997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Race tune, timing, and knock question...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 07:51 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by roncooper
Also I would guarantee that the other companies such as GAIC and those that flash the ECU and do not provide a way of actively live time logging nor pulling logs are riding the knock sensors.
This is a wildly inaccurate statement. Users who have GIAC software installed in their cars can actively log their cars using Durametric, just the same as any other car. Your comments are completely inaccurate.

The OP of this thread has GIAC software installed, and the whole reason he posted this was because he pulled logs and looked at the data, so I'm not quite sure where your accusations are coming from.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:53 AM
nuclearfishin is a jewel in the roughnuclearfishin is a jewel in the roughnuclearfishin is a jewel in the roughnuclearfishin is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Austin@GIAC
How are you blending your fuel? Most of our more hardcore guys are careful to get as much pump fuel out of the tank prior to adding the 100 octane fuel. If you're adding 5 gallons on top of 3 gallons of 93 octane, you're not really going to have "100 octane" fuel in the tank. Also, what type of 100 octane fuel are you buying? Not all are created equal. For 100 octane, I tend to prefer sunoco or trick over VP. If you're looking at the higher options, VP109 or sunoco 104 largely do the same things.

If you're seeing a large amount of timing correction, the car is plenty safe, but there is a good chance it might be actually making less power than the pump mode.

Good points, I just ordered a couple pails of Sunoco and will try that. I've been using turbo blue and ran the car down to 0 miles before adding and have now gone through 3 tanks, so it's not watered down, but it could be stale, bad, etc. Will post results after data-logging with new fuel. BTW, if I get data-logs, can you guys tune the car based off my data to optimize my setup? If so, could you PM me a price to have this done?

I know you your not a fan of 60-130 times or dyno pulls. However 80hp would be 5-7 mph at the trap difference(1/4 mile) and pending all variables were the same almost a second difference.

I just haven't lost a second we are talking tenth with timing adjustments and some are sizable.

With all the timing changes I've talked about on my car, the real world differences on the dragstrip have been between .2 - .4 tenths. It doesn't sound like much but it ends up being 1-2 car lengths which is enough to lose. :-(

Old 08-04-2015, 07:56 AM
nuclearfishin is a jewel in the roughnuclearfishin is a jewel in the roughnuclearfishin is a jewel in the roughnuclearfishin is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
This is a wildly inaccurate statement. Users who have GIAC software installed in their cars can actively log their cars using Durametric, just the same as any other car. Your comments are completely inaccurate.

The OP of this thread has GIAC software installed, and the whole reason he posted this was because he pulled logs and looked at the data, so I'm not quite sure where your accusations are coming from.

Correct, I have a giac tune and have no problem pulling data with durametric.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:09 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
how much knock sensor activity are you seeing? -3, -6, -9????

what are other people seeing in their tunes as far as knock sensor activity/timing retardation goes?

Old 08-04-2015, 09:41 AM
roncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond repute

Well my accusations are coming from being told that by a vendor that sells GAIC tuning. Tom I know this is not the first time you have heard this, I just read in another thread where there was some confusion as to the ability to log and having encrypted files.

My statements may in fact be inaccurate however, I suggest GAIC to perform some reseller refresh training as it seems there are some conflicting information.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:58 AM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
Well my accusations are coming from being told that by a vendor that sells GAIC tuning. Tom I know this is not the first time you have heard this, I just read in another thread where there was some confusion as to the ability to log and having encrypted files.

My statements may in fact be inaccurate however, I suggest GAIC to perform some reseller refresh training as it seems there are some conflicting information.
If you have any questions regarding something like that, feel free to contact me for direct information. I don't know of any of our direct resellers that would make a statement like that (especially without asking someone here first), so I will have to say that sounds like a bit of a stretch (unless they were trying to sell you on a software option that might be more profitable for them). Taking information like that as gospel and spreading misinformation isn't really in the best interests of the forum.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:13 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !

And like I said in the other thread....you may have heard that GIAC software cannot be installed using a Durametric cable like some other tuning brands, but that same Durametric cable can be used for data-logging, just like any other car.

So...having heard my explanation in the other thread, and knowing very well that the statement is not true, you still come into this thread and repeat the same false statement, while falsely accusing GIAC of "hiding" something. Then conveniently throw in a plug for your tuner. I think I'm starting to get a clearer picture of what's going on in some of these tuner vs tuner threads.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:23 PM
Sayajin is just really niceSayajin is just really niceSayajin is just really niceSayajin is just really nice
As someone who is on a GIAC tune, I can tell you that for me at least, there is a significant difference between my pump and race tune. As others have mentioned, I would try running a higher octane fuel and in your case, I would suggest emptying the fuel tank as much as humanly possible prior to adding the race gas, especially as you are data logging.

I run MS109 for my race map and the difference between the pump map is striking. With that said, I normally run my car as close to "E" as possible prior to my track day the next day.

