997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Need help with a problem (air leak?)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 06:03 AM
triblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UTPorsche
LOL, it's part of the game! To be totally honest the car has thrown these codes before shortly after I got it. I figured I had done the throttle adaptation wrong. I reset the computer and it drove (mostly) fine for 700+ miles. Then last night- bam! I reset it again and it's running fine (well, as fine as it has run since getting it).

That's interesting. I've talked to a few other EVT 775ers and they don't seem to have these issues.

Agreed. And I don't wait to point any fingers and I've got nothing negative to say about any tuner, but I'm wondering if - like you say - part of these issues are tune related.

That's what I'm doing- I finally found a semi-local place to take my car to and in a couple of weeks they'll go over everything with a fine tooth comb. I DO expect them to find a leak somewhere, but I don't expect that will be the end of all my issues. You never know though.

I think we must like the pain! The tune I have is, as I understand it, adjusted to accommodate the IPD Plenum which is part of the EVOMS build.

I'm just hoping someone hops on here and goes "OH FREAK YEAH! That same stuff happened to me and it was the [magic cure goes here]." I should check my warp core. Something always goes wrong with those.

Cam
For sure on all accounts.
And for the record.....and let it be known my EVT775 had some pretty serious issues when I bought it...so I shipped it to EVOMS where they spent 5 weeks with it. Without going into details much of what was done had to be redone and like I said some of the things you speak of I have just chalked up as normal modified 997tt stuff. The new (and worse) issue you are having is obviously something new all together and Im really looking forward to your findings. Best luck Cam! I will absolutely let you know what I find as there is a slight chance I have a small vac leak as well. Im gonna FB msg my # so I can tell you the things I might look at based on what went on w my car. I

Old 05-24-2013, 07:51 PM
UTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
The new (and worse) issue you are having is obviously something new all together
Possibly- after thinking about this for awhile though this may be the result of the car just adapting until there's no where else to adapt to (i.e. fuel trims pushed to the limit)- then it goes bonkers. It could all be part of the same problem. I dunno- I reset the ECU so I've got awhile before it happens again. We'll touch base and you can give me some ideas.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:34 PM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
Try looking at the FPR. The fuel pressure regulator has two fittings...if either if those is lose or completely off, the car is going to act up. Hopefully that will be the issue. If you find thins is the case, disconnect the battery, clear the code and see if that fixes the problem. I have a feeling that is the issue...

Old 05-27-2013, 04:20 PM
triblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond repute
Huh?! Sounds plausable....
Cam let us know whats up....

Old 05-27-2013, 04:51 PM
UTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
Try looking at the FPR. The fuel pressure regulator has two fittings...if either if those is lose or completely off, the car is going to act up
Thanks, seems like a good lead. Not a simple thing to get to though.

First things first - I think I damaged my MAF sensors when I cleaned them (I used CRC MAF cleaner). They may have had a previous issue (having been possibly damaged by an oversaturated BMC filter). Here a fault from a Durametric tool:

I ordered some new sensors but they won't be here until next week. I'll take a look at the FPR then. In the meantime, after throwing another CEL (8 codes), the car's in storage- we're taking a little break from each other. I have an appointment with a reputable semi-local shop on June 11th. I think that's probably when this will actually start getting sorted out.

Attached Images  

Last edited by UTPorsche; 05-27-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:55 PM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
If you remove the air box and stick your hand on the right side, you can actually feel the FPR with your hands...by tact, you can tell if both ends are connected.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:06 PM
Okay, quick update. Not the FPR, but it was a good idea. New MAF sensors didn't help. And my many tears and prayers also failed to solve the problems.

The car finally got so bad that I had to take it somewhere. I dropped it off at a company called RaceCo (inside the Miller Motorsports Park in UT). They were recommended by EVOMS and so far they have been exceptional.

They found a leak in one of the intercoolers. It was big enough that they couldn't really even pressure test the system to look for other leaks. The hole - I guess a crack along one of the welds - was bad enough that they were not able to fix it. So, two new EVOMS Gen 2 intercoolers inbound. After they are installed the pressure testing will resume. The "good news" is it the kind of leak that could be the cause of all my problems. The bad news is that it was not discovered in the PPI (to be fair, maybe it wasn't there at that point) and I've been driving the car around possibly doing more damage (i.e. overtaxing the turbos).

More to come...

Old 06-14-2013, 07:51 PM
Lamborghini Fanatic
LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by UTPorsche

More to come...
I hope no... I'm sorry to hear all this mess... I hope they can fix it and you can finally enjoy your car!!!

Old 06-14-2013, 08:01 PM
I hope no... I'm sorry to hear all this mess... I hope they can fix it and you can finally enjoy your car!!!
Ha, no- I just meant more updates to come. Not more headaches (hopefully). Although Justin and I are having a contest to see who can spend more money to get their EVT 775 working. A few more headaches might help me win. But I hope I lose.

I'm looking forward to seeing what it can actually do. With my leak and the fact that my sport button wasn't working (how did that get missed in the PPI? Come on...) I'm not even sure if I ever hit full boost. Sure was fun for the few weeks it was sort of working though!

