6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   997 Turbo / GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2-58/)
-   -   Considering Converting to RWD....Has anyone successfully done this???? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-turbo-gt2/350520-considering-converting-rwd-has-anyone-successfully-done.html)

IIVVX 07-03-2017 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by VID997 (Post 4645619)
WOW! Forgot all about this thread. Let's just say the plan was scrapped after deciding on a vendor who had a solution....

Since then a lot has changed. I dropped my car off with the vendor noted above on 09-11-2015....its still at their shop....

can you tell me why the plan was scrapped? couldn't get the electrics to work?

the mechanical aspects seem easy for this swap but the electronics don't

VID997 07-03-2017 08:20 PM

Yes, it was mainly an electronics issue (nightmare). Its a relatively simple and straightforward procedure with 996 based AWD vehicles, but not the same for the 997 AWD platform.

A lot has been going on behind the scenes with R&D, custom suspension modifications along with bespoke bits to get the car set-up with proper alignment. All this, in order to perform at the next level.

I hope to be back on track, mid to late August.

Pendl303 07-07-2017 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by IMI A (Post 4648482)
Can you not just remove the front drive shaft like another 6S member has done leaving everything else in place for rwd? i realise this is no good to OP as he wants to be light weight in his racer but for me this would be a neat route to rwd.

I might be wrong, I believe it has worked for some street cars. But the cars that see a track were having throttle cuts and traction issues?

akunob 07-09-2017 04:38 PM

VID, I understand that you already had a lot invested in this car to begin with but in hindsight, given that you're a serious track guy would it have been a better financial decision to have sold the 997.1TT, recouped some $$ on the myriad of parts you had acquired over the years and purchased a 991 GT3 (engine issue aside)? You could then have built a dedicated track focused 991 GT3, even going the GT3 Street Cup route if you so desired.

It's just that we know that the TT platform isn't ideal for the track and you've gone quite a ways to rectify this inherent shortcoming. Would it have been better to simply shift platforms earlier in the process?

VID997 07-20-2017 07:09 PM

Akunob,

My apologies for the delayed reply.

The thought of paying the shop to take everything off they had installed, then reinstalling all the OEM bits, not to mention having to buy some new parts to complete the task, sickened me!

Then there's the laborious task of selling the "track" bits and mods for pennies on the dollar while taking a huge hit on the sale of my vehicle, which I custom ordered to spec and had shipped to CA from Florida.

All said and done, I may have cleared $75K or so...maybe $85K max...which left me still having to cough-up a considerable sum in order to get into a new "track car".

997.1/.2 CUP was the direction, but everything in my price range ($100-$125) needed motor and tranny rebuilds due to the high hours. Therefore, within the first few months of ownership I would have to fork out another $35K-$40K+ for the rebuilds and service work. Of course, I needed to factor in running cost and track support....it just didn't make financial sense.

I spent time in 991 GT3's, but they really didn't do anything for me. Plus I would just have to dump truck loads of cash into the new platform to make it a "track car". Been there, done that, no thanks!

What really inspired me was the 2013 991 Carrera S Continental Spec BGB race car I drove and raced at Sonoma. The owner of the vehicle is a rather accomplish racer and has owned several "factory" race cars. He said as many others have, CUP's are fun, but the burn rate gets old after a few seasons. Running a street platform is a more economical approach, which doesn't require track support and ridiculous PMNA service work & parts after every few outings.

Yes, the turbo platform has its "shortcomings", but somehow I was able to make it work on track and be very competitive with it up against full blown race cars.

I have taken it this far... yes, I'm in deep. Some may say too deep... but I couldn't see pulling the plug and starting over with something new or someone else's nightmare.

Had I known this project was going to take 22 plus months, I would have seriously considered a different platform and marquee altogether.

Ms4cd 07-20-2017 10:07 PM

Very nice! I see you are local, what shop is doing all the work?

mikestyle 07-24-2017 03:49 PM

VID997 your car is a 997.2 correct?

I still have not had one issue with my 997.1 RWD

VID997 07-24-2017 04:37 PM

its a dot one. We were trying to remove the front axles, diff, and driveshaft. With all those items out, things worked fine on the street and hard "straight-line" driving. Its when you take it to a road course and start loading the car up with heavy lateral g-loads its not happy.

I have heard you can just remove the driveshaft and all works fine. My case, the front diff failed, as were the front axles every 100 miles or so.

Everyone who claims their .1/.2 RWD's work just fine have never come back with any road course data proving the RWD system worked without going in the limp mode or cutting off power delivery mid turn or on exit. 996 yes, 997 no.

rix 07-25-2017 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by VID997 (Post 4652969)
its a dot one. We were trying to remove the front axles, diff, and driveshaft. With all those items out, things worked fine on the street and hard "straight-line" driving. Its when you take it to a road course and start loading the car up with heavy lateral g-loads its not happy.

I have heard you can just remove the driveshaft and all works fine. My case, the front diff failed, as were the front axles every 100 miles or so.

Everyone who claims their .1/.2 RWD's work just fine have never come back with any road course data proving the RWD system worked without going in the limp mode or cutting off power delivery mid turn or on exit. 996 yes, 997 no.

Syvecs ECU? Should be able to do whatever you want with an S6+.

Edgemonty007 07-25-2017 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by mikestyle (Post 4652956)
VID997 your car is a 997.2 correct?

I still have not had one issue with my 997.1 RWD

Hey Mike. Did you simply disconnect the driveshaft or did you do a bunch of things to the car?

mikestyle 07-27-2017 03:08 PM

I just took out my drive shaft, no issues for very aggressive street driving/ cornering but it is impossible to load the car up with G force like you do on the track on the road!

VID997 07-29-2017 02:03 AM

Freshly powder coated tow hook and all new CUP shrouding with PWR 55mm IMSA spec radiators.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...c63be798c2.jpg

VID997 08-07-2017 02:09 PM

Front splitter getting fitted....

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...5a2c7ff133.jpg

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...742cd19a95.jpg