997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Some technical but some what newbie questions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 01:40 AM
RideZX6R is on a distinguished road
Some technical but some what newbie questions...

Looking into getting into a 997.1 TT (6 speed)
My budget puts me into a car that'll likely be an 07 or 08 with 35-55k miles... With that in mind I have some questions...

Buying the car...
  • Common issues to avoid on 07-08 6-speed models?
  • What maintenance is due at 40k? (And approx cost?)
  • What maintenance is due at 60k? (And approx cost?)
  • How long does the factory clutch last?
  • TT models all come with PASM, correct?
  • Is Sport-chrono package standard on TT models? If not, how can I determine if the car has it (especially since I'm looking online at pictures of cars), just the clock in the center of the dash?
  • Any other *must have* options?
  • Was bluetooth calling or bluetooth audio (music) offered on 07-08 models?
  • If not, is upgrading to an aftermarket headunit common and easy?

Ownership...
The car will be commuted in on nice days to work, will see a couple HPDE days, and perhaps some highway-style racing - With that in mind,I'd like to keep the modifications minimal..
I can use E85 but would likely keep stock turbos and at most the upgrades would consist of intercoolers, exhaust, and intake/filter, and a proper tune...
  • What approx power level will those mods put me at? (Feel free to suggest recommended brands - Especially any adjustable exhuasts)
  • What would E85. an intake/filter, and tune only put me at?
  • Is the TPC DSC module worth the money for a car that will see track time less than 15% of it's life?
  • If so, what springs will work with it (if any)? If not, what coilovers do you recommend for 80% or more street driving?

I think this about covers it - At the end of the day, I'd be stoked with something that drives well in all conditions and has 500+ awhp, good sound from the exhaust, and can see the occasional track day with a simple brake pads swap, along with bluetooth audio I can stream from my phone.
I'm hoping the 997 can do all this.

Last edited by RideZX6R; 02-03-2016 at 11:28 AM.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:09 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I can answer a couple of questions, but not all. My car is essentially stock, so I can't answer the questions on modifications.

Minor service is every 20,000 miles. Major service is every 40,000 miles. Major service includes spark plugs and brake fluid change, among other things. I'll go back and look at my records for cost.

All 997.1 TT cars feature PASM. Bluetooth audio is not available from the factory, but it can be added with an aftermarket solution. I use the Mobridge M2 Pro and it works very well for Bluetooth calls and streaming audio. Changing the head unit is possible, but it's expensive and difficult because the 997 uses a fiber optic system. The 2009+ cars have the updated PCM 3.0 unit and some of them have factory Bluetooth, although I think it's only for calls.

There aren't really any problems to avoid. I think that "must have" options are: Adaptive Sport Seats, PCCB, and Sport Chrono.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:50 AM
Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !
You may want to find a car that has had the coolant lines pinned as that can be an issue, especially in a car with the mileage range you are considering.

Also, the spoiler hydraulics can be a $1000 fix if they are going out... Just something to consider.

I did the 40k mile service on my car in December 2014 and it was around $2k at the dealer. A good independent may be able to perform that cheaper.

As for how long the clutch lasts - lots of variables on that one. Mine is approaching 49K miles and still fine, but i have a feeling it may be getting to the end of it's life sooner rather than later.

Good luck in your search, the 997 turbo is an awesome machine!

Last edited by Kricci; 02-03-2016 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:37 AM
kwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond reputekwiksilver has a reputation beyond repute
Your planned mods of tune, exhaust and intercoolers will make a dramatic improvement in performance. There are many good tunes as well as exhaust systems Cobb seems to be a current favorite for tunes (I have EPL), and Kline has become a popular exhaust system. HP gains should put you into the low 500s. Talk to Sam @bydesigns, a sponsor here. He can fix you up. His reputation and customer service are second to none. I have no affiliation with him except as a customer

