997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Rear window tint issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 09:11 PM
Jako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to behold
Rear window tint issues

Looking for some advise. I brought the car to a shop to have the bumper 3M wrapped. Decided to have the rear window tinted as the rear shelf carpet is fading. After the job was done the installer said to wait a week to let the water bubbles and such dry out. During time there were a few spots which looked like air pockets.

After the week there were 3 defects which didn't disappear. I was running my finger over them and it felt as though they were scratches. I called the shop and asked me to come in. They determined a new piece was required and ripped off the old one and applied the new.

Once finished they called to have a look. To my dismay, it appeared that pieces of intermittent rear defogger material came off along each line. I ask him about this and he said he didn't notice but it shouldn't affect the operation of the defogger. I thought that once the water drys out it may improve as well.

Now that I am home in the sunshine, it looks horrible. all I can do it zero in at it. I will be calling him in the morning but I am not sure anything can be done. Plus I can't check to see defogger operation until it gets cold enough, which is another 2 months away.

I don't know what the cost is to replace the rear window of a convertible but I bet it isn't cheap.

Old 08-07-2015, 06:11 AM
cam99 will become famous soon enoughcam99 will become famous soon enough
That sux, IMO, if only a few lines are broken , they won't work but the others may.

Hopefully the tinter is insured and will cover the damages.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:07 AM
TAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond reputeTAILWAG has a reputation beyond repute
Bleh...that sucks. First thing I would do is test to make sure they are all working properly...otherwise when the time comes to use them, if you use them, it is going to bug you even more. The longer it takes to correct the issue, the more difficult it will be to get it corrected to your satisfaction.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:40 PM
Jako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to beholdJako is a splendid one to behold
They agreed to open a claim under there garage policy. I see the adjuster on Wednesday. As for the function. It isn't working. Was cold enough in the morning and dew formed. Turn on for 5 minutes, nothing.

Will update you in a weeks time.

Old 08-10-2015, 11:49 PM
Luxembourger is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hear about this. I just wanted to say that you should open a claim and follow it through politely but firmly as a matter of good course. This is a very clear cut case- I had a similar experience with my windscreen (chipped while the car was in service) which was clearly the fault of the garage. No need to worry, this seems to happen from time to time, and most garages have a budget allocated for such an event.

Keep it polite, keep it firm, and take photos in time- they should make good on it.
Fingers crossed!

Old 08-15-2015, 10:37 PM
Update. The shop opened a garage claim and it was approved to have the glass replaced. Was quite a relief. Question now is. Should I have a shop tint the new glass before they mount it in the convertible top? I mean, it would be much easier and lesser chance of botching up a second time?

Old 08-17-2015, 07:22 AM
cool flash is on a distinguished road
The rear glass is hardly curved and quite easy to do. A professional should have had zero probs getting it done right. Taking off fresh tint and still managing to damage defogger further underscores the utter cluelessness of whoever did your tint. Avoid at all costs in the future.

Regards,

CF