997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Manual vs Tiptronic production numbers 997.1 Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 11:22 AM
WearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond repute
Manual vs Tiptronic production numbers 997.1 Turbo

Guys is there a listing of just how many Tiptronics vs Manual 997.1 turbos were made.

I have been looking locally and 100% of the cars for sale have been tiptronics and I would like to know just how much trouble it is going to be to find a good 09 manual so I can have the updated PCM.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:32 PM
550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by WearyMicrobe
Guys is there a listing of just how many Tiptronics vs Manual 997.1 turbos were made.

I have been looking locally and 100% of the cars for sale have been tiptronics and I would like to know just how much trouble it is going to be to find a good 09 manual so I can have the updated PCM.
I'm afraid it's going to be a challenging search. As you can see from PCNA's press release, the sales numbers for turbos in 2009 were small, 321 couples and 551 cabs. That's calendar year sales, not model year sales and obviously there were 2009 models sold in late 2008. I don't think there were many 2010 997.2 cars sold in CY 2009. In any case the numbers were small as they wound down in preparation for the updated version I guess. Also, the economy was in the tank in 2009, not a good time for high ticket items.
You have to assume the majority of the 872 TT's sold in 2009 were tiptronic, I'm guessing higher installation rates in the cab? There are 6 speeds out there, I was able to find one and with a little patience coupled with perseverance you should be able to find one too. Good luck!

http://press.porsche.com/news/release.php?id=514

Old 04-19-2014, 09:45 PM
WearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 550bryan
I'm afraid it's going to be a challenging search. As you can see from PCNA's press release, the sales numbers for turbos in 2009 were small, 321 couples and 551 cabs. That's calendar year sales, not model year sales and obviously there were 2009 models sold in late 2008. I don't think there were many 2010 997.2 cars sold in CY 2009. In any case the numbers were small as they wound down in preparation for the updated version I guess. Also, the economy was in the tank in 2009, not a good time for high ticket items.
You have to assume the majority of the 872 TT's sold in 2009 were tiptronic, I'm guessing higher installation rates in the cab? There are 6 speeds out there, I was able to find one and with a little patience coupled with perseverance you should be able to find one too. Good luck!

http://press.porsche.com/news/release.php?id=514
Oh looks like I am in for a treat trying to find one. At least they made more Cab's then coupes.

There is a 08 cab, manual, locally for sale here that my wife and I went up to take a look at today. Its stripped out though, basically just full leather and sport chrono and adaptive seats. not sure on the lack of updates that you get on the 09's but its local and way under what I was expecting to spend.

Black/Black/Black is not my first choice though on color though.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:21 AM
550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of550bryan has much to be proud of
Oh looks like I am in for a treat trying to find one. At least they made more Cab's then coupes.

There is a 08 cab, manual, locally for sale here that my wife and I went up to take a look at today. Its stripped out though, basically just full leather and sport chrono and adaptive seats. not sure on the lack of updates that you get on the 09's but its local and way under what I was expecting to spend.

Black/Black/Black is not my first choice though on color though.
I hear you on black, looks great, but man are they tough to maintain. The preferred list of options on an 6 speed 09 would probably include; sports chrono (vitally standard), adaptive sports seats, sports steering wheel, short shifter, limited slip diff, XM radio, universal audio interface, bluetooth, PCCB's (rare on an 09) with other trim options to suit your taste. Finding everything you want might be tough but your car is out there.....good luck....

Old 04-20-2014, 10:06 AM
I hear you on black, looks great, but man are they tough to maintain. The preferred list of options on an 6 speed 09 would probably include; sports chrono (vitally standard), adaptive sports seats, sports steering wheel, short shifter, limited slip diff, XM radio, universal audio interface, bluetooth, PCCB's (rare on an 09) with other trim options to suit your taste. Finding everything you want might be tough but your car is out there.....good luck....
If I gave up on the manual its a easy search. There is a white on red up north that looks like a coke dealer special (which I like the color of) but I cannot get past the transmission. This had a 171K or so MSRP new.

The local dealer has offered to wrap the black car in any color I like "at cost" which might be a way to go about it.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:13 PM
If I gave up on the manual its a easy search. There is a white on red up north that looks like a coke dealer special (which I like the color of) but I cannot get past the transmission. This had a 171K or so MSRP new.

