997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

The Ultimate 996/997 Intercooler Project

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 11:39 PM
elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !elite1 Is a GOD !
I should mention I have some leaking GT2RS intercoolers with burnt JBweld good for 600F/10min duration, for sale.

PM me if your interested. They do leak!

BTW, visiting London in June if that merits any cost savings.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:42 PM
Banned
IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !IMI A Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by pwdrhound
If you are familiar with the Intercoolers that Toby (TB993TT) is running on his 7GT2, ours are a step up from those. We obtained specs on the cores that were used on his application and requested an improvement on those. Based on data, our aerospace cores show an additional 15% improvement over Toby's cores which are very impressive to begin with..
Swapped lots of emails with Toby but not yet had the fortune to be at the same event as him. In fact if it wasn't for reading his experiences I doubt I would have even bothered tuning the turbo. Now I want an engine just like his RS built engine lol. Toby's GT2 is a legendary beast and very well known in these parts. Can't wait to tell him I have better intercoolers than him! At least one component/system of my car may outperform his

Does he have Secans or the coolers some French guy fabricated for RS Tuning?

Old 03-22-2016, 11:54 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 9e 28
Swapped lots of emails with Toby but not yet had the fortune to be at the same event as him. In fact if it wasn't for reading his experiences I doubt I would have even bothered tuning the turbo. Now I want an engine just like his RS built engine lol. Toby's GT2 is a legendary beast and very well known in these parts. Can't wait to tell him I have better intercoolers than him! At least one component/system of my car may outperform his

Does he have Secans or the coolers some French guy fabricated for RS Tuning?
PM sent

Old 03-29-2016, 05:11 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Hopefully the cores should be shipping soon. There are some import paperwork hurdles to cross as dealing with the purchase and import of products made by a company the supplies the aerospace and defense industry is not alway so easy.

Old 04-01-2016, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by SRM Engineering
Core shipment is expected 4/22 - we have 6 cores total coming
Excellent news. Looking forward to these Sean!

Old 04-27-2016, 08:43 AM
rob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond repute
Any updates on this? Did you receive the cores? Would like to see some pics!

Old 05-24-2016, 03:35 PM
Sneak peak at the Aerospace cores which have finally arrived. Look at the fin density!! Unlike anything you will see on any of the aftermarket intercooler cores. Not even the same league. The logistics and cutting through the red tape of importing these from a company that supplies the military/aerospace markets is extensive. These will be a game changer...

[url=https://flic.kr/p/HtXKUD]

Last edited by pwdrhound; 05-24-2016 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:52 AM
rob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond reputerob.boost has a reputation beyond repute
Those look good, I look forward to the testing between the SRM Core and this back to back.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:45 AM
echerbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond reputeecherbst has a reputation beyond repute
sexy let me know when u got some ready to sell, im in.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:09 PM
bondjockey is on a distinguished road
Any update?

Old 08-21-2016, 08:24 PM
quick968 is a jewel in the roughquick968 is a jewel in the roughquick968 is a jewel in the roughquick968 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by SRM Engineering
The core manufacturer sent us cores almost 20mm too long. We are waiting for the correct sized replacements to arrive.
So I notice that the cores currently on the SRM website have 12 charge air and 13 cooling fin rows, and are very reasonably priced.

These new aerospace cores have 14 charge air and 15 cooling fin rows.

Any visibility yet on the performance delta between the two? And even more importantly, do you have a handle on the pricing delta between the two? It would be nice to be able to cost out price vs performance. Essentially how much $ for how much increase in performance of the cores?

Thx
Mikey

Old 08-21-2016, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by quick968
So I notice that the cores currently on the SRM website have 12 charge air and 13 cooling fin rows, and are very reasonably priced.

These new aerospace cores have 14 charge air and 15 cooling fin rows.

Any visibility yet on the performance delta between the two? And even more importantly, do you have a handle on the pricing delta between the two? It would be nice to be able to cost out price vs performance. Essentially how much $ for how much increase in performance of the cores?

Thx
Mikey
Based on what we have discussed, the Aerospace intercoolers will sell for $7950... The number of charge air and cooling rows is one thing. Take a look at how thin and dense the cooling fins are on the aerospace cores. That equals a huge amount of heat dissipating area. There is really no comparison between that and what else is out there. The Aerospace cores will particularly shine on a race course or in places where you are running at full throttle for extended periods. For drag racing and short burst runs the difference compared to typical high flow AM coolers won't be as huge in my opinion.

I will have the 1st set on my car and will provide performance number with a direct comparison between these and 997.2s. Data will be off of MoTec and based on 20-30 minute sessions on the same track. This will provide a true picture of the performance of the intercooler instead of the typical 1, 2, or 3 pulls that most provide as data. With the 997.2s, it generally takes 7-10 minutes of repeated redline pulls to reach temperature saturation of the cores. This is on a 600whp 3.8L engine. I already have data on the 997.2s so a comparison will be quite simple with the aerospace coolers.

Last edited by pwdrhound; 08-21-2016 at 10:13 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:58 AM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
PWH: Want kind of ambient temperatures do you typically run at in CO for your 30 minute sessions/races?

Old 08-22-2016, 01:24 AM
Originally Posted by VID997
PWH: Want kind of ambient temperatures do you typically run at in CO for your 30 minute sessions/races?
Summer temps are into the upper 80s to mid 90s in the shade. Track temps are easily 110 or more. Density altitude is 9000+

Old 08-22-2016, 01:46 AM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
So are you struggling with the density altitude being that of 9K+? I think you were running GT2 997.2 IC prior, correct? If so, we're you losing power (engine retardation) on longer straights or else where?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.