997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

COBB first impression

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 04:14 AM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
COBB first impression

Hi,

Got my AP v3 on tuesday and decided to try to install it and try a stage 1 map asap (of course).

The AP it self looks and feels like a "quality" product, the documentation online and the actual on-screen instructions are simple and straight forward to follow.

I connected a 5A charger and followed instructions to connect the AP to the ODBII connector.

Quite quickly I got the message that my car wasn't supported but being in europe this didn't really surprise me since there is revisions between markets.

Anyway, I emailed both Steve at maseengineering and cobb support email with the dump of my stock ECU the AP still could download from the car. Both answered within minutes and told me they would help me as soon as possible with getting support from the cobb engineers.

Less than 24h later I get an email saying that I only need to update my AP's firmware with the Accessport Manager application (supports OS-X!) and then retry the install to the car.

Update went smooth and install to the car went perfect this time.

First test drive today using the OTS map stage1 93 (I'm on Shell v-power 99RON) went well, pretty much no difference at all during normal driving, idle is fine and the engine runs normal. At full throttle in 2nd (I'm MT) I get the traction control lamp even on summer tires on dry roads, a good sign, I pressed the sports butting and must say even if its only a stage1 map and the car is fully stock otherwise, its now much improved.

The thought "it should come like this from the factory" comes to mind (repeated a 100times but why not a "void warranty lets have fun"-button on those cars?

I will add exhaust and 997.2 IC's next and work with Steve to look at logs etc etc.

One more thing regarding Cobb vs other tunes, I think resale value hasn't been brought up (enough), I got a good deal on the AP from Steve (some intro deal) and even if I decide to sell the turbo and move on, I can easily sell the AP and my "loss" will be remarkably less than if I had gone with an other solution.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:54 AM
Basic Sponsor
COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !
Glad you like it! Thanks for being patient with us, glad we were able to get you up and running!

Great point on the resale value as well

If you ever need anything in the future please feel free to let us know. You can reach the support engineers anytime at porsche.experts@cobbtuning.com and my personal email is mitch.mckee@cobbtuning.com. Don't hesitate if you need anything at all!

-Mitch

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM BAILEY | JARED BRONSON | GRANT EPHROSS | ANDREW SCHWARZKOPF | HJ LEE

COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE | CONTACT US

Old 03-13-2014, 06:28 PM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
I've been very happy with the AP on my 335i for years. From Street to Full Bolt On, it's done well.

A quality product, regardless.

Resell value is great. Can't resell a tune. I have a useless $600 dongle from a vendor and another $1200 dongle from another vendor sitting in my toolbox. Two tunes I can't use.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:40 PM
rexz419 is just really nicerexz419 is just really nicerexz419 is just really nicerexz419 is just really nicerexz419 is just really nice
Originally Posted by COBB Tuning
Glad you like it! Thanks for being patient with us, glad we were able to get you up and running! Great point on the resale value as well If you ever need anything in the future please feel free to let us know. You can reach the support engineers anytime at porsche.experts@cobbtuning.com and my personal email is mitch.mckee@cobbtuning.com. Don't hesitate if you need anything at all! -Mitch
Do you guys do 997.2 tts?

Old 03-13-2014, 06:52 PM
Basic Sponsor
COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rexz419
Do you guys do 997.2 tts?
We are very close! We are shooting for the end of April!

-Mitch

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM BAILEY | JARED BRONSON | GRANT EPHROSS | ANDREW SCHWARZKOPF | HJ LEE

Old 03-13-2014, 06:57 PM
rexz419 is just really nicerexz419 is just really nicerexz419 is just really nicerexz419 is just really nicerexz419 is just really nice
We are very close! We are shooting for the end of April! -Mitch
good good! cant wait to get one

Old 03-13-2014, 08:29 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dhahlen

Resell value is great. Can't resell a tune. I have a useless $600 dongle from a vendor and another $1200 dongle from another vendor sitting in my toolbox. Two tunes I can't use.
resale value of what? Not sure what the message is here? Seems like the Cobb tool is as worthless as anybody else's tune delivery tool. Am I missing something?

Old 03-13-2014, 09:09 PM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
Are you guys saying that you can take the tune tool and software with you after you sell (I guess after you take out the tune from the car) or to another 911 Turbo?

Old 03-13-2014, 09:12 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Bobbyfali
Are you guys saying that you can take the tune tool and software with you after you sell (I guess after you take out the tune from the car) or to another 911 Turbo?
Nope clearly not.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:25 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by ryem3
resale value of what? Not sure what the message is here? Seems like the Cobb tool is as worthless as anybody else's tune delivery tool. Am I missing something?
The Accessport stores tunes on the car,and it comes with tunes as well. It is not only a tool to load files, it can also datalog, do performance numbers and clear and check codes. Here in the near future we are also adding the ability to check rev ranges.

We are constantly updating what we call OTS (Off the shelf) maps and give the users the ability to run a wide range of setups, and we provide the maps free of charge to AP users. So in the future we plan on running E85 maps, so this map as well as a range of others can be stored on the AP and changed 30 seconds. So the maps are not locked to the previous owner, unless they had a custom tune from one of our Protuners.

Hope that helps.

Mitch

Old 03-13-2014, 09:25 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by Bobbyfali
Yes you can do this.

Mitch

Old 03-13-2014, 10:22 PM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
Yeah, for example, people re-sell their BMW-based COBB's all the time.

When you flash with Cobb, it ties it to your VIN, locks the handheld so you can't flash another. When you remove the flash, the Cobb is now free to flash another VIN. Therefore, the handheld is good for 1-vin at a time.

For example, lets say you had a 2007 997tt and upgraded to a 2009 997tt, still a 997.1, take the cobb with you, reflash it.. as long as you didn't leave the tune on the first one

Old 03-14-2014, 07:16 AM
Yes you can do this.

Mitch
Wow, my apologies and I'm stunned. This has to be the first Porsche tune that isn't locked to a specific VIN! Well done COBB!

Old 03-14-2014, 08:09 AM
webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !webcarconnection Is a GOD !
Hello Mitch!

Friends of Omar at Predator Performance in Puerto Rico... I been telling everyone here that the solution for retune or "back to stock" on porsches is on COBB.

My Alpha 10 GTR was Flawless with COBB... seen all the logs, read codes and retune whenever is necessary was priceless.

Welcome to the Porsche World, this guys need COBB

Last edited by webcarconnection; 03-14-2014 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:15 AM
locus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond reputelocus has a reputation beyond repute
One really good thing about V3 is you can have upto 6 (I believe) gauges on the screen so you know what your boost level is as well as temperature, A/F ratio, etc.

And below is the image I got from google

I'm just wishing Cobb add more OTS maps there.
For GT-R, they do have stock intake map stage 1 & 2.
And full 3" intake stage 1, 2 & 3.
Stage 3 has upgrade fuel injectors (1000cc) and upgrade fuel pumps.
Here are the links for different type of OTS maps

http://www.cobbtuning.com/Accessport...-12-USDM-BigSF

https://static.cobbtuning.com/cobbtu...0GTR_S1_S2.pdf

https://static.cobbtuning.com/cobbtu...3%201000cc.pdf

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bii9.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	346976   Click image for larger version

Name:	evo-x-cobb-accessport-new-v3.jpg
Views:	1380
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	346977  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: COBB first impression