997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Bad Tire Pressure Sensor?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 07:04 PM
UTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
Bad Tire Pressure Sensor?

UPDATE: 9/13/2013 - Finally got the correct TPMS sensors installed on my car (997 606 021 01). No issues at all these days.

UPDATE: 5/24/2013 - Got the Tire Sensor replaced. Now a new issue (scroll down). Ideas?

Maybe someone can help me with this one

I hopped in my car today and was greeted with this:

After driving for a bit it seems to go back to "normal"

Obviously I checked the tire- it was a-ok. Is this indicative of a bad sensor, depleted battery, etc? Before getting the car I paid to have all the tire sensors replaced- I'd hate to think they didn't do that.

Thanks,
Cam

If I keep having this many problems I'll be able to reply to my PM's soon (just a few more posts to go!

Attached Images     

Last edited by UTPorsche; 09-13-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:13 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I think the sensor is failing. Tire rack has them, about 400$, eBay about 200$. They can be installed wo dismounting the tires. Runs about 85$.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:14 PM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
I would stop by the dealer or local Discount Tire. They have scan tools that can read your sensors in seconds and tell you if the sensor is functioning properly, e.g. battery life.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:26 PM
UTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond reputeUTPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
Hitting up the dealer or Discount sounds like a good idea. I will do that tomorrow.

Does anyone know if what I showed above is typically how the tire sensors fail? It is so annoying to do preemptive maintenance and then have this kind of issue a month later.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:36 PM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
My guess...the symptoms you're having are indicative of low baterries in the TPMS. At times they will produce enough power to communicate with the on board computer, which is why you may have intermittent dash warnings.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:47 PM
997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold997TTurbo is a splendid one to behold
Learned through the forum that the battery life on the tire pressure sensors is around 5 years. When the battery on any of the sensors weakens, it throws the dreadful "TPS Inactive" code on the on-board computer. Even if you reset it, the system will not "learn" and you will continue to have the red exclamation point and the amber tire pressure warning light on the dashboard.

I took my 2007 Turbo to Wheel Enhancement in Los Angeles and they replaced all 4 sensors with new sensors, Porsche part# 997.606.021.01. They carefully removed the tires, broke the bead and reached in and removed the old sensors and installed the new ones.

Wheel Enhancement is awesome, they made sure that there would be no scratches on the rims and their work was flawless! I dealt with Dave Martin. Not a cheap fix ($600) but well worth it to me since I like to have everything working correctly. After I drove off from their driveway, the computer reset itself and the warning lights went off and I was back in business with the TPMS working perfectly. Wheel Enhancement is a forum sponsor and I give them the thumbs up
<!-- / message -->
<!-- controls -->

Attached Images  
Old 05-13-2013, 10:53 PM
ThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to allThunderRolls is a name known to all
what 997TTurbo said

Old 05-13-2013, 11:09 PM
40TO60N1 is on a distinguished road
At least your broken sensor shows "0". One of the sensors went bad on the car... started with driver side rear sensor, showed "--" on the gauge. After a few miles, all the sensors showed "--". Took it to dealer, one was bad the other three showed low batteries. They replaced all wheel sensors. Glad I have the extended warranty (The total bill was over $1200). I still had to payout $300 ($200 deductible); the extended warranty only cover parts and labors... had to pay the taxes on parts and labors.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:51 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

Just to reiterate these should be brand new sensors (installed about a little over a month ago).

I took it to Discount Tire and the checked the sensors. Discount is not able to check battery levels (can Porsche dealers?), but the sensors all tested okay. I reset the system and it was okay for a bit [EDIT -->] but the error came back this evening.

After a bit more research I'm leaning toward the sensor being faulty. It's sending info but it's wrong (-42 pounds of pressure?). I dunno. Life would sure be dull if everything worked right

-Cam

Last edited by UTPorsche; 05-14-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:15 PM
Hey Cam, I'm surprised Dicsount doesn't have a tool capable of determining battery life. This type of tool can be purchased from ATEC for $250.

The dealer definitely has the ability to do so. Won't the folks who told you they replaced the sensors check and cover the issue for you?

Old 05-15-2013, 01:13 AM
The dealer definitely has the ability to do so.
Yeah, maybe I should have gone to the dealer, but Discount is much closer and my interactions with the local Porsche dealer thus far have sort of sucked (more on that eventually in another post).

Won't the folks who told you they replaced the sensors check and cover the issue for you?
They are in Arizona (about 9 hours from me). But I sent them an email to see if there are options.

I'm sure I'll get it straightened out.

Cam

Old 05-24-2013, 09:27 PM
Okay, update- the company that put in my tire sensors was nice enough to send me a new one. I installed it, had the car relearn the sensors and everything seemed fine for a few days- no issues. Today this screen popped up:

I reset the sensors and the same screen popped up again. The pressure in the tires is correct. This is not a case of the sensors being old (they are new). What the hell? How many gremlins can this car have.

Has anyone seen this screen before? Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Attached Images  
Old 05-24-2013, 09:44 PM
Hey there, I know it's frustrating. From an earlier post I know you're not favoring the dealer but that would be my next stop. See if you can chat it up with a service advisor and get them to check it quickly. They have the tools and knowledge to quickly diagnose this.

You may also try to call a few dealers tomorrow and see if you can speak with someone who has some experience. Explain the symptoms and steps you've taken to this point.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:10 PM
I should also mention that I found this on another forum and have tried it with no luck: "Select another tire combo - let it start to "recal" then select YOUR tire combo. The system will reset to your wheels and you will be fine."

From an earlier post I know you're not favoring the dealer but that would be my next stop
I don't know- maybe. Last time I took it to them I got it back with three problems I didn't have before (and they weren't even able to help with the issue I brought it in for).

Last edited by UTPorsche; 05-24-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:30 PM
That's a bummer to hear. Some of the people (technicians/advisors) that i've come accorss are enthusiasts like you and I and have a passion for these cars - Arizona ans Texas.

Hope you can find someone you trust who will take car of your concerns. I know it must be frustrating not having it dialed in like you want.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bad Tire Pressure Sensor?