997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Oil in cold side of turbo 997.2tt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 09:23 PM
kinkkink is just really nicekinkkink is just really nicekinkkink is just really nicekinkkink is just really nice
Oil in cold side of turbo 997.2tt

I was installing Champion IC's last week and noticed a thin film of oil in the passenger side stock IC. The driver side setup showed no signs of oil in anything. Also installed an IPD plenum and the stock one also has thin film of oil in it. Took it to the Porsche dealer Saturday and they called this morning to tell me this is normal blow by... Car is still under factory warranty. Is this normal? Looking for advice. Thanks all!

Last edited by kinkkink; 10-13-2014 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:12 AM
TT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to behold
Yes it is !

Old 05-08-2014, 06:24 PM
drsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant future
I ran into the same situation today. I was having my plugs replaced by my indy and when the outlet hose was disconnected from the turbo oil spilled out on to the floor. I was told to pick up the car and take it to Porsche to be looked at for possible turbo seal failure. When I got to Porsche I showed them pictures on the oil and I was told that this is normal. Can anyone chime in about how this happens?

Old 05-08-2014, 07:36 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Usually happens when oil is overfilled.
I keep it right in the middle.
If it's overfilled before being up to temp, once the t-stat signals the sump to open up, engine overfills and crosses to the cold side over the weak turbo seals.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:43 PM
drsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Usually happens when oil is overfilled.
I keep it right in the middle.
If it's overfilled before being up to temp, once the t-stat signals the sump to open up, engine overfills and crosses to the cold side over the weak turbo seals.
So Porsche telling me it is ok, is ok?

Old 05-08-2014, 07:49 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
It's hard to damage vtg seals. Drive it for awhile, then look again, after ruling out overfill.
Usually not an issue, just annoying. On a 930 you have to run it a minute or two to cool down, not needed on a water pumper.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
It's hard to damage vtg seals. Drive it for awhile, then look again, after ruling out overfill.
Usually not an issue, just annoying. On a 930 you have to run it a minute or two to cool down, not needed on a water pumper.
Thanks

Old 05-09-2014, 03:58 AM
TT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to beholdTT-911 is a splendid one to behold
Last time when I said it is normal someone gave me negative rep points and called my answer 'crap'.
So I am not eager to respond again.
But at the risk of bad repping me again here goes.

In short, any engine and a boxer for sure, creates some pressure in the crankcase.
With this pressure oil vapors will be pushed out of the engine. For pollution reasons these vapors can not go in to the open air. They need to be routed through the intake system. But of course these vapors don't all get burned, a small part condenses in the intake tract and will form a puddle in the lowest part of the system.
And that is what you are seeing. This is normal and does not mean you car has been overfilled or has damage. The reason you are seeing this puddle on the left side is because the crank case ventilation is routed towards that side only.

Here is a short video about someone who installed an oil catch can to catch the oil vapors before they enter the inlet system.

And here a detailed explanation at wiki : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crankcase_ventilation_system

Old 05-09-2014, 06:59 AM
Originally Posted by 993S
In short, any engine and a boxer for sure, creates some pressure in the crankcase.
Thanks for that info

Old 05-09-2014, 07:09 AM
First, I never read the rep points, second I agree with you but the PVC vent is minimal, usually just a coating. If it's puddling, think overfill, common in turbos.
C