997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Bad Tire Pressure Sensor?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 11:54 PM
baziturbo will become famous soon enoughbaziturbo will become famous soon enough
what can happen if you do not replace the batteries but you are manually checking the tire pressure?

Old 05-25-2013, 09:17 AM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
Nothing other than you will be annoyed by the light(s) on the dash. The systems were put in place on all vehicles after Sept 1, 2007 as part of the TREAD act.

Last year my TPMS warning light came on two weeks after my annual service. Since mine is a weekend car I let it go until my service this year. Didn't appreciate the warning light on the dash when I took the car out but I did get used to simply clicking past it.

Was pleased to find out this was covered under my extended warranty.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:19 AM
baziturbo will become famous soon enoughbaziturbo will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by PSTT07
Nothing other than you will be annoyed by the light(s) on the dash. The systems were put in place on all vehicles after Sept 1, 2007 as part of the TREAD act.

Last year my TPMS warning light came on two weeks after my annual service. Since mine is a weekend car I let it go until my service this year. Didn't appreciate the warning light on the dash when I took the car out but I did get used to simply clicking past it.

Was pleased to find out this was covered under my extended warranty.
may I ask which extended warranty you are using? I am considering EasyCare.

Cheers

Old 05-25-2013, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by 40TO60N1
At least your broken sensor shows "0". One of the sensors went bad on the car... started with driver side rear sensor, showed "--" on the gauge. After a few miles, all the sensors showed "--". Took it to dealer, one was bad the other three showed low batteries. They replaced all wheel sensors. Glad I have the extended warranty (The total bill was over $1200). I still had to payout $300 ($200 deductible); the extended warranty only cover parts and labors... had to pay the taxes on parts and labors.
may I ask what extended warranty you used? I am considering Easycare.

cheers

Old 05-25-2013, 09:36 AM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
I purchased an EasyCare warranty from the Porsche dealer here in Houston. Key for me was doing do it before my factory warranty expired...as rates go up signigficantly based on that plus mileage. 4yrs/60k miles on top of my current mileage, which was approx 12k at the time. Now about 3 yrs later @ 19k.

It's all about piece of mind for me. Was happy to get about $1,200 worth of service back for the TPMS. Yes you can get that work done cheaper but the dealer gets about 200/sensor plus their labor...so it adds up fast.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:42 AM
I purchased an EasyCare warranty from the Porsche dealer here in Houston. Key for me was doing do it before my factory warranty expired...as rates go up signigficantly based on that plus mileage. 4yrs/60k miles on top of my current mileage, which was approx 12k at the time. Now about 3 yrs later @ 19k.

It's all about piece of mind for me. Was happy to get about $1,200 worth of service back for the TPMS. Yes you can get that work done cheaper but the dealer gets about 200/sensor plus their labor...so it adds up fast.
I was quoted a 30 month/30k mile warranty with a 250$ dec for 4200$ thru my porsche dealer. I am out of warranty but the sensors will go bad in about 6 months (found out thru my PPI). I live in Cali where everything costs more

Old 05-25-2013, 09:54 AM
You can shop around and ask others on the forum. Three years ago I paid ~$4,200 for 4yr/60k with 250 deductible. Not sure if that was a good deal and I didn't try to negotiate, but I've heard you can. They inspected the car at the dealer before giving me the deal too, which is important to know.

It is more money because the car is out of warranty. While under warranty of course they know all immediate needs will already be covered, so essentially they're starting with less risk.

Now, it makes sense to purchase the EasyCare warranty, at a price you're comfortable with, if you know they will cover those sensors. On the other hand, if for some reason they inspect your car first, as they will, and tell you that the sensors won't be covered because they already need to be replaced I wouldn't purchase it. Not saying that will happen just trying to give my two cents...opinion.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:08 AM
You can shop around and ask others on the forum. Three years ago I paid ~$4,200 for 4yr/60k with 250 deductible. Not sure if that was a good deal and I didn't try to negotiate, but I've heard you can. They inspected the car at the dealer before giving me the deal too, which is important to know.

It is more money because the car is out of warranty. While under warranty of course they know all immediate needs will already be covered, so essentially they're starting with less risk.

Now, it makes sense to purchase the EasyCare warranty, at a price you're comfortable with, if you know they will cover those sensors. On the other hand, if for some reason they inspect your car first, as they will, and tell you that the sensors won't be covered because they already need to be replaced I wouldn't purchase it. Not saying that will happen just trying to give my two cents...opinion.
I appreciate your thoughts !

Old 05-25-2013, 02:03 PM
UTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
Nothing other than you will be annoyed by the light(s) on the dash.
And that's all it is. I'm annoyed. Thanks for the advice!

Old 09-13-2013, 01:39 PM
UTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
Just a follow-up on this issue. I finally got it resolved by putting in OEM TMPS sensors (part number 997 606 021 01). Zero issues since I installed these:

The sensors before were ITM (which was aggravating because I had paid for OEM sensors) and they just never worked right. I know some people have had good luck w/ them, but they were nothing but a headache for me.

I also realize that some people have issues with the OEM senors, but this was the solution to my problem.

Cam

Attached Images  
Old 10-23-2013, 04:42 PM
CBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant future
Also for what it's worth, check out Wurth sensors. (pun intended) They are a fraction of the OEM cost.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:05 PM
Tahoe Porsche is on a distinguished road
Agreed, having a nightmare with ITM right now. Took 3 different tire places to get them working and a bunch of money. Now I am swapping wheels and tires and back to square one. Called ITM and they were no help, didn't want to talk since I am not a retailer, were unable to tell me who sells them and wouldn't sell me the new "re-build" kit for the new sensors. They were part of the deal when I bought the car and the seller will not talk to me anymore, though he is a dealer too! Crazy, shouldn't be this hard.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:03 AM
E90076 is a name known to allE90076 is a name known to allE90076 is a name known to allE90076 is a name known to allE90076 is a name known to allE90076 is a name known to all
Two of my TPMS failed recently, is it pretty common they are covered under warranty?

Old 12-18-2013, 07:45 AM
It is common for the sensors to fail (battery life) after 4-6 years. Yes it's covered under warranty, at least it was for me. I purchased an extended warranty through EasyCare right before my factory warranty expired. I had all 4 replaced under warranty at the dealer in May while my car was in for the annual service.

As you have read, there may be less expensive alternatives to the dealer if it's not covered for your car. Some have run into issues going this route though.

FYI...replace all 4 at the same time. I actually have the tool that reads the sensors and remember two of the four were too low to communicate with the computer. The other two weren't far behind even though they still worked.

Per the dealer invoice, it was about $1,100 for the 4 sensors and labor to install, etc.

Hope this is helpful.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:07 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Just had mine replaced under cpo. Dealer bill was $750 in parts and about $100 in labor. Pressure readings are very inconsistent, added non oem sensors to another set of wheels for $200 and they are much more accurate! Also now seem to have a leak in a rear tire, which I'm guessing is associated with the sensor! Go non oem unless the dealer is paying!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bad Tire Pressure Sensor?