-Sayajin

Old 08-04-2015, 12:26 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by The Bogg
how much knock sensor activity are you seeing? -3, -6, -9????

what are other people seeing in their tunes as far as knock sensor activity/timing retardation goes?
I believe knock retard is on of the most important things to look at regarding the "safety" of your tune. I have my car tuned to see no more than the occasional -3 on knock retard, mainly 0s with a few -1s and -2s on the street with 91 octane. At the track I run the same tune with a mix of 91/100 and while heavily heat soaked under load I still see no more than a few -3s. I would much rather leave a few hp on the table and run a safe tune with plenty of margin. You never know when you get a marginal batch of fuel and you want the ecu to have plenty of room for knock retard. We went though 4 versions of tune fine tuning it for my car. Dynojet numbers on 91 octane are 599whp/673rwtq, 100% emission legal with 100cell Emitec race cats.

Last edited by pwdrhound; 08-04-2015 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:35 PM
roncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond reputeroncooper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Austin@GIAC
If you have any questions regarding something like that, feel free to contact me for direct information. I don't know of any of our direct resellers that would make a statement like that (especially without asking someone here first), so I will have to say that sounds like a bit of a stretch (unless they were trying to sell you on a software option that might be more profitable for them). Taking information like that as gospel and spreading misinformation isn't really in the best interests of the forum.
So it's your assumption that every reseller you have would call/communicate every question each customer has directly to you and since no such question has crossed your desk that it's unlikely that I was told that?

I understand your position and I believe Tom adequately represented GAICs options.

My lack of understanding is your problem not mine. Had I not been told this then reaffirmed it in another thread. As this is an open forum and in the spirit as such I share my thought and experiences and you as you have chosen to do so refute or confirm. We happen to be on opposite side of the table. Maybe next time we are sitting on the same side

Old 08-04-2015, 12:42 PM
Former Vendor
Had I not been told this then reaffirmed it in another thread. As this is an open forum and in the spirit as such I share my thought and experiences and you as you have chosen to do so refute or confirm. We happen to be on opposite side of the table. Maybe next time we are sitting on the same side
My only question is that if you saw the other thread, then you saw my explanation of how the GIAC software works, and my confirmation that data-logging is not an issue. Why, then, did you repeat the same false statement here? And not only that, why would you single out GIAC and suggest that their software is somehow unsafe?

You said, with some certainty:

Also I would guarantee that the other companies such as GAIC and those that flash the ECU and do not provide a way of actively live time logging nor pulling logs are riding the knock sensors.

Last edited by Tom@Champion; 08-04-2015 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:20 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Guys I know almost every person in this thread. You guys are all great and we are all going for the same thing. There are certainly several ways to skin a cat. Some no so great, but I will say that the tuners mentioned here are doing their thing and doing it well. Some longer than others. Mis-information is no bueno in any case. Trust me it happens all the time for all reasons and many times just a mis-understanding. But I would like to state that all involved are gents here. And that there are no red flags. Take it from someone with a decent rep and lots of experience with all these guys. This is a great forum. When something comes across in-correctly it is in everyone's best interest to make it clear. Trust me you guys would all have a blast at the track or over some beers.

It's all in good fun. Choc, Vanilla...All of it. When there is a bad flavor this forum will let you know!

Cheers guys

Old 08-04-2015, 11:26 PM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
My only question is that if you saw the other thread, then you saw my explanation of how the GIAC software works, and my confirmation that data-logging is not an issue. Why, then, did you repeat the same false statement here? And not only that, why would you single out GIAC and suggest that their software is somehow unsafe?

You said, with some certainty:
GIAC dont provide any means of logging the car, so his statement is true. Sure you can buy a Durametric cable for close to $300 to complement your GIAC tune, but it seems (to me) that GIACs business model is to sell canned tunes.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:03 AM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Guys I know almost every person in this thread. You guys are all great and we are all going for the same thing. There are certainly several ways to skin a cat. Some no so great, but I will say that the tuners mentioned here are doing their thing and doing it well. Some longer than others. Mis-information is no bueno in any case. Trust me it happens all the time for all reasons and many times just a mis-understanding. But I would like to state that all involved are gents here. And that there are no red flags. Take it from someone with a decent rep and lots of experience with all these guys. This is a great forum. When something comes across in-correctly it is in everyone's best interest to make it clear. Trust me you guys would all have a blast at the track or over some beers.

It's all in good fun. Choc, Vanilla...All of it. When there is a bad flavor this forum will let you know!

Cheers guys

As crazy as this statement sounds, I agree. excluding the beer, cigarettes, Cocaine, Heroine while or Skinning a cat! "who knows?" I don't eat Ice Cream either.

I would like to thank "Cobb Tuning" for bringing most of this logging part to our thread. I didn't log my car in the past but, it, "Sucked" with my prior tune. Corrected with "Cobb" despite the logging. (Maybe I am just paranoid?)

I believe that some "Knock" that I see is related to my shift points and have turned this on during my logging (Actual Gear.) This actually proves to aid in my knock value at the track in relation to the throttle position.

I'll be honest, I don't fully understand "ignition angle." My understanding is, the top compression point of the cylinder compression to its relative ignition point. Not sure how it changes its actual angle (maybe under pressure, angle of ignition under compression?.) Maybe the actual gap of the plug? Maybe, the ignition timing reflects the piston TDC timing?

Maybe, I need to leave this comment wide open.

Thanks everyone!

Old 08-05-2015, 12:05 AM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
BTW, Sambo, no disrespect, You do have a great reputation!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Race tune, timing, and knock question...