997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Tune: FVD Genius vs custom dyno tune

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 08:40 PM
eNVy997tt is just really niceeNVy997tt is just really niceeNVy997tt is just really niceeNVy997tt is just really nice
Tune: FVD Genius vs custom dyno tune

I've recently been debating what I need to do for a tune on my 997. Considerations from Softronic, FVD, GIAC, and the option of TopSpeed Motorsports, a notorious local shop doing a custom tune have had me confused. The recent sale deal by Softronic caught my attention at first, then FVD dropped the new Genuis delivery tool (and the Valentine day sale!!!) and after reading through those posts... I have it narrowed down, now the final decision which I seek help of those knowledgeable in the tuning world:

1- A very, very reputable and local to me tuner, TopSpeed Motorsports (TSM), has plenty of Porsche history inc fastest in GT2 class at TX2k, one hell of a track record with unbeatable GTR's everywhere. I understand that they kill it and dominate at TX2k and local 1/2 mile which I have seen. The tuner there Doug Wilks is well known, and renowned as an ecu/dme master. The owner (or one of) has been very helpful and friendly. The service has been great! They have also been doing some pretty amazing things with Lambo's and R8 recently.

2-FVD and the new Genius tool. I love the ease of use, flexibility, and Worldwide Porsche reputation. I don't question the quality, nor the engineering. FVD's rep and following here, in the p car community, and also Rhonda's support here along with the engineering dedication to Porsche exclusively made for a no brainer comparison to the other options offered here to us.

Granted I have heard great things too, and know many are pleased with their Softronic tune etc. but that is not the debate here. I know they are good, but FVD wins for me based on my research and experience so PLEASE let's not make it about which one is best, outside of the 2 listed here.

My confusion lies here: Not all of our cars are the same and need the same. I feel like with a mail order tune, it must be made "generic" for all of our cars and must also air on the "safe" side of the performance level. My assumption is that if a good (good being the important part of this) tuner that is going for the proper goals (smooth linear curve, proper air/fuel etc) tunes MY car, my ecu, in my element, that the results should be better? Considering temp, altitude, pressure etc. here or perhaps something oddly unique about my specific 997tt?... Whatever...that I should yield better results, and a perfect running car with a safe tune?!?!?

I'm not trying to win a hp shoot out here. I want drivability, reliability, and not to leave too much power in the table as a result of making something that should work for every car like mine safely.

I hope this makes sense. I'm not here to bash anyone, and I didn't want to ask in some else's thread where their product is being highlighted. From those with knowledge, wisdom, and experience... Please share your thoughts.

Thanks

Old 01-31-2014, 12:47 AM
93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !93ls1rx7 Is a GOD !
A "custom" tune is always the best but I have to tell you, TSM is just reusing their tunes that they developed for other cars with similar mods. There is only so much tweeking you can do with an exhaust change.

There are two factors that I would weigh in making the decision:

1. What is done to your car? If it is just exhaust or intercoolers then a "box" tune from any of the reputable tuners will give you the same results as a custom tune

2. Cost. Most "custom" tunes are more expensive because you are also paying dyno time and you wont get anything extra out of it.

One last thing to consider if it matters. I believe the FVD tuner can hold multiple "programs" so if you have a warranty, you can easily swap back to the stock flash.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:58 AM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
custom tune isnt necessary on a stock car. get the fvd.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:06 AM
Thenewguy is a glorious beacon of lightThenewguy is a glorious beacon of lightThenewguy is a glorious beacon of lightThenewguy is a glorious beacon of lightThenewguy is a glorious beacon of lightThenewguy is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by 93ls1rx7
A "custom" tune is always the best but I have to tell you, TSM is just reusing their tunes that they developed for other cars with similar mods. There is only so much tweeking you can do with an exhaust change.

There are two factors that I would weigh in making the decision:

1. What is done to your car? If it is just exhaust or intercoolers then a "box" tune from any of the reputable tuners will give you the same results as a custom tune

2. Cost. Most "custom" tunes are more expensive because you are also paying dyno time and you wont get anything extra out of it.