Old 02-03-2016, 06:27 PM
Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !Kricci Is a GOD !
Another thing to consider is that with an exhaust, intercoolers and tune, you may find yourself in the market for a new clutch very soon after - the stock clutch doesn't have a long life after from what i have read and heard.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:41 PM
dpert1 is on a distinguished road
[*]Common issues to avoid on 07-08 6-speed models? Not too sure what your asking here but the major cost failure points are coolant lines, wing hydraulics, clutch hydraulics, spun cam shafts. All are pretty rare and have a tendency to get hyped up on forums. Pinned coolant lines are a plus to look for, an electric option was just developed for the wing hydraulics, clutch hydraulics are hit and miss but not too expensive, and spun cam shafts are incredibly rare. Make sure you are comfortable with the over rev report.
[*]What maintenance is due at 40k? (And approx cost?) major service, just under $2k at dealer
[*]What maintenance is due at 60k? (And approx cost?) minor service, haven't paid for one yet.
[*]How long does the factory clutch last? Totally depends on your driving style and the owners before you. I've heard anywhere from 20k to 80k miles.
[*]TT models all come with PASM, correct? I believe so.
[*]Is Sport-chrono package standard on TT models? If not, how can I determine if the car has it (especially since I'm looking online at pictures of cars), just the clock in the center of the dash? Not standard. Can be retrofitted afterwards without the dash stopwatch. If it has a sport button under the HVAC controls it has sport chrono. No dash wart and it was retrofitted.
[*]Any other *must have* options? Very personal question. Mine were sport seats, sport chrono, colors (slate or meteor gray on black or cocoa), stick shift. Limited slip is a nice but rare option to find although some argue if it's necessary on an all wheel drive platform.
[*]Was bluetooth calling or bluetooth audio (music) offered on 07-08 models? No
[*]If not, is upgrading to an aftermarket headunit common and easy? No. Mobridge and Denison are optical options to splice in (plug and play really) and there's a cheaper fm antenna plug in option too (name escapes me).
[*]What approx power level will those mods put me at? (Feel free to suggest recommended brands - Especially any adjustable exhausts) flash tune alone (Cobb) will be about 520 crank but your area under the curve is more improved than max hp leads you to believe. Haven't looked into bolt on numbers yet. +1 for working with Sam to get a Kline.
[*]What would E85. an intake/filter, and tune only put me at? Haven't looked into it.
[*]Is the TPC DSC module worth the money for a car that will see track time less than 15% of it's life? I've heard yes, enough so that I'm thinking about getting it.
[*]If so, what springs will work with it (if any)? If not, what coilovers do you recommend for 80% or more street driving? Haven't gotten this far.

Enjoy the search! It's very worth it.

Last edited by dpert1; 02-03-2016 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:20 AM
RideZX6R is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by dpert1
[*]Common issues to avoid on 07-08 6-speed models? Not too sure what your asking here but the major cost failure points are coolant lines, wing hydraulics, clutch hydraulics, spun cam shafts. All are pretty rare and have a tendency to get hyped up on forums. Pinned coolant lines are a plus to look for, an electric option was just developed for the wing hydraulics, clutch hydraulics are hit and miss but not too expensive, and spun cam shafts are incredibly rare. Make sure you are comfortable with the over rev report.
[*]What maintenance is due at 40k? (And approx cost?) major service, just under $2k at dealer
[*]What maintenance is due at 60k? (And approx cost?) minor service, haven't paid for one yet.
[*]How long does the factory clutch last? Totally depends on your driving style and the owners before you. I've heard anywhere from 20k to 80k miles.
[*]TT models all come with PASM, correct? I believe so.
[*]Is Sport-chrono package standard on TT models? If not, how can I determine if the car has it (especially since I'm looking online at pictures of cars), just the clock in the center of the dash? Not standard. Can be retrofitted afterwards without the dash stopwatch. If it has a sport button under the HVAC controls it has sport chrono. No dash wart and it was retrofitted.
[*]Any other *must have* options? Very personal question. Mine were sport seats, sport chrono, colors (slate or meteor gray on black or cocoa), stick shift. Limited slip is a nice but rare option to find although some argue if it's necessary on an all wheel drive platform.
[*]Was bluetooth calling or bluetooth audio (music) offered on 07-08 models? No
[*]If not, is upgrading to an aftermarket headunit common and easy? No. Mobridge and Denison are optical options to splice in (plug and play really) and there's a cheaper fm antenna plug in option too (name escapes me).
[*]What approx power level will those mods put me at? (Feel free to suggest recommended brands - Especially any adjustable exhausts) flash tune alone (Cobb) will be about 520 crank but your area under the curve is more improved than max hp leads you to believe. Haven't looked into bolt on numbers yet. +1 for working with Sam to get a Kline.
[*]What would E85. an intake/filter, and tune only put me at? Haven't looked into it.
[*]Is the TPC DSC module worth the money for a car that will see track time less than 15% of it's life? I've heard yes, enough so that I'm thinking about getting it.
[*]If so, what springs will work with it (if any)? If not, what coilovers do you recommend for 80% or more street driving? Haven't gotten this far.

