997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Continental ExtremeContact DW on 997 Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 05:23 PM
nick-seattle is a splendid one to beholdnick-seattle is a splendid one to beholdnick-seattle is a splendid one to beholdnick-seattle is a splendid one to beholdnick-seattle is a splendid one to beholdnick-seattle is a splendid one to beholdnick-seattle is a splendid one to behold
Continental ExtremeContact DW on 997 Turbo

Hi, Since Michelin PSS for rear tires are on back order, I decided to buy Continental ExtremeContact DW for my 997 Turbo. The tires had fantastic reviews and 2x cheaper compared to Michelin, so why not.

Imagine my surprise, when after I got the car back with the new shoes, I notice that car didn't handle as well as before. On the road it's fine, but when taking sharp turns, the response is significantly slower compared to Michelin PS2 that I had before.

I tried to play around with tire pressure, it got a bit better at 39 in the front, but not by much.

If I new how much worst the handling is going to become, I would never have bought the tires

Does anybody else have the same experience?

Old 09-20-2015, 08:33 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Yep. I had some all seasons on the 997's I bought from someone. I think it was just because the owner cheaped out on replacement tires. Yes, they handle like crap because the sidewalls are significantly softer. That will provide improved performance in freezing weather, but not the rest of the time!

Old 09-20-2015, 11:24 PM
nick-seattle is a splendid one to beholdnick-seattle is a splendid one to beholdnick-seattle is a splendid one to beholdnick-seattle is a splendid one to beholdnick-seattle is a splendid one to beholdnick-seattle is a splendid one to beholdnick-seattle is a splendid one to behold
I was hoping that these tires would be much better than all seasonal since these are Max Performance Summer tires, but no luck.

Do you know if putting Michelin as front and Continental in the back would make things better?

Old 09-21-2015, 07:37 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nick-seattle
I was hoping that these tires would be much better than all seasonal since these are Max Performance Summer tires, but no luck.

Do you know if putting Michelin as front and Continental in the back would make things better?
Bad idea. Your handling will be even worse and potentially even dangerous. The weather is getting wet and cold even where you live. Unfortunately I'd leave them on until spring and then replace them and chalk it up to experience.

Would somewhat correct my prior views as I see these are not all season tires, but are listed as dry and wet, an odd designation. Some reviews even suggest they don't wear very well, which is odd for that kind of tire.

Last edited by ryem3; 09-21-2015 at 07:50 AM.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:49 PM
Thanks

Thanks for your help. I guess I'll just keep them on for now. Hopefully Michelin will get their act together and rear PSS tires will finally become available. Does anybody have updates on that?

Old 09-21-2015, 06:18 PM
MK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud of
Just a quick question for the OP and others: when you're talking about noticeable differences in performance with any other tire compared to the Michelin's, are you referring to track driving or just everyday? I ask because I don't track my car and I can't bring myself to pay $2500 for the PS2's so I've happily been using Hankook's at more than half that price. Compared to the PS2's that came with my car, and the ensuing years of just using the hankook's, I've never noticed bad handling when doing aggressive street driving. Maybe it's just because I'm a crappy driver . Thanks

Old 09-21-2015, 06:30 PM
Thanks for your help. I guess I'll just keep them on for now. Hopefully Michelin will get their act together and rear PSS tires will finally become available. Does anybody have updates on that?
Was checking this out a bit more. I note that those Contis are indeed an extreme summer tire choice and in the same league as the PSS, PS2's, SO4's, etc. In that respect, those tires should not feel that different, even compared to Michelins. Running 39 psi in the fronts shouldn't help. I would definitely run 33/39 for the best balance. Another thing I might offer is the tread blocks on your new tires are a lot bigger, potentially giving you a bit more initial lateral movement - especially compared to a worn out tire. The big advantage is that the new tire will be a lot quieter, of course. Other choices now seem to be the SO4's or the Pirelli PZeros. Neither of them have very good reputations either, even though the Zeros are a Porsche factory spec option.
I'd run the factory pressures and break them in for 500 miles, then see if they get better. Also, depending on the tire, some are very greasy initially. Performance improves greatly after break in. Keep us posted.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:55 PM
oddjob142 is on a distinguished road
I was considering the Conti's and I am glad I didn't. I have had them on a number of my Lexus cars and they were great, especially in the rain, but they never really sticky dry. Never really had enough power for it to matter until now. I decided on the S-04's and I really like them. 1500 miles since and couldn't be happier. Plus they were around 1000 installed and with certificates from discount tire.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:23 PM
Hey ryem3, I think I will follow your advice and keep this tired through winter and if that helps, maybe that will be my "winter" wires

MK23, I'm not tracking the car, just street driving - but before the car would take sharp turns like magic - now it's like driving on a piece of butter. It's doesn't slip, but it's no where as precise as before.

I'll keep you updated as I put more miles on the tires.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:07 PM
MK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud ofMK23 has much to be proud of
Hey ryem3, I think I will follow your advice and keep this tired through winter and if that helps, maybe that will be my "winter" wires

MK23, I'm not tracking the car, just street driving - but before the car would take sharp turns like magic - now it's like driving on a piece of butter. It's doesn't slip, but it's no where as precise as before.

I'll keep you updated as I put more miles on the tires.
I see. Well I will tell you that when I first got the hankooks, the car felt a bit buttery as well for about 500-1000 miles or so. But then once it settled in, they've been great. Maybe give it some time and your continentals may improve?

Old 09-23-2015, 06:10 AM
kwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MK23
I see. Well I will tell you that when I first got the hankooks, the car felt a bit buttery as well for about 500-1000 miles or so. But then once it settled in, they've been great. Maybe give it some time and your continentals may improve?
+1 I also run Hankooks and I actually prefer prefer them to other tires (especially Pirelli) that I have used over the years. Bear in mind that new tires are usually somewhat squirrelly for the first couple of hundred miles. They may feel better after break-in.

Old 09-23-2015, 03:45 PM
I'm going to be taking a log ride this weekend - the weather is supposed to be great here in WA. We shell see how the tires settle after that.

I had a few fast cars before this one, but none of them were so precise that I could feel such a major difference with new tires

Old 09-29-2015, 03:02 PM
Hi all, quick update - have about 300 miles on the tires now. They got better, but still no Michelin. So if you are thinking about getting new tires, go for Super Sport - awesome care needs awesome tires.

BTW, here is what I got from Michelin when I asked them about availability:

"We apologize the MICHELIN PILOT SUPER SPORT 305/30ZR19 tires are not available for retailers to order at this time but we do see a fresh batch of tires scheduled to be made available mid october!"

So good news, we should have them soon.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:33 PM
tt91185 is on a distinguished road
I just ordered 245/30/20 & 325/25/20 or continental sport contact 5p, only tire I was able to find and had to go over seas to get it. I'm hoping the tire are comparable to the pss

Last edited by tt91185; 09-30-2015 at 03:15 AM.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:00 PM
PHIKEL will become famous soon enoughPHIKEL will become famous soon enough
Hey Nick, I spoke with a Michelin sales rep at Rennsport Reunion V this past weekend. He confirmed what you heard from Michelin. Tires available in October and hopefully back order issues resolved for good.