Old 06-20-2013, 03:11 PM
Lol. Im testing for boost leaks myself as we speak. God I hope its not intercooler related!

Old 06-20-2013, 05:41 PM
Lol. Im testing for boost leaks myself as we speak. God I hope its not intercooler related!
That's just not fair. After all the crap you've been through now your car has an air leak. If - God forbid - it turns out to be your intercooler let me know. We have the same Gen 1 models. One of mine is still good. If my good intercooler is your bad one you can have it, no strings attached. That would save you about $4K and I might just win this thing yet!!

RaceCo has my new intercoolers installed and they are hopeful. They have pressure checked everything and there aren't any more leaks. Idle is stable and long term fuel trims are staying at +1 so far. They still have more testing to do, but I think we're on the right track (pun totally intended).

No idea what's up w/ the sport button yet, but it's clearly not working. Having talked with other EVT 775 owners they have indicated that when the sport button is pressed boost pressure and throttle response rise (anyone who has an EVT anything is free to chime in here to let me know what their sport button does or does not do). Hopefully EVOMS can help RaceCo figure out if the button worked at some point and determine why the button isn't working now.

It would be cool to have my car work.

Quick edit for anyone wondering what my sport button does: Nothing. No light, no change, no nuthin'. I have never seen my boost gauge go past 15 PSI (1 bar).

Last edited by UTPorsche; 06-20-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:14 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
"It would be cool to have my car work."

Cam,
You are getting close! The karma is with you!! Soon it will !!!

Just as an fyi, my air leak seems resolved (at least until it happens again). Color me pragmatic!

I did a couple of pulls in sport mode today with the bar boost display engaged. It went "arrow up" past 18 psi and held which would seem to be indicative of pulling 20+ lbs boost as Evoms indicated it would. I don't think the alternative numeric display goes above 17 psi which is the max I've ever seen on it. Also, my button lights up and there is a noticeable change in throttle mapping in addition to the boost. I was running a 50-50 mix of pump and 100 octane race gas so that needs to be factored in as well. (Question: Does your suspension button to the left of the sport button light up? It should in conjunction when you push the sport button or when you push it independently without sport.)

While at the track last weekend, I met Powderhound who has a Ruf Turbo and has a very functional electronic gauge package installed in his PCM module. The display can be switched between multiple parameters such as EGT's, oil temps, etc. I'll try to find out more about that. We were running with temps >100' on the grid and once my oil temps hit 240, I was done. As my wife reminds me, I had my mulligan two years ago when the turbo let loose so I'm rather sensitive about monitoring that stuff now.

See you at Miller in Sept I hope!

Last edited by Steamboat; 06-20-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:08 PM
You are getting close! The karma is with you!! Soon it will !!!
Thanks for the good vibes!

Just as an fyi, my air leak seems resolved (at least until it happens again). Color me pragmatic!
Fingers crossed. Seems like if you've got an EVT 775 then you've got an air leak. It's like part of the kit.

Question: Does your suspension button to the left of the sport button light up? It should in conjunction when you push the sport button or when you push it independently without sport.
When I push the sport button nothing lights up. I do have aftermarket shocks (Bilstein Damptronics) - I don't know if that would affect anything. When I press the suspension button it lights up and the ride def. seem to get stiffer. At one point EVOMS told me the shocks weren't adjustable so I wouldn't have the suspension switching functionality. But it seems like I do...
While at the track last weekend, I met Powderhound who has a Ruf Turbo and has a very functional electronic gauge package installed in his PCM module. The display can be switched between multiple parameters such as EGT's, oil temps, etc. I'll try to find out more about that. We were running with temps >100' on the grid and once my oil temps hit 240, I was done. As my wife reminds me, I had my mulligan two years ago when the turbo let loose so I'm rather sensitive about monitoring that stuff now.
That sounds really cool. And yeah, when you're racing it's a good idea to keep an eye on stuff.

See you at Miller in Sept I hope!
I hope I make it out this year. But I won't be in a 911

Last edited by UTPorsche; 06-20-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:06 AM
Man Im soooooo glad to see you are getting your **** together. So effing frusteratiing. ATX Autosport should have my system smoke tested by midday tomorrow. Hoping for the best. Keep me in the loop!

Old 06-21-2013, 08:01 AM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
"Fingers crossed. Seems like if you've got an EVT 775 then you've got an air leak. It's like part of the kit." It's "free" too!

"When I push the sport button nothing lights up. I do have aftermarket shocks (Bilstein Damptronics) - I don't know if that would affect anything. When I press the suspension button it lights up and the ride def. seem to get stiffer. At one point EVOMS told me the shocks weren't adjustable so I wouldn't have the suspension switching functionality. But it seems like I do.. "

I run Damptronics as well and it all works. Definitely a gremlin to be chased down...

"But I won't be in a 911 " Do you have one of the winged Corvette's that kept going by me a year ago?? Those guys were quick!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need help with a problem (air leak?)