The local dealer has offered to wrap the black car in any color I like "at cost" which might be a way to go about it.
IMHO wraps are a cool, but a very temporary solution. They look good for awhile (if they are done right, which often isn't the case) but they are not durable, prone to staining and lifting unless your car is a complete "garage queen", which you hope a TT never becomes....Of course if you only plan to keep it for a short ownership cycle you can pull the wrap off to sell it, and the paint underneath will not have deteriorated at all....

Old 04-20-2014, 12:49 PM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
Why in the world would you want a manual? to call yourself a purist? I guess its like this. Tip guys sit down to watch a formula F1 race. Manual "purists" watch nascar. I mean only real drivers row gears right?

Old 04-20-2014, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by Squat
Why in the world would you want a manual? to call yourself a purist? I guess its like this. Tip guys sit down to watch a formula F1 race. Manual "purists" watch nascar. I mean only real drivers row gears right?
Because it is fun. Simple as that, my old ACR would be 1-2 seconds a lap faster at with me behind the wheel at Leguna with something like a PDK but still not as fun.

If I was building a quarter mile monster or if I was buying a coupe for track use I would go PDK but I am going to use it as my DD so fun wins. Also I am totally Nascar over F1 any day of the week, I have hot rods that shoot flames and have never owned anything other then a Harley with two wheels.

IMHO wraps are a cool, but a very temporary solution. They look good for awhile (if they are done right, which often isn't the case) but they are not durable, prone to staining and lifting unless your car is a complete "garage queen", which you hope a TT never becomes....Of course if you only plan to keep it for a short ownership cycle you can pull the wrap off to sell it, and the paint underneath will not have deteriorated at all....

It's going to be a DD so the wrap would more then likely not stand up to the abuse. But it would make finding a car easier, there are a ton of black on blacks out there.

Last edited by WearyMicrobe; 04-20-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:04 PM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
So then buy something with a manual, heck buy a 356. Thats fun. Why buy a car like a turbo to be slower than the autos, because they are enjoying the road while you enjoy gears, I mean just to say you have a turbo.
Frankly give a real 356 is about the same money I'd have more fun enjoying the gears in an old restored speedster than a modern supercar.
Its like no thanks I dont want the F22 fighter, with a jet engine, gimme the one with a prop, its so much fun to work the engine mixtures.. .im a purist and does the crew chief that hand cranks the engine available? I wanna yell at him "contact"

to each their own. But I'll take the faster more fun car. You feel so much more of the driving experience in the tip or PDK i guess. I am so happy I got the tip and I will never buy a Porsche Manual. I have never wished I had a Manual, and I was a "purist" before i got it. Feeling the shifting of weight and acceleration puts you so much more in touch with the car.

Too each their own....

Seeing you are so into the opposite of what Germans do, supercar efficiency. Why dont you get a Zr1 z06 or the Zl1 camaro? Those would fit everything you want.

frankly I would rather a victory over a harley. No over priced slow union made for me This is coming from a guy that has at least one decent level amateur bass fishing tournament win and a boat that is 84 mph ( proven) on a good day. So don't think I dont have a healthy streak of good ole American power in me.
I just see a lot of guys getting a porsche for the wrong reasons.

Last edited by Squat; 04-20-2014 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:28 PM
So then buy something with a manual, heck buy a 356. Thats fun. Why buy a car like a turbo to be slower than the autos, because they are enjoying the road while you enjoy gears, I mean just to say you have a turbo.

frankly I would rather a victory over a harley. No over priced slow union made for me This is coming from a guy that has at least one decent level amateur bass fishing tournament win and a boat that is 84 mph ( proven) on a good day. So don't think I dont have a healthy streak of good ole American power in me.

I have had 4 356, two of which were speedsters. 1 x 930, 2 x 964 and a 2x 996 on of which was a GT3. If people in California did not drive like they had there heads up there butts I would do it again but I need airbags now. I also like power hence turbo, or I will end up modifying a base car until it costs more then the turbo did in the first place. I tend to do that.

I get you on the victory bikes but man the service has been terrible out here, maybe we have a bad dealers so I have avoided them. I hope that with Indian now in there stable they step up a bit.

Old 04-20-2014, 02:33 PM
turbonut has much to be proud ofturbonut has much to be proud ofturbonut has much to be proud ofturbonut has much to be proud ofturbonut has much to be proud ofturbonut has much to be proud ofturbonut has much to be proud ofturbonut has much to be proud ofturbonut has much to be proud of
The OP simply prefers a manual he did care for a lecture of what is better.

