997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

What I learned about Porsches and McLarens

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 10:58 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by thackl
I think there is a recent video around here of the '14 475hp GT3 beating it handily around a track... just saying. I love the 12c and am considering one
With regards to the EVO video article pitching the 991 GT3 versus the MP4-12C, the lap times were

1:02.7 151.7mph in the straights for the 12C

1:02.6 144.6mph in the straights for the 991 GT3.

"Okay it's probably running stickier tires, it has the Sport Maxx race tires, whatever they are called. It's 140 hp down...but in terms of turning, braking and traction, it murders the 12C."

I'd make the counter argument to Jethro Bovingdon's comment and say that Dunlop Sport Maxx tires are better suited for lap times than standard Pirelli PZeros.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:01 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by zzzspeed
Bob,
you're a class act! Very happy for your new car and hope to read more and more reviews from you and other owners about these amazing cars.
Thank you.

Originally Posted by yrralis1
First I want to congratulate you on buying an amazing car !! I love the 12C and have made every effort not to test drive one because I would want one .

As for the reliability comments I did hear that when the car first arrived it came with growing pains but the informal chatter that i here in current time is that any snags were completely ironed out. This can be said about Porsche too . Initial 997 cars and 991 cars were not exempt from hiccups .

Bob .. you made a great choice !!! I wish I lived in a place where I could drive a car like the 12C daily as my region seems to have a lot of road construction and the the lowest common denominator of driver skill and coutesy seems to be the local norm.

I truly enjoyed reading the write up !!
Best wishes with a great car !!!
Thank you, I appreciate your comments, knowing the thought that you put into your car purchases as well.

Originally Posted by vincentdds
Glad you like your Mp4-12c. Its true enthusiast like you that bring justice to the most fanstatic car on that market. All the critics about this car were full of misinformations. Owner like us who are not fix to any brand will drive it the ways its meant to be driven and tell it likeit is. This is truly one of the fastest handling car on the market. Tons video out there have shown it will out anything under 800hp.
Chat to you more on mlife.
So far, I have had nothing but smiles driving it!

Originally Posted by pureporsche
Damn you Bob... now you have me thinking about a McLaren.

I wonder how reliable these will be once they get into higher millage. Also any clue on servicing costs, periods? I would imagine costs would be in Ferrari territory(?)

Finally - congrats!!! Sooo jealous!
Very little is out there about self servicing the 12C - no info on oil changes, etc. I will have to do research. But service runs about $500-1500 per year depending on what needs to be done.

I'm sure I'll be doing DIYs given some time.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:04 PM
blackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond reputeblackbull has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by thackl
I think there is a recent video around here of the '14 475hp GT3 beating it handily around a track... just saying. I love the 12c and am considering one

Porsche has been know to use "ringers" in their comparison testing.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:16 AM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
Here's an interesting comparison from autocar.
I guess they're going through budget cuts - that "runway" is laughable :P
No launch control either...

Old 09-01-2013, 12:43 PM
93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !
Yea that was a SOFT launch for both cars....

Old 09-03-2013, 09:08 PM
Lamborghini Fanatic
LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !
Bob

Here you go Merry Christmas

Old 09-03-2013, 09:46 PM
Hello Leo - I watched the video last week - thanks for posting it. I need to go on a factory tour!

Old 09-03-2013, 10:25 PM
Lamborghini Fanatic
LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !LeoLambo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
Hello Leo - I watched the video last week - thanks for posting it. I need to go on a factory tour!
Watch it again and again!!!

I saw a video like this about Lamborghini and every time i watched it, i learn something new lol

Old 09-22-2013, 06:11 AM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
Bob,

Congrats on the new ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is this your ex??

http://www.chicagomotorcars.com/web/...inois/1400536/

Jim

Last edited by jjc4scab; 09-22-2013 at 06:21 AM.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:48 PM
keeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond repute
Bob, you need these when you go on that tour

Attached Images     
Old 09-26-2013, 05:01 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
I wrote two articles on the 12C.

