,
I had my turbos upgraded by Borg Warner earlier last year, and I have not been able to solve a problem since. 2007 TT, by the way.

The car runs fine until I open up the throttle, at which point the ECU cuts power and boost doesn't go beyond about 7 PSI. My Durametric scan keeps giving me a communication error--C2212 "Boost pressure electronic actuator b2 not adapted. Implausible signal."

I've read where others with access to PIWIS have run some type of adaptation for this actuator. Is that likely all I need to do? Durametric is throwing no other codes. I don't have a CEL or any other trouble indicator other than the Durametric code above.

Thanks,
Lou

P.S. I've checked the action of both actuators, and the rods spring back normally. When the turbos were upgraded, one of the actuator boxes was replaced. I've upgraded the rest of my breathing and exhaust bits also to go along with the turbos.

Old 04-30-2019, 11:05 AM
turboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant future
Can someone define a hard fault? Is that simply a fault that does not trigger a CEL?

Also...are there faults that exist that do not trigger a CEL?