Why do people want Rolex's? You have to wind them manually every couple days, where as a Timex digital keeps way better time, with way less effort!
There are finer things in life that people enjoy, for me and the OP PDK ( Pleasure Driving Killer) is not one of them. And btw a 6 speed MT Turbo is ridiculously fun.

Old 04-20-2014, 04:42 PM
997ttR is a glorious beacon of light997ttR is a glorious beacon of light997ttR is a glorious beacon of light997ttR is a glorious beacon of light997ttR is a glorious beacon of light997ttR is a glorious beacon of light
I am with the 6 speed trany guys, IMHO automatic is kind of boring specially in a Turbo car. Leave the automatic for a Carrera or Panamera or ...... but the turbo.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:08 PM
Frankly give a real 356 is about the same money I'd have more fun enjoying the gears in an old restored speedster than a modern supercar.
Its like no thanks I dont want the F22 fighter, with a jet engine, gimme the one with a prop, its so much fun to work the engine mixtures.. .im a purist and does the crew chief that hand cranks the engine available? I wanna yell at him "contact"

to each their own. But I'll take the faster more fun car. You feel so much more of the driving experience in the tip or PDK i guess. I am so happy I got the tip and I will never buy a Porsche Manual. I have never wished I had a Manual, and I was a "purist" before i got it. Feeling the shifting of weight and acceleration puts you so much more in touch with the car.

Too each their own....

Seeing you are so into the opposite of what Germans do, supercar efficiency. Why dont you get a Zr1 z06 or the Zl1 camaro? Those would fit everything you want.

Squat, Shouldn't you cut the threads author a little slack? It's not as if he dissed tiptronics, he simply pointed out that they are the prevalent configuration for sale out there. I think that's because there are more people looking for and buying 6 speeds. It may not be your cup of tea, but why criticize others for enjoying the involvement of driving a 6 speed? Yes, everyone agrees a 6 speed doesn't deliver on the drag strip, but guess what, that's not what many owners buy a turbo for. They're not into racing GTR's so much. Given that he's looking for an 09 the choice isn't between a 6 speed or a PDK, it's between a 6 speed or a tiptronic. That changes the equation for many buyers.
If that doesn't convince you here's what Walter Rohrl had to say recently on the subject "But for myself, if I want to buy a car, and I want to say I keep this car for the next 20 years, I would always take a manual gearbox, because I believe more, I trust more in a manual than in a double clutch."

Last edited by 550bryan; 04-20-2014 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:58 PM
kenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond reputekenromero has a reputation beyond repute
Squat, Shouldn't you cut the threads author a little slack? It's not as if he dissed tiptronics, he simply pointed out that they are the prevalent configuration for sale out there. I think that's because there are more people looking for and buying 6 speeds. It may not be your cup of tea, but why criticize others for enjoying the involvement of driving a 6 speed? Yes, everyone agrees a 6 speed doesn't deliver on the drag strip, but guess what, that's not what many owners buy a turbo for. They're not into racing GTR's so much. Given that he's looking for an 09 the choice isn't between a 6 speed or a PDK, it's between a 6 speed or a tiptronic. That changes the equation for many buyers.
If that doesn't convince you here's what Walter Rohrl had to say recently on the subject "But for myself, if I want to buy a car, and I want to say I keep this car for the next 20 years, I would always take a manual gearbox, because I believe more, I trust more in a manual than in a double clutch."

Couldn't say it better myself... To EACH their own. I have a TIP and am satisfied but would NEVER criticize someone else for any different selection. Just answer WearyMicrobe's question. We are not here to criticize but to help each other.

Old 02-03-2018, 05:13 AM
DFWLovesCars is an unknown quantity at this point
Actually as someone who owns both Rolexes the manual is such a pain compared to the automatic (although I will say it is less maintence).

Same with manual cars, yes manuals let you feel the car more is really a perception thing I think vs a Dual clutch in full manual. The only difference is literally you operating a clutch vs the car.

Originally Posted by turbonut
The OP simply prefers a manual he did care for a lecture of what is better.

Why do people want Rolex's? You have to wind them manually every couple days, where as a Timex digital keeps way better time, with way less effort!
There are finer things in life that people enjoy, for me and the OP PDK ( Pleasure Driving Killer) is not one of them. And btw a 6 speed MT Turbo is ridiculously fun.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Manual vs Tiptronic production numbers 997.1 Turbo