One last thing to consider if it matters. I believe the FVD tuner can hold multiple "programs" so if you have a warranty, you can easily swap back to the stock flash.
Custom Tune will be better 100% of the time. An "off the shelf" tune will NEVER match a custom tune, it's not meant to. A OTS tune is made for a generic set of conditions on a car, and will not take into account anything particular about your car when it's there (time of year etc). Most custom tunes are expensive because you are getting more for your money. They load a file, then dyno tune, then fine tweak it. You will most certainly get something out of it, they have to ability to tweak exactly how much boost the car uses, when it kicks in, how it kicks in (metered, all at once etc).

A basic OTS tune is not a bad way to go. But if you are close to TSM and have the ability to get a custom-dyno tune.....go for it. And btw, they also have the DME cable that they give you, and can go back to stock.

OP: TopSpeed has my Porsche right now. Go there and look at it if you'd like, talk to some of the employees

Old 01-31-2014, 09:06 AM
eNVy997tt is just really niceeNVy997tt is just really niceeNVy997tt is just really niceeNVy997tt is just really nice
Thanks for the input. I guess whats being said here makes sense. I guess I was just thinking that perhaps a more custom tune could be "spot on" all said and done being that making detailed adjustments after a few pulls that result from actual analyzed data from my actual vehicle would ensure no fuel spikes, lean spots etc...? I am and want to be leaning in the FVD direction anyways, I just wanted to see if there were good reasons to go the other way.

Another quandary... considering that I run a catless system, Cargraphic Race, the car stinks! Obviously the flash will take care of the CEL triggered by the o2 readings. I understand that part of the tune will increase boost and adjust fuel parameters etc, and seeing that leaner=faster they will probably lean the fuel mixture not to be so fat or rich, will that assist in reducing the fumes? I know what a catalytic does and that exhaust smell will always be more prominent without them, but I am hoping that the tune will help reduce the stench as there should not be as much unused/raw fuel in the mixture. This in the same theory would improve fuel economy to some degree (when being driven like a law abiding citizen anyways)

Old 01-31-2014, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by Thenewguy
Custom Tune will be better 100% of the time. An "off the shelf" tune will NEVER match a custom tune, it's not meant to. A OTS tune is made for a generic set of conditions on a car, and will not take into account anything particular about your car when it's there (time of year etc). Most custom tunes are expensive because you are getting more for your money. They load a file, then dyno tune, then fine tweak it. You will most certainly get something out of it, they have to ability to tweak exactly how much boost the car uses, when it kicks in, how it kicks in (metered, all at once etc).

A basic OTS tune is not a bad way to go. But if you are close to TSM and have the ability to get a custom-dyno tune.....go for it. And btw, they also have the DME cable that they give you, and can go back to stock.

OP: TopSpeed has my Porsche right now. Go there and look at it if you'd like, talk to some of the employees
That is exactly where my mind was at. TSM is about 5 miles from my house. Ciscio (sure I butchered the spelling) I have met a few times and has always been more than friendly and welcoming. I was going to swing by there yesterday and didnt... what car is yours and what are you having done?

Old 01-31-2014, 09:32 AM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
again. a dyno tune is not necessary on a stock car. in fact, if you are just tuning the car on a dyno (meaning youre not tuning fine tuning on the road) you will have a slower car than an off the shelf, softronic,giac,apr,fvd etc.

you put a car on a dyno to tune when youve changed turbos/injectors etc and need to calibrate the car.. then you take it on the road and start fine tuning. intake air temps, egts, and airflow can not be duplicated on a dyno machine.

and remember, on a stock motor, you can only do so much with a tune anyway, as the vtg's are always limited to 1.1-ish bar on 93 octane.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:23 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I have to echo Steve here, the fvd tune is more than enough. The 555 package for example is already optimized, they'll analyze your ecu currently, your mods etc and customize your tune accordingly. Fvd, no brainier, they've been doing porsche tuning for almost 30 yrs, starting with the 959 fvd conversions back in the day.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:29 PM
greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !
I agree with Steve and ttsurgeon. Just throw a fvd flash and call it a day. Great tune and features for a stock or simple bolt on car

Old 01-31-2014, 07:57 PM
A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !A418t81 Is a GOD !
If you are local to Doug, frankly you'd be crazy not to go there and use him. He both dyno tunes the car and then logs and tweaks it on the street to ensure that it is properly calibrated since their dynojet doesn't load the car like running around on the street does. Custom tuning ALWAYS trumps canned tunes. Always. Canned tunes have to assume a "one size fits all" role that does not lead to optimization of power since have to be very, very conservative to account for all the variances between all the 997TTs out there. He can be as aggressive or as mild as you want. You'll also have local support. Finally, I think you might be surprised by their price, which will be a lot closer to the "special sale price" of the FVD...and one where you have a dyno sheet, and a tune customized specifically to your car and your local fuel quality.

