997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Good news for Techart Steering Wheel: Much cheaper now!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 12:03 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VID997
I think you might appreciate this clip and it will explain why I like a consistsnt diameter with the outer perimeter of the steering wheel. Note how I grab and feed the wheel through my hands while driving through the course. All those odd, ergo shapes and indents, would impede the flow of the wheel through the hands and create a choppy line. Smooth and consistent input equals faster lap times. Although you

are not chasing numbers and just looking for tactile pleasure while DD'ing, I think your new wheel will bring you great enjoyment!

Cheers,
VID
Hey D, thanks for sharing. Yes this wheel is for me strictly and 100% about subjective feel for my daily commute. Thicker grab is usually more comfortable, especially for older/arthritic hand (not me ok , just a general statement). And I really do love the thicker M3 wheel so much more than our Porsche wheel.
I have no idea what parameters are considered good for a racetrack wheel. What do people use at the track?

Old 05-25-2014, 12:05 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ReconTrojan
Is there a core charge? do u keep your factory wheel?
Yes there is a core charge. The 1800 cost for the Techart wheel is only if you give them your wheel.

Old 05-25-2014, 01:59 PM
cjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cannga
I have no idea what parameters are considered good for a racetrack wheel. What do people use at the track?
I've used a Personal "Fittipaldi" for many years, and love it. It has some contouring but it's not extreme and the wheel provides great grip and control. I installed a quick-release hub for easier entry/exit. Old photo but this is it:

The user interface by cjcam, on Flickr

The Momo Prototipo is probably the most common wheel seen in vintage Europoean race cars. The Momo Monte Carlo is also very popular and comes in a smaller diameter - I had one or two previously.

Prototipo (not my photo):

In modern cars you see all sorts but in general they aren't wildly contoured or uber-thick.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1468737415_c960236a9f_z.jpg
Views:	741
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	378565   Click image for larger version

Name:	MG_7170_copy.jpg
Views:	987
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	378566  
Old 05-25-2014, 08:06 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cannga
Below is article on Motortrend on "Top 10 Coolest Steering Wheel," I am not surprised at all that the M3's simple steering wheel is on the list. It is really one of the best that I have ever felt, among the many cars that I've driven: supple leather, perfect overall diameter, perfect grip diameter.
http://www.motortrend.com/features/c...ls/bmw_m3.html
Not that I ever personally found Motor Trend to be much of an authority, but you will note that the new sport design Porsche wheel is also on the list. I have this wheel and I really find it very nice. Porsche finally stepped up the steering wheel in its cars. They are still using the same wheel in the 991 and the other current models. I'm going to trim mine in carbon and be done with it!

Old 05-25-2014, 08:45 PM
^^^C, I've driven both 997.2 Turbo and 991; I don't know if there is a thicker option but in those 2 cars that I drove, the steering wheel thickness is definitely less than Techart's, and very likely M3's as well.

In other words, the latest stock Porsche steering wheels are indeed super nice, but *if* it's thicker than normal you are looking for, I suspect you'll have to go after-market.

campbell, thanks for the pics and comment re. steering wheel for racetrack. Indeed, very simple, and not too thick.

Last edited by cannga; 05-25-2014 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:09 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
True enough. And I've done all the aftermarket, including the Alcantara M3 performance wheel. Thicker is better, although you may find that you aren't going to be able to see the oil temp and the oil pressure gauges after you install the wheel. I've had both the dct and Dallas Custom wheels on the 997.1.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:31 PM
It is HEEEEERE....
Unfortunately I am quite busy for the next couple of weeks as far as installation; could hardly wait.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:44 PM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
Cannga, So has your car been out of commission this whole time, while having to send your wheel first as a core exchange?

And know you need to wait a few more weeks for the install....you must be going through withdraws!!!!

Old 05-28-2014, 11:46 PM
Originally Posted by VID997
Cannga, So has your car been out of commission this whole time, while having to send your wheel first as a core exchange?

And know you need to wait a few more weeks for the install....you must be going through withdraws!!!!
Hi D, no, you don't need to send in your wheel first. You order the wheel from Techart; they then make one in Germany using cores that they already have, then they collect your old steering wheel at the time of installation.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:42 PM
I came by Techart shop today in Irvine for installation. My beige Techart steering wheel is gorgeous to hold and wonderfully super thick around the 3 and 9 o'clock position.

And it has a Techart badge.

Mistake is ok except OCD me, I am **SURE**, had emphasized "no stinking badge" a minimum 6, 7 times at the time the order was placed, AND sent an email to re-emphasize afterwards.
Very frustrating. Aarrgh. Arrrrrgh!! I can't be too rough on the people I still need :-), otherwise... But anyway, from the brief time that I held the thing in my hands, this is the one to get guys.

Last edited by cannga; 06-06-2014 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:57 PM
My at times comical Techart saga is coming to an end, it seems. It has taken 3 attempts, 4 months to make this steering wheel: the first attempt came with Techart badge which I specifically said I didn't want; the second attempt had smooth leather all around instead of having perforated leather around the hand grip like it should - don't ask why they did that. Each time I made a needless drive to Techart Irvine, only to find out that it's the wrong thing.

Well the third one is here but I am so gun shy by now that I am almost afraid to drive to Techart Irvine to see it LOL. Maybe I should have gone with DCT .

Old 09-06-2014, 02:39 PM
Wow, detailed review and pics to come, but briefly, all is forgiven!

The steering wheel is gorgeous, quality is top-notch as expected of Techart Germany, but most importantly, it's a totally different grip and gives such a different driving sensation: more muscular and firm, and definitely more in-control sensation.

Recommended, without reservation!

Old 09-06-2014, 03:23 PM
What a fiasco. I can only recommend having people send pics of what they are about to send you to verify. Not everyone will do it though. Glad you are liking it. The old .1 wheels are really a weak point.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:15 PM
cjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, after reading your original posts I almost went this route. Boy I'm glad I didn't! I went with the XPA factory-option wheel, which I love and scored for <50% of normal street price. A good steering wheel really transforms the driving experience!

Old 09-07-2014, 10:58 AM
C & Chris,

LOL fiasco is right. Yeah it's a good thing there is no other way I could get it, plus Techart USA was super nice and went out of their way to please me. The fault was some "cheap labor" guy in Germany (kidding, cheap labor in Germany = oxymoron) who seems to have a mind of his own. Chris congrats; XPA thick is what I had.

The good thing is that I think everyone including me has learned a lesson: ONE we don't need no stinking badge, and TWO, keep the freakin' perforated leather already unless customer says something.

For everyone else who owns Turbo that are a few years old: if you drive your car a lot (mine is 50 k miles), that leather over time becomes very hard and shinny, and therefore slippery and no longer feels like the original wheel. You should consider changing the steering wheel - it's a new driving experience. It's like owning a new car :-). Very very happy and thanks to those who have brought Techart steering wheel to my attention.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Good news for Techart Steering Wheel: Much cheaper now!