Enjoy the search! It's very worth it.
Thanks for answering every question you could - Much appreciated sir!

Old 02-04-2016, 12:12 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
This one very good reply. My lines are open if I can ever help you with anything!

Old 02-04-2016, 02:00 PM
TimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to beholdTimeTomorrow is a splendid one to behold
[*]Common issues to avoid on 07-08 6-speed models?
Ceramic brakes can be quite expensive to maintain, and quite easy to wear out on the track, so if you get one with the ceramic disc, check on them and plan accordingly.

>TPC DSC

Supposedly adds quite a bit of street comfort as well as track capability. I haven't picked it up yet, but absolutely intend to just for the comfort.

>[*]Is Sport-chrono package standard on TT models? If not, how can I determine if the car has it (especially since I'm looking online at pictures of cars), just the clock in the center of the dash?

If you are planning on a tune, this option isn't really all that crucial imho. The (useless) clock on the center dash is the visual giveaway.

>[*]Any other *must have* options?

There are a few options on the seats that are significant. Sport vs regular and powered vs unpowered. Unpowered has few adjustments and sport holds you in better but apparently gets worn out much faster.

The rear limited slip option is one to be aware of if you didn't know it was an option, but with the 4wd and pasm, im not sure if it's needed.

>[*]Was bluetooth calling or bluetooth audio (music) offered on 07-08 models?[*]If not, is upgrading to an aftermarket headunit common and easy?

there are band aid fixes for bluetooth (parrot makes a popular one)

>[*]If so, what springs will work with it (if any)? If not, what coilovers do you recommend for 80% or more street driving?

Most the spring options are VERY similar and all will "work". I've got the h&r ones. Nice springs. slightly better ride quality than stock, but the drop has me scraping the lip alllll ovvveeer the place. billstein makes coil overs that will work with it, but google around and you will see some horror stories about billstein coil overs on this car.

[*]If not, is upgrading to an aftermarket headunit common and easy?

easy enough. The parts are all off the shelf available, and you lose some options on the car when you ditch oem system, but I'm quite happy with a modern double din. Obviously you will need to plan on some extra parts beyond the usual wiring harness (fiber optic amp) but it's not a big deal.
[*]What would E85. an intake/filter,

This is a hard car to go easy e85 in. I'm eagerly awaiting a nice solution from cobb, but right now you have to standalone to get proper flex fuel no headaches operation. Sure you can switch maps and get an ethanol content sensor with display and have a few maps... blah blah blah.

Watch out for the intake filter. the most common one is the BMC filter, and it's junk. Do your research before purchasing.

Last edited by TimeTomorrow; 02-04-2016 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:09 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RideZX6R
Ownership...
With that in mind,I'd like to keep the modifications minimal..
i said the same thing. 1000rwhp and 40,000$ ago!!!