997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Help with low boost FVD tune

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 04:42 AM
powder is on a distinguished road
Arrow Help with low boost FVD tune

Hello guys, first i'd like to apologize for my English since I'm from Barcelona and it's not my main language.

I bought a 2007 997.1 TT two months ago from a friend, the car has some mods such as Cargraphic exhaust, FVD stage 2 tune, GT2 RS intercoolers, Forge silicon pipes and turbo inlet.

While the first impression was that the car is a bomb (coming from an SL55), I started to feel that the car was lacking power in the upper range. I started to look at boost figures and saw that in Sport mode it hits 1,1-1,2 bar (18psi) on the display but quickly comes down to (0,6 bar at 5000 rpm). I then looked for info on this subject and found several graphs with stock and tuned ECU. What appears to be common among tuners is to make a bit more peak boost than stock but mainly sustaining this boost upper in the range compared to stock, mine is falling down quickly.

My car has a FVD tune (supposedly) and its behavior is more like a stock car (as far as I've seen in other plots) than a tuned one because the boost is dropping quickly as the car revs. I bought an OBD2 reader and Torque Pro App for the phone and logged some data.

Here you have a plot with 2 runs in Sport mode with 100% throttle in 3rd gear. At this point I don't know if the ECU tune is not there anymore if I'm having problems with other stuff such a boost leak or in the other hand this is normal. Can you please help me?

Thanks!

Old 11-11-2015, 05:20 AM
ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !
Does the car have aftermarket brv's? If so try checking them and or swap them for stock ones. I had the same problem and they were the cause. If it doesn't you may want to do a boost test.

Old 11-11-2015, 07:23 AM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
Is this also happening when you are in sport mode?

Call FVD and confirm the car CURRENTLY has their tune loaded. As your boost is acting just like a stock 997.1T.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by ctony66
Does the car have aftermarket brv's? If so try checking them and or swap them for stock ones. I had the same problem and they were the cause. If it doesn't you may want to do a boost test.
The car has stock BRV's

Originally Posted by Bobbyfali
Is this also happening when you are in sport mode?

Call FVD and confirm the car CURRENTLY has their tune loaded. As your boost is acting just like a stock 997.1T.
The data is from Sport mode, in normal mode it happens the same but instead of an initial boost of 17-18psi it has 13-14 psi, but it comes down as revs go up.

The problem is that I never tested the car in stock form so I cannot compare the behavior.

I found a plotted graph from a forum member comparing boost between stock and FVD stage 1 tune and its definitely different:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-fvd-tune.html

Old 11-11-2015, 08:30 AM
Yogi911 has a spectacular aura aboutYogi911 has a spectacular aura about
Yea thats not normal. I cant offer much technical support but i would start with a leak test.

I basically have the exact same mods and while i cant get to 20psi im above 16-17 the entire way to redline in 3 rd gear sport on. And in normal 13-15.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:31 AM
Premium Sponsor
Rhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond repute
It looks as if our file has been overwritten back to stock. Did the gentleman you bought the car from give you our software delivery tool by chance? It would be a black OBD2 to USB cable or a small hand held device with My Genius listed on it. If that is the case you can just write the file back to the car.

Contact me directly to get the latest FVD forum member discount!

Rhonda Roxburgh
+1-954-571-2050 x 1
rhonda.roxburgh@fvd.net

Visit our online shop for an extensive selection of tuning and original parts www.fvd.net

Old 11-11-2015, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by Yogi911
Yea thats not normal. I cant offer much technical support but i would start with a leak test.

I basically have the exact same mods and while i cant get to 20psi im above 16-17 the entire way to redline in 3 rd gear sport on. And in normal 13-15.
Thanks for the info, that is what i thought.

Originally Posted by Rhonda@FVD
It looks as if our file has been overwritten back to stock. Did the gentleman you bought the car from give you our software delivery tool by chance? It would be a black OBD2 to USB cable or a small hand held device with My Genius listed on it. If that is the case you can just write the file back to the car.
Dear Rhonda

The tune was sold/flashed by the FVD official dealer in Spain and my friend just sent me the myGenius tool (ill have it Friday or Saturday). I talked to him and he said that was normal (boost going down) but according to the graphs I see it doesn't look normal at all. Is it possible to check in someway if the ECU has the FVD tune or its stock while I wait for the myGenius tool to arrive? I mean logging some particular data from the ECU like Air Fuel ratio or Timing in a particular condition that can ensure that it has been flashed?

Old 11-11-2015, 11:23 AM
Premium Sponsor
Rhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond reputeRhonda@FVD has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by powder
Dear Rhonda

The tune was sold/flashed by the FVD official dealer in Spain and my friend just sent me the myGenius tool (ill have it Friday or Saturday). I talked to him and he said that was normal (boost going down) but according to the graphs I see it doesn't look normal at all. Is it possible to check in someway if the ECU has the FVD tune or its stock while I wait for the myGenius tool to arrive? I mean logging some particular data from the ECU like Air Fuel ratio or Timing in a particular condition that can ensure that it has been flashed?
Can you private message me with your Vin#? I will check with the software engineers for you. We can check the server to see what files have been written. Sending logs would be very helpful as well in the interim. Simply email them to my email address below.

Rhonda Roxburgh
+1-954-571-2050 x 1
rhonda.roxburgh@fvd.net

Visit our online shop for an extensive selection of tuning and original parts www.fvd.net

Old 11-11-2015, 09:38 PM
Franc01 has a spectacular aura aboutFranc01 has a spectacular aura about
One quick way to check if you have the flash installed is to see where your rev limit is set. If you can rev to 7000 then it's likely the flash is in. If you only rev to 6700 then you are stock.

Buena suerte,
Franc

Old 11-18-2015, 03:38 AM
Well, the problem has been solved, apparently the ECU was flashed back to stock in a Service and the car was lacking the punch it should have, boost is up again.

I want to publicly thank Rhonda and the FVD team because they helped me with the issue with no hesitation (+15 emails and remote support). Their service is top notch.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:11 AM
Edited.

Last edited by powder; 11-18-2015 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Double posted
Old 11-18-2015, 07:03 AM
Premium Sponsor
Glad we were able to help out. Now you can fully enjoy your beautiful "new" Turbo.

Rhonda Roxburgh
+1-954-571-2050 x 1
rhonda.roxburgh@fvd.net

Old 11-18-2015, 08:11 AM
Domer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond repute
I can’t help. But your English is perfect!

Old 11-18-2015, 07:09 PM
Yogi911 has a spectacular aura aboutYogi911 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by powder
Well, the problem has been solved, apparently the ECU was flashed back to stock in a Service and the car was lacking the punch it should have, boost is up again. I want to publicly thank Rhonda and the FVD team because they helped me with the issue with no hesitation (+15 emails and remote support). Their service is top notch.
So what are your boost figures now in both normal and sport?

Old 11-19-2015, 05:26 AM
Originally Posted by Yogi911
So what are your boost figures now in both normal and sport?
I did not datalog this time and just took it for a quick ride in the highway using the 'dyno butt' and the display from the car. From the display it shows 1.1-1.2 bar until I change the gear up in the range.

During the weekend I'll make some logs and plot some graphs.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help with low boost FVD tune