997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

GIAC 997.2 Turbo S vs Porsche 918 Half Mile Race

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 10:14 AM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Boosted TTS
Hi Adam,

What tires are you using? I swapped the R11's for some MPSS P2's...night and day difference.

Manuel
The only street tires than can handle launch control with elevated power levels are the R888's. After going Stage 2 with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, it just caused massive wheel spin at launch and even rolling in 2nd gear. The R888's fixed it. I've done vBox 0-60 in 2.4 seconds at the strip and 2.5 on the street. Even on the airstrip it was 2.7-2.8 and 0-100mph pretty consistent high 5's in the worst place to launch ever (dirt, sand, rocks and crap all over the launch pad).

I launched against a couple 991 Turbos last weekend. And we know they have a better and more refined launch control system than the 997.2. One was GIAC Stage 2 and the other was Cobb upgraded Turbo. The GIAC car even had R compound tires and I flew away from both of them on an even start launch. Nothing like the R888's.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:39 PM
Boosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by longboarder
The only street tires than can handle launch control with elevated power levels are the R888's. After going Stage 2 with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, it just caused massive wheel spin at launch and even rolling in 2nd gear. The R888's fixed it. I've done vBox 0-60 in 2.4 seconds at the strip and 2.5 on the street. Even on the airstrip it was 2.7-2.8 and 0-100mph pretty consistent high 5's in the worst place to launch ever (dirt, sand, rocks and crap all over the launch pad).

I launched against a couple 991 Turbos last weekend. And we know they have a better and more refined launch control system than the 997.2. One was GIAC Stage 2 and the other was Cobb upgraded Turbo. The GIAC car even had R compound tires and I flew away from both of them on an even start launch. Nothing like the R888's.
Great choice and that's what I wanted to use, but they are not (Y) rated and not accepted for the mile.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:27 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Great choice and that's what I wanted to use, but they are not (Y) rated and not accepted for the mile.
I just checked and the 19" tires are Y rated on the Toyo website.

Old 10-31-2015, 03:01 AM
Boosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond repute
I just checked and the 19" tires are Y rated on the Toyo website.
It has to be (Y) with a parenthesis which is 186+++

Y = up to 186 mph
(Y) = in excess of 186 mph

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35

Hope this helps...

Manuel

Old 10-31-2015, 07:25 AM
It has to be (Y) with a parenthesis which is 186+++

Y = up to 186 mph
(Y) = in excess of 186 mph

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=35

Hope this helps...

Manuel

Ahhh thanks I definitely learned something!

For a mile event you don't necessarily need the benefit of the R888, which is really the low speed WOT traction, which seems to be beyond anything any other street tire can accomplish. I would like to eventually do the TX Mile (one of my buddies with a 991 TTS in California does it) so I guess I would need another set of wheels/tires entirely for this.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:38 AM
Ahhh thanks I definitely learned something!

For a mile event you don't necessarily need the benefit of the R888, which is really the low speed WOT traction, which seems to be beyond anything any other street tire can accomplish. I would like to eventually do the TX Mile (one of my buddies with a 991 TTS in California does it) so I guess I would need another set of wheels/tires entirely for this.
Planning on going again in Mar or Oct of next year...