997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Driving impressions: 991.1 GT3 vs. 997.2 TTS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 03:57 PM
akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !
Driving impressions: 991.1 GT3 vs. 997.2 TTS

I promised a brief review of my driving impressions of the 991.1 GT3 vs. the 997.2 TTS, well here goes…

Chassis & Suspension

This was the first thing I noticed on the drive home, the 991 chassis is simply more compliant than the 997. You definitely feel the difference in the longer wheelbase (stability) compared to the 997. The suspension is also vastly different with the GT surprisingly absorbing quite a few bumps in spite of its sportier tuning. The 991 is certainly the more ‘civilized’ of the two and felt more polished than the 997. At speed, I feel surprisingly more comfortable in the 991. On the track, this is evident in fast sweepers where the increased stability in the GT3 is clearly apparent.

Engine
Here the difference is quite distinct. Turbo flat 6 vs high revving NA flat 6. Monster low-end torque vs. precise linear torque build up that sings up to 9K rpm! The two engines could not be more different, the turbo comes alive at around 2,500 rpm while the NA engine cherishes life above 5,500 rpm! While you have to experience the GT3 at 9K rpm to believe how gloriously it revs and shifts at those revs, for now, (for me) nothing beats the immediacy and brutality of the low-end torque in the turbo…once it gets going, there is no stopping it. The turbo S engine is simply more exhilarating. I also find the turbo engine more practical for the street and more fun in everyday situations while the GT3 engine is in its element on the track.

Handling
The GT3 simply outshines the turbo S in this department. The combination of the wider front track, rear wheel steering, finely tuned electronic steering and better engineered suspension makes for a confidence inspiring feeling in the GT3. You know exactly where the car will end up with a given steering input. Further, the lighter front-end in the GT3 (vs. the turbo S) also adds to the better handling feel. I made modest modifications to the turbo S to improve its handling but it still doesn’t come anywhere close to the near surgical precision of the GT3. For reference, there is hardly any understeer in the GT3, even when pushed hard on the track, as the car has tons of mechanical grip to compliment the above mentioned advantages. The GT3 simply flies through corners without much body roll!!

Steering
I had read about the electric-assisted steering in the GT3 and I was keen to compare it to the hydraulic steering in the 997.2 turbo S. While Porsche did a fantastic job with the calibration of the electronic assisted steering in the GT3 (it provides quite good feedback and is nicely weighted), I found the hydraulic steering in the 997 more engaging and communicative. I felt this more in the tightest corners…in the GT3, the car just went were you directed it (almost clinical in its execution) while in the 997 turbo S you felt the steering effort more. It is very possible that the weight disadvantage between the two cars was at play here. With the turbo S close to 400 lbs heavier (with a heavier front end), I may very well have simply felt the additional weight being transmitted via the steering column at turn ins. The GT3 felt much more nimble and easier to steer, especially at speed!

Transmission
While both are PDK, the only thing I can say is that the PDK in the 991 appeared crisper in its shifts than the 997.2 While the 997 PDK was fantastic, the 991 seemed to be a lot better at selecting the right gear and shifting optimally. On the track, in Sport Plus, the turbo S would often struggle to select the optimal gear (especially in decreasing radius, slow corners)…in contrast in 'PDK Sport' mode, the GT3 was perfect every time. Classic example was Oak Tree (T12) at VIR, the GT3 would always be in the right gear to attack the following back straight while in the turbo S, I sometimes had to manually paddle-downshift to select the optimal gear on exit. The new PDK setting/tuning in the 991 is better than in the 997.

Brakes
Again both were PCCB but the GT3 “outbraked” the turbo S on the track by about 200ft! I suspect the combination of better PCCB, lighter car, more downforce and lower max speeds in heavy brake zones favored the GT3. At VIR, some of my reference points in the heavy brake zones (into T1 and T13) had to be adjusted by over 200ft…I could simply brake much later in the GT3 with little to no compromise in corner entry speeds. The GT3 also maintained incredible stability under heavy braking. If not that the car was about 2 weeks new to me, I would have pushed the limit more. The GT3’s potential on the track is simply incredible. As usual with PCCBs, there was no fade to speak of, even after 30mins DE sessions, in both the GT3 and the turbo S. Gotta love those PCCBs (if only they didn’t cost a year’s kid tuition to replace!!)

