997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

GIAC Solves 997.2 Fuel System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 09:01 AM
Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by changster
"Solves" the fuel sytem? That's stretching it for the title. You're saying they've already solved it when they have not.
What makes you think they haven't solved it?

Old 01-14-2016, 10:30 AM
Mit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by locus
Any news for E85? Anyway I can't wait for the results.
As long as it moves enough fuel (which it sounds like), no reason why not. Plus the DFI motor will love the cooler burn of ethanol.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:44 AM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by locus
Any news for E85? Anyway I can't wait for the results.
Not just yet. But that is in the future. Part of the reason I think they picked my car is because I run meth and they (GIAC) can get to a point with no timing correction on race gas plus meth without introducing the limitation of e85 of a 30% greater fuel requirement.

Originally Posted by Mit_Boost
As long as it moves enough fuel (which it sounds like), no reason why not. Plus the DFI motor will love the cooler burn of ethanol.
I think e85 blends will better on the 991 since it already has a much larger capacity fuel system to begin with than the 997.2. By also adding the GIAC fuel system on the 991 running an e85 blend (maybe e40 to e50) will still allow for headroom in the fueling system with no timing correction. Not sure there will be headroom in the 997.2 on e50 even with the fuel system upgrade but that's for GIAC to figure out.

I have offered to donate my 991 if GIAC wants to do e85 testing next. $2 a gallon blended with 91 octane is so much more palatable than $20 a gallon MS109.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:47 AM
itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !
The increase in performance with E85 on a DI engine is far less than what it does or a port injected engine. Pump and meth on DI will permit almost the same ignition timing as E85.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:48 AM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by changster
"Solves" the fuel sytem? That's stretching it for the title. You're saying they've already solved it when they have not.
Was thinking the same

Old 01-14-2016, 12:06 PM
longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !longboarder Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by itguy
The increase in performance with E85 on a DI engine is far less than what it does or a port injected engine. Pump and meth on DI will permit almost the same ignition timing as E85.
Meth is fantastic but I still get timing corrections on pump. Race gas eliminates the timing corrections but at $20/gallon I'd rather do e85 blend.

Originally Posted by xbox_fan
Was thinking the same
Can you explain why you are thinking this please. I re-read my posts. Nothing contradicting here.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:01 PM
Basic Sponsor
COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !COBB Tuning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
Legitimate question...NOT trying to start a debate. But did I miss something...who's running a 991 Turbo with 800+ ft/lbs of torque at the wheels?

I mean...I know I was out for a couple days around New Years...but I'm sure I would have seen that lol.

Rob Harper of RobTuned, It was done quite some time ago. This isn't anything recent.

More info is here -> http://www.cobbtuning.com/porsche-99...g-rod-testing/

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM BAILEY | JARED BRONSON | GRANT EPHROSS | ANDREW SCHWARZKOPF | HJ LEE

COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE | CONTACT US

Old 01-14-2016, 04:58 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by longboarder
Not just yet. But that is in the future. Part of the reason I think they picked my car is because I run meth and they (GIAC) can get to a point with no timing correction on race gas plus meth without introducing the limitation of e85 of a 30% greater fuel requirement.

I think e85 blends will better on the 991 since it already has a much larger capacity fuel system to begin with than the 997.2. By also adding the GIAC fuel system on the 991 running an e85 blend (maybe e40 to e50) will still allow for headroom in the fueling system with no timing correction. Not sure there will be headroom in the 997.2 on e50 even with the fuel system upgrade but that's for GIAC to figure out.

I have offered to donate my 991 if GIAC wants to do e85 testing next. $2 a gallon blended with 91 octane is so much more palatable than $20 a gallon MS109.
unless you can run an e85 analyzer your going to hate the requirements for running e85. calculations how much fuel is in the tank, determining how much ethanol is actually coming out of the pump by testing, adding whatever you have to the full mix and pray it comes out right. run maybe 120 miles per tank and do it all over again. my buddy does this on his bmws its a major pia!

Old 01-14-2016, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
unless you can run an e85 analyzer your going to hate the requirements for running e85. calculations how much fuel is in the tank, determining how much ethanol is actually coming out of the pump by testing, adding whatever you have to the full mix and pray it comes out right. run maybe 120 miles per tank and do it all over again. my buddy does this on his bmws its a major pia!
Yeah I would just run the stuff at race events. There are a few stations my buddy's with GTRs go to *they have analyzers) that are very consistent e84-e85. While e85 is cheap it's not widely available like conventional gas and I couldn't see myself driving extra mileage just to fill up with an ethanol blend unless I was going to be racing.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:53 AM
xbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond reputexbox_fan has a reputation beyond repute
I ran E85 blends for at least 2years on my BMW (N54 DI), it was really simple, just fill 50% E85 and 50% 94oct it is close to E40. Sure topping up the tank to full wasn't easy but adding 20l of one fuel and then 20l of the other at the pump didn't require calculations, measurements or logging. Super simple....

And to make sure the ECU is happy with the fuel one need to log, and this is where Cobb shines, just press a button, no need for a Duramteric cable and a laptop.

Old 01-15-2016, 02:18 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by xbox_fan
I ran E85 blends for at least 2years on my BMW (N54 DI), it was really simple, just fill 50% E85 and 50% 94oct it is close to E40. Sure topping up the tank to full wasn't easy but adding 20l of one fuel and then 20l of the other at the pump didn't require calculations, measurements or logging. Super simple....

And to make sure the ECU is happy with the fuel one need to log, and this is where Cobb shines, just press a button, no need for a Duramteric cable and a laptop.
i have seen e50 and e98 come out of the same pump at a single gas station. its wildly inaccurate and the regulations on ethanol content seem very lax. its available everywhere by me and the content is very unpredictable. fill it with e50 make a huge pull and you could blow the engine on a e85 file. just saying...

Old 01-15-2016, 02:20 AM
i have seen e50 and e98 come out of the same pump at a single gas station. its wildly inaccurate and the regulations on ethanol content seem very lax. its available everywhere by me and the content is very unpredictable. fill it with e50 make a huge pull and you could blow the engine on a e85 file. just saying...
lowest measured ethanol content I heard of is down towards E75 but fuel quality in the US seems to be crappy, happy to live in the EU (only with regards to fuel quality though...)

Old 01-15-2016, 04:26 AM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
Subscribed!!!

Old 01-15-2016, 05:49 PM
ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !ecpChris Is a GOD !
Nice. Good luck Adam. Curious to see what you guys come up with and how it works. When is it going to be done?

Old 01-15-2016, 11:22 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by longboarder
Not sure what the hang up here. It's already solved. It was solved using another 997.2 owned by a GIAC retailer. The system works perfectly. That car is now getting a built motor and PDK as we speak to take full advantage of the additional fueling. In the mean time, my car is at GIAC getting the system installed and going for dyno tuning. So it will be the first car with a working system although I won't be anywhere near the new fueling limit because I have stock motor, PDK and turbos.
No doubt you and GIAC are doing great things, but until I see a 1000whp+ 997.2 dyno sheet I don't consider it solved. No offense intended .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GIAC Solves 997.2 Fuel System