997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Salvage Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 12:48 PM
sunset gun will become famous soon enoughsunset gun will become famous soon enough
One other fly in the ointment: Re: left-side damage...how's the convertible top mechanism and all its little actuators, limit switches, widgets, etc.? Sorry to rain on it, but price is IMHO, way too high. Way. BTW, regardless of what anybody told you, NOBODY knows if the shell is racked/twisted/bent until lots of sheetmetal is out of the way and the car is on a laser body aligner.
I would pay the value of the engine and transaxle, as they sit now-$20-25.

Best of luck

Old 06-08-2014, 01:09 PM
HP11 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by sunset gun
One other fly in the ointment: Re: left-side damage...how's the convertible top mechanism and all its little actuators, limit switches, widgets, etc.? Sorry to rain on it, but price is IMHO, way too high. Way. BTW, regardless of what anybody told you, NOBODY knows if the shell is racked/twisted/bent until lots of sheetmetal is out of the way and the car is on a laser body aligner.
I would pay the value of the engine and transaxle, as they sit now-$20-25.

Best of luck
Thanks for the very detailed and objective comment. I had no idea about the laser body aligner...and the top is "supposed" to work just fine...or so the seller says. But I get your point, buy as in "worst case scenario"...implying I'm basically buying an engine and transaxle. Had not considered this. Usually, the cars on this guy's site sell fast and no one has put a deposit on this car yet.

Plus, I am finding out there is more to this rebuild process than I thought.

Thanks for the feedback!

Old 06-08-2014, 03:40 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I'd pass.

Old 06-08-2014, 04:17 PM
HP11 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I'd pass.
Any additional reasons, other than what has already been mentioned?

Thanks

Old 06-08-2014, 05:15 PM
Shark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really nice
Originally Posted by Redwine702
?? Highly unlikely regarding the tiptronic being an issue aside from salvage but if your saying if it's a normal car that tiptronic is gonna be a tough sell your sadly mistaken everyone doesn't want a manual
Yep, with the PDKs depreciating at a good clip.....who is going to want a tiptronic 3-4 years from now?

Old 06-08-2014, 05:36 PM
twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Shark01
Yep, with the PDKs depreciating at a good clip.....who is going to want a tiptronic 3-4 years from now?
Agreed tips are a love it or hate it option & i would say most people hate it, so it's def gonna lower the value of the car compared to a 6 speed ,tips have always been less money in the used market.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:07 PM
Redwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond repute
People that don't want to shift!

Old 06-08-2014, 06:08 PM
Redwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond reputeRedwine702 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by twturbo
Agreed tips are a love it or hate it option & i would say most people hate it, so it's def gonna lower the value of the car compared to a 6 speed ,tips have always been less money in the used market.
Lol don't know what your quoting but that's not true and not everyone likes to shift but different strokes for different folks but it ain't gonna lower the value of the car period

Old 06-08-2014, 08:40 PM
Goldduster is on a distinguished road
Without the damage or salvage title its a $75k car; so you're buying it for the value of parts and when you go to sell it, you'll do the same.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:45 PM
Shark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really nice
People that don't want to shift!
Yes....they will buy a PDK.

Old 06-08-2014, 08:54 PM
Yes....they will buy a PDK.
Lol unless they want the best engine made 07-09

Old 06-08-2014, 09:58 PM
a_wlee is on a distinguished road
Tip vs Manual

Porsche sold so many tips if there weren't buyers for tips they would never of made it! If I had the extra money i buy a PDK yes but if they don't have the extra cash they would do with a tip for $15-20k less. But sorry not to get away from the main topic my brother bought a salvage lexus and he has had nothing but problems with it. So I would definitely pay the extra bucks for a non salvage

Old 06-09-2014, 07:31 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
That frame looks pretty twisted up. You will have to strip the car and put it on a rig in order to get it right, as well as possibly section it (weld in new material) at the points where it kinked/bent. Unless you *really* know what you are doing I would stay far away from this.

Cars get salvage titled for different reasons, but one with this much apparent damage is not a good way to go for such a high powered car in my opinion.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:45 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
The best and easiest point to consider here is this.....When experts that do this for a living, determine that they would rather sell as salvage and it is not worth them fixing it...WELL...There's your sign They totalled the car and issued salvage on it for a reason...and that is because it will cost more to repair it than it is worth - salvage value. Now honestly...if you could get it reeel cheap. Sell the motor, tip tranny, wheels, top, decklid w/spolier and the expensive interior pieces...you might come out ahead...but if you try to fix it...you will likely be fixing it as long as you own it...Just another viewpoint...

DC

Old 06-09-2014, 07:51 PM
Squat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to beholdSquat is a splendid one to behold
?? Highly unlikely regarding the tiptronic being an issue aside from salvage but if your saying if it's a normal car that tiptronic is gonna be a tough sell your sadly mistaken everyone doesn't want a manual
+1 Some people like to get the most out of their cars and not be as fast as a mustang.
I love idiots and yeah, idiots that have never driven a tip, talking @#@! about them when its just a better faster car than their glorious manuals ( but they are a purist...LOL they would the crank start engine if it was sold)
Frankly I would NEVER buy a manual, and everyone i know that tries my tip wishes they got one. Of course they will post on the local board how they love the 6sp....

40k is pretty high IMHO. I would sell my 07 for mid 60's and its not been wrecked...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Salvage Turbo