First was the flaw that it didn't have an LSD.

The second was a comparison from an owner of a 458 and a 12C (Tony Gaples, World Challenge racer), and he defintely preferred the 458. The lack of LSD was one of the issues.

If you Google San Jose Cars Examiner, you'll find them.

I would be curious to learn your opinon. I currently don't have the time to catch up on the 6 pages, my apologies.

Regardless, an impressive car and I believe Motor Trend with Randy Pobst ran quicker than a 458 at MRLS.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by jjc4scab
Bob,

Congrats on the new ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is this your ex??

http://www.chicagomotorcars.com/web/...inois/1400536/

Yes.

Jim
Originally Posted by keeperofbeasts
Bob, you need these when you go on that tour

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
I wrote two articles on the 12C.

First was the flaw that it didn't have an LSD.

The second was a comparison from an owner of a 458 and a 12C (Tony Gaples, World Challenge racer), and he defintely preferred the 458. The lack of LSD was one of the issues.

If you Google San Jose Cars Examiner, you'll find them.

I would be curious to learn your opinon. I currently don't have the time to catch up on the 6 pages, my apologies.

Regardless, an impressive car and I believe Motor Trend with Randy Pobst ran quicker than a 458 at MRLS.
I really don't want to make this thread a 458 v 12C thread. There have been plenty of those, and most people who comment on those types of threads haven't spent enough time in either car.

That being said, I believe I have read both your articles and found them informative. Your point about the lack of LSD is noted, but personally, I have not found myself in a situation where I'm thinking "I wish this car had an LSD" either on or off the track.

Thus far, I have seen a few issues with the 12C that are part of the growing pains of developing a high performance vehicle for mass production from a company that has not done it before. But in general, I am very happy with the daily driving performance of this car. It is very balanced for daily duty and track work.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:08 AM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !

That being said, I believe I have read both your articles and found them informative. Your point about the lack of LSD is noted, but personally, I have not found myself in a situation where I'm thinking "I wish this car had an LSD" either on or off the track.

Thus far, I have seen a few issues with the 12C that are part of the growing pains of developing a high performance vehicle for mass production from a company that has not done it before. But in general, I am very happy with the daily driving performance of this car. It is very balanced for daily duty and track work.
Thank you.

Regarding the lack of the LSD have you encountered this:
With my '06 SRT-8 before an LSD was standard ('09 iirc), uneven surfaces such as pulling out of a driveway onto a street, would cause one wheel to slip and without the LSD, the Traction Control would engage. Therefore owners would drive with the TC partially off.

Accelerating with (slightly) compromised road surface grip. If "out of the groove" at the dragstrip, or an area that was more damp on one side vs. the other, one tire would give up grip and spin (and increase spinning with throttle application) while the other tire didn't receive the torque transfer.

Have you noticed anything like that? Very curious. Thank you in advance.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:00 AM
Fskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to beholdFskof is a splendid one to behold
Its been almost a year since your first post and its time for an update on the Mclaren. Love to hear the Pro's and Con's of the car. Do you miss the GT2 and how is the seat comfort on long trips? Are they as good as the Porsche's?

Old 07-30-2014, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Thank you.

Regarding the lack of the LSD have you encountered this:
With my '06 SRT-8 before an LSD was standard ('09 iirc), uneven surfaces such as pulling out of a driveway onto a street, would cause one wheel to slip and without the LSD, the Traction Control would engage. Therefore owners would drive with the TC partially off.

Accelerating with (slightly) compromised road surface grip. If "out of the groove" at the dragstrip, or an area that was more damp on one side vs. the other, one tire would give up grip and spin (and increase spinning with throttle application) while the other tire didn't receive the torque transfer.

Have you noticed anything like that? Very curious. Thank you in advance.
And this question as well, thank you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What I learned about Porsches and McLarens