In summary, the 991.1 GT3 is an incredibly balanced machine and in its element on the track. I preferred my 997.2 turbo S for the street though as (1) the PDK in the GT3 can only be described as “annoyed” under 3K rpm during city driving, (2) the wing in the GT3 totally obstructs the view out of the rear window (and I mean LITERALLY obstructs the view…Porsche clearly chose function over form with that one!) and (3) the GT3 cabin is slightly louder than the 997.2 turbo S (I believe Porsche removed some sound insulation to save weight). All in all, not deal breakers. Both are fantastic machines but with clear design/engineering intentions (GT3 = track, turbo S = street). The GT3 is clearly faster than the 997.2 turbo S around VIR (I was 3 seconds faster in the GT3) despite having 115HP less horsepower and over 200 lb-ft less torque!!

Love the two cars, I miss the low-end boost/power in the turbo S but love everything else more in the GT3 (maybe cuz she’s still new), except the rear view out the back window! Hope this provides some real world insight into the two cars for those considering the jump. For me, the jump was totally worth it...the turbo S has the power but can numb your senses, the GT3 keeps you on your toes everytime and never lets you forget that you are driving a GT Porsche! You gotta love it!

Old 11-10-2017, 01:17 PM
Whosdady is a jewel in the roughWhosdady is a jewel in the roughWhosdady is a jewel in the rough
OP, thank you for your driving impressions. Your Gt3 is beautiful. I’m sure you will enjoy your new car.

I think for the most part, the biggest changes you described were changing from a TTS to a Gt3. I wonder how much different your impressions would have been if you went from a 991 TTS to a 991 Gt3? My guess is they would be very similar from what you described above...

Old 11-10-2017, 01:30 PM
akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Whosdady
OP, thank you for your driving impressions. Your Gt3 is beautiful. I’m sure you will enjoy your new car.

I think for the most part, the biggest changes you described were changing from a TTS to a Gt3. I wonder how much different your impressions would have been if you went from a 991 TTS to a 991 Gt3? My guess is they would be very similar from what you described above...
Excellent point WD. I've driven the 991TTS and while its on a similar 991 chassis as the 991 GT3, there are still quite a few differences that I suspect one would notice, namely; (1) AWD in the TTS vs. RWD in the GT3, (2) turbo engine vs NA engine, most noticeably in the low/mid vs upper rev range (3) suspension set-up in the TTS is softer and more tuned for touring than in the GT3 (4) weight disadvantage as the TTS is considerably heavier than the GT3, (5) aero and downforce is much better in the GT3 and lastly (6) the GT3 still handles crispier.

I suspect that you are correct and the comparison would likely be closer (vs. a 997TTS vs. 991 GT3 comparison) but I can assure you that if you drove a 991TTS and a 991 GT3 back-to-back, you would immediately tell the difference. Ask Longboarder, he has both.

Last edited by akunob; 11-10-2017 at 03:23 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:01 PM
Whosdady is a jewel in the roughWhosdady is a jewel in the roughWhosdady is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by akunob
Excellent point WD. I've driven the 991TTS and while its on a similar 991 chassis as the 991 GT3, there are still quite a few differences that I suspect one would notice, namely; (1) AWD in the TTS vs. RWD in the GT3, (2) turbo engine vs NA engine, most noticeably in the low/mid vs upper rev range (3) suspension set-up in the TTS is softer and more tuned for touring than in the GT3 (4) weight disadvantage as the TTS is considerably heavier than the GT3, (5) aero and downforce is much better in the GT3 and lastly (6) the GT3 still handles crispier.

I suspect that you are correct and the comparison would likely be closer (vs. a 997TTS vs. 991 GT3 comparison) but I can assure you that if you drove a 991TTS and a 991 GT3 back-to-back, you would immediately tell the difference. Ask Longboarder, he has has both.
I completely agree with you.

For me personally, I need more tq. So the gt3 wasn’t an option. But I sure wish my TTS handled like your gt3. I also wish the appearance was more similar. I guess Adam has the right idea. Buy both...

Old 11-16-2017, 04:12 PM
wirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud of
Great writing (Y)
4 seats vs 2 seats is biggest problem for me

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.