My 997TT shows up tomorrow, and you can bet Doug and Topspeed will be getting my business when it comes to bigger turbos, clutch, etc in the near future.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:11 PM
this is directly from APR... they use the same technologies as FVD in terms of tuning and cracking the ECU...

" Typical data logging software used by most tuners is capable of capturing 4 variables at 3 samples per second. APR's proprietary data acquisition software captures as many as 30 variables at around 22Hz. That's an incredible 55 times more data gathered per second."

theres a lot more to a tune than just a tune. 550 hp from johnys foreign and domestic speed shop tuned by tommy tran is going to be a different animal compared to when wolfgang and bernhard are sitting there fine tuning 100 different parameters.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:19 PM
I thank everyone for the input. I know the idea to most would be..."oh no way would I let some local fly by night shop tweak my Porsche ecu!, leave that to experts" And I don't blame you! The difference lies when you have arguably the best in the business in your back yard! If I was remote, or of any annoying distance there would be NO question. FVD is one for sure, winning team! Engineers, dedication, support and the experience that can be trusted and depended on world wide. But, when you have a notorious wizard, the mastery of Doug Wilks so close... It's difficult to say no. I mean, Tylenol may work for just about every ache and pain, but with 2 broken wrists I know I reached for the Vicodin!

Please keep your thoughts and any particular knowledge coming. I'm still on the fence. Fortunately no real time crunch till vday... Though I will say, I will no doubt need a clutch BEFORE a dyno tune session at TSM, and that $5k I think could be prolonged for some time (how much I do seriously wonder) by the plug and play FVD combined with some moderate self control in driving???

I know and seriously trust that I will be happy either way. The ease and convenience of the FVD Genius is very attractive. And considering that my car isn't heavily modded as above mentioned it may not be a huge difference! Being on the safe side as a result an OTS "all in one" tune ISN'T a bad thing... Especially if were only talking about giving up on a few hp when it's all said and done. I refuse to believe that an OTS box tune will give me everything that's available like a custom dyno and data drive will.... But that said how much are we even debating here. I mean 30% more sounds like a lot, but in reality would one even really notice an extra 15 hp?

Old 02-01-2014, 01:24 AM
what kind of clutch do you have now ? torque is what kills our clutches, not hp.
you probably will see more hp from a dyno tune (on a dyno. 1 run), but my concern is how do they get to that hp ? are they disabling the safety parameters set in the bosch ecu in order to get their hp, vtg turbos get VERY hot QUICK. too high of an etg and you're done, too much back pressure and the motor is done. the motronic on the 997 is very clever

Last edited by DNugget991GT3; 02-01-2014 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:41 AM
Thenewguy is a glorious beacon of lightThenewguy is a glorious beacon of lightThenewguy is a glorious beacon of lightThenewguy is a glorious beacon of lightThenewguy is a glorious beacon of lightThenewguy is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Steve K ny
what kind of clutch do you have now ? torque is what kills our clutches, not hp.
you probably will see more hp from a dyno tune, but my concern is how do they get to that hp ? are they disabling the safety parameters set in the bosch ecu in order to get their hp, vtg turbos get VERY hot QUICK. too high of an etg and you're done, too much back pressure and the motor is done. the motronic on the 997 is very clever
No. The 997 isn't some technological marvel that nobody but softronic and fvd have figured out. These shops (including TopSpeed) have a ton of experience with these engines. They aren't stupid and understand vtgs. A custom dyno tune will be better 100% of the time than an OTS tune. That's a fact. Proven time and time again. Depending on the OPs goal, it may or may not be better to get a dyno tune. If these are the only mods he plans why not do a dyno tune, get the curve perfect, then leave it? If he plans on doing further mods down the road, it would make sense to do all the other mods first, THEN do a dyno tune.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:51 AM
mateush is on a distinguished road
As all our cars get the same software from factory, all can have the same software from tuner.

I think with DFI engine it is better to go with someone with experience with such car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tune: FVD Genius vs custom dyno tune