997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Front compartment Manual override

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 11:24 PM
Jako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to behold
Front compartment Manual override

Thanks to all that assisted in helping me with my dumbass move. I hooked up the charger to the battery and played basketball with my son and was drinking wine too. i guess i got a litte too loose and closed the hood without re-attaching the negative terminal.

Called Porsche road assist and they couldn't assist Took little pieces of everyones help and here it is.

1. With the battery disconnected the fuse jumper method WILL NOT WORK. That was only designed if the battery died. i tried and you can hear things click but no hood pop.

2. Road assist said there was a manual cable release under the Driver seat.... nope.

3. You need to go on the driverside wheel well and remove the front most plastic lining. That is really easy. 6 screws and a couple of tugs and it is out.

4. Some post mention that you need to remove the wheel first. Although that would give you more room to work, it is likely that you have left your wheel key in the compartment tucked away nicely in the wheel key slot. So since you are trying to get into the compartment, no cigar. So, just turn the steering wheel to the right to give you enough space.

5. You will see in the photo attached, right in the middle of the photo, there is a grommet with what looks like a bike brake cable (steel braided). Grab hold of it with a pair of flat nosed pliers and pull back about 5 inches until the hood pops.

6. Reverse the install for the wheel linning and let the car down. ( I have a floor jack, so i jack up the car enough to get the bottom 3 screws of the fender liner.

7. MOST IMPORTANT STEP... HOOK UP THE NEGATIVE TERMINAL!

8. i noticed that the interior liner of the compartment unhooked it self from the rubber seal. I guess, when you pull on the manual cable, it puts a certain amount of stress on the liner. just tuck it back in place. Make sure as to not pull the cable too much as you may pull it through the grommet and thus if you lock yourself out again, you won't have the cable to pull it next time.

i hope this help.

attached are the photos.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Porsche manual release cable photo (5).jpg
Views:	85
Size:	300.8 KB
ID:	244676  
Attached Images  
Old 05-21-2013, 12:24 AM
Jako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to behold
BTW, when i closed the hood, it wouldn't latch again. I guess when you pull the manual cable, the hook needs to be reset. i locked and relocked the car and i guess that did the trick and when i tried to lock again, it worked.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:06 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Thanks for the info - hope I don't have to ever do this. Next time, no reason to disconnect negative terminal when charging.