997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Just bought a 997.1tt, needs a diff. Transport damage?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 04:14 PM
deaddana is on a distinguished road
Just bought a 997.1tt, needs a diff. Transport damage?

Anybody know how much these things cost?
Just bought a 2008, from a fellow forum member. A ppi was done. Car was clean. Perfect car

i had it transported from cali to st louis. When it arrived, had a dent in roof and making some metallic thumping under moderate accelaration. And when coming out of garage.

After about 200 miles, i could no longer take it. I kept hoping that it was the documented front tire scrub i hear about on awd 911's.
But quickly realized that something was wrong.

After asking unsucessfully on another thread , if anybody knew what the problem could be, i dropped it off monday to plaza porsche. They've had it 3 days now. They have easily duplicated the problem, and disconnected the awd module, and no noise.

They then ran full diagnostics on module and computer in car. They have been dealing w porsche and after a few more tests , are almost sure its mechanical. - they are thinking front diff.

Im sick, that my new baby is already broken, transportation insurance is covering the dent.

The questions are - anybody know what a diff costs? Anybody think that transport damage could have caused this? And if the front diff is toast , can i drive it safely until knocking gets worse ? I already blew through my original budget of 60k just to get the car. Hate to have a 5k repair on top . ALSO , I FOUND THIS ON EBAY. I GUESS IT SHOULD WORK, SO LABOR GUESS? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-TURB...b255fb&vxp=mtr

Last edited by deaddana; 04-16-2014 at 04:34 PM. Reason: ADDITIONAL INFO
Old 04-16-2014, 04:50 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
That's what you need. It's actually DIY-able.
Are you sure it wasn't damaged already? Did the car ever have a dyno or odd sized fr/rear tires?

Old 04-16-2014, 06:43 PM
mattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the rough
deaddana - I hate to hear about your bad luck with the transport company. Never heard of one damaging a dif though. I also hate to break it to you that you bought an extremely expensive car to fix when it breaks. Hopefully no more unexpected problems!

Old 04-16-2014, 07:23 PM
90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of
I would call the guy who sold you the car and ask him what was wrong with it that made him sell the car. Did you get a PPI and if you did then the dealer or shop that did it should be posted here to stay away from.

Last edited by 90sundevil; 04-16-2014 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:33 PM
Haha

Originally Posted by tt surgeon
that's what you need. It's actually diy-able.
Are you sure it wasn't damaged already? Did the car ever have a dyno or odd sized fr/rear tires?
diy-able for you! I have zero mechanic ability, oil changes only.
I'm not sure it wasn't already damaged. But i'm reasonably certain
1. Another forum member
2. Ppi from sonnen porsche
3. It was consigned at a reputable dealer when i bought it, can't imagine they would let anybody test drive a car , making this scary noise and asking over 70k for it.

The fact that you say its diy-able makes me feel better since the easier the job, the less labor i will have to pay the dealer.

Factory wheels and tires. Don't know about the dyno. Other than the transport dent and bad diff, the car is mint.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by 90sundevil
i would call the guy who sold you the car and ask him what was wrong with it that made him sell the car. Did you get a ppi and if you did then the dealer or shop that did it should be posted here to stay away from.

there was nothing wrong with it , he upgraded to a new one. Yes ppi. But it may not have been dealers fault, shipping company? , just bad luck? Those are 2 options as well.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by mattgarrett
deaddana - i hate to hear about your bad luck with the transport company. Never heard of one damaging a dif though. I also hate to break it to you that you bought an extremely expensive car to fix when it breaks. Hopefully no more unexpected problems!
yeah, ive never heard of a transport co. Hurting a diff either, maybe they rolled it in park? Its stumping the shop, they have been on the phone with porsche for 4 days. Id shudder to think about the diagnostic fee. I know they are expensive to fix, but no more than amg or any other high end machine. In fact , i bought this 911 because of my prior experiance with several 911's ive owned in the past. They've all been rock solid. Owned 2 boxsters - bought them new in 2000 and 2003. Blew the engines in both. Covered under warranty but the bill was over 15k on each, so i told by my sa. I guess its just bad timing and or karma.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:57 PM
90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of90sundevil has much to be proud of
I would get Sonnen Porsche or the repeatable Porsche dealer you bought it from involved and hope they back a car they PPI'd or sold because they would look like carp on here if they did not.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:01 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I wonder if they flat towed it at any point, that would burn it out.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:31 AM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 90sundevil
I would call the guy who sold you the car and ask him what was wrong with it that made him sell the car. Did you get a PPI and if you did then the dealer or shop that did it should be posted here to stay away from.
Whats that going to do? Thats whats wrong with a PPI, Could have beena slight problem and whatever they dropped on the car to dent the roof might have pushed it over the edge.

Again #1 reason a PPI is useless: You now hold a 100$ plus piece of paper in your hand that you will never be able to hold anyone too nor is it worth the 100$ you spent on it.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:13 AM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by deaddana
yeah, ive never heard of a transport co. Hurting a diff either, maybe they rolled it in park? Its stumping the shop, they have been on the phone with porsche for 4 days. Id shudder to think about the diagnostic fee. I know they are expensive to fix, but no more than amg or any other high end machine. In fact , i bought this 911 because of my prior experiance with several 911's ive owned in the past. They've all been rock solid. Owned 2 boxsters - bought them new in 2000 and 2003. Blew the engines in both. Covered under warranty but the bill was over 15k on each, so i told by my sa. I guess its just bad timing and or karma.
Dude my car started making a noise after a transport co took it too. Spent a grand to find it was nothing and it went away but some of these cos might just take it for a joy ride.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by Squat
Whats that going to do? Thats whats wrong with a PPI, Could have beena slight problem and whatever they dropped on the car to dent the roof might have pushed it over the edge.

Again #1 reason a PPI is useless: You now hold a 100$ plus piece of paper in your hand that you will never be able to hold anyone too nor is it worth the 100$ you spent on it.
Absolutely GD right!

Old 04-17-2014, 10:35 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Sounds to me like it was transported incorrectly, or abused in transit.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:09 AM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
the front diff does not work when the car is off...

Old 04-18-2014, 02:04 PM
Tt and squat

Originally Posted by tt surgeon
absolutely gd right!
you guys are correct in saying that you can't really hold someone responsible, but don't forget ....... Although you guys might know your way around a 911, some of us ( myself) don't know squat.

Its good piece of mind knowing a car has good compression, and has at least been checked out by someone with vastly superior skills than me, and with the correct tools. He may not find out every little defect, but he will turn up more than i could. And at $100-200
its cheaper than a survey on a boat. Which is basically the same thing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just bought a 997.1tt, needs a diff. Transport damage?