997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Which 911 for me?

Old 01-05-2018, 04:45 PM
FlossyRy is an unknown quantity at this point
Which 911 for me?

I think it's time I entered the world of the Porsche sports car.

I've owned a lot of cars, big power GTR, Supras, R8 etc... and as they were fast as I get older I learn that being the fastest isn't always the most fun.

I've narrowed it down to a couple different cars, and being in a rural area I don't have a huge list of cars I can test drive. IT will require travel.

I'm looking for something quick, but still has a bit of rawness but can be taken on drives and bring my daughter to daycare in as she loves to go fast. This car may see one track day a year, maybe two. New to the track scene but would like to learn, however I don't want to be the newbie showing up in a GT3 making 2 minute laps lol

Forgot to mention I daily an A6, so this is my second garage car.

997.2/997.1 Turbo
Logical choice, can be had for reasonable money and tuned for good power and still looks modern.

991 Turbo
Looks great, more pricey but I really like the body style on the 991's.

991 GT3
It's about $20k more than I want to spend, but I heard this is a fantastic drivers car but not as fast as the turbo can be. Two seats, also a unique driving experience.

Looking for advice from anyone coming from 800+ HP cars or have driven all three.

Appreciate you guys.

Old 01-05-2018, 05:04 PM
NBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud of
If you're torn at all between a Turbo and a GT3 then you owe it to yourself to drive both. These cars exit the factory very different beasts from one another. A few guys here own both, I'm sure they'll chime in eventually.

A clean low miles 997.1 TT will probably hold it's value while entertaining you while you wait for 991.2 6MT GT3s to become reasonable on the secondary market. Food for thought. Edit: By reasonable I mean full sticker without ADM for a car with a couple thousand miles.

Last edited by NBoost; 01-05-2018 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:26 PM
NBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud ofNBoost has much to be proud of
https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...b-buckets.html

I can't stop looking at that this PDK car^, love the color.

Old 01-05-2018, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by NBoost
https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...b-buckets.html

I can't stop looking at that this PDK car^, love the color.
Saw that, such a rare build. Out of my price range however. Stunning car.

Old 01-05-2018, 08:47 PM
wkp42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Just curious, why are you even considering the 997 if you have 991 money? Just curious.

Last edited by wkp42; 01-05-2018 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by wkp42
Just curious, why are you even considering the 997 if you have 991 money? Just curious.
Could use the extra money buying a 997 for my business or investment etc.

Old 01-06-2018, 12:25 PM
mattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by wkp42
I think there are many that have 991 money and buy a 997. I have driven all of the cars that the op mentioned and have owned most of them including a v10 R8 Plus. I find that the 997 platform suited my needs and is much more engaging than my 991 turbo S was. I think that the 997 is way under rated and once you go away form it and then come back to it you realize this. Also, to the op, there will always be someone faster no matter how much you put into the car. I would suggest drive them and find out which one feels better to you. Since the 997 TT is my play car, it is exactly what I want it to be. JMHO

Old 01-06-2018, 05:10 PM
shawkinguk is a glorious beacon of lightshawkinguk is a glorious beacon of lightshawkinguk is a glorious beacon of lightshawkinguk is a glorious beacon of lightshawkinguk is a glorious beacon of light
997.1TT for driver engagement, good store of value, still blows doors off most things on road

991TT for more road trip use, better tech, feels alot more modern

GT3 for more track use, high end hp, but lose the wow-this is fast factor as TQ doesnt compare to turbo cars

Old 01-07-2018, 09:05 AM
lliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud of
While my experience has not reached the 800+HP range, I have driven the V10 S6, the UrS6 and now the 997.1 (still have all 3 in my stable).

I liken the 997 to the UrS6. While the V10 growls and pulls well at the low end, it had no MT offering, which is it's biggest issue. While it is much more technologically advanced than the UrS6, driving the UrS6 always puts a smile on my face. As Shawking as so succinctly put it, the 997 is the car for driver engagement specifically because the driver is physically more connected to the vehicle, whereas the 991 uses much more electronics, including electronic steering and AT transmissions.

From everything I have read, if you want a track car, then the GT3 is your answer.

I did a great deal of research when I purchased my 911. The best value for dollar and performance, in my opinion, is the 997. It really has put it all together in a tidy package. The combination of interior design, mechanical prowess (MT & Mezger engine) and price cannot be matched currently by any other offering.

For the best summary of the differences, Shawking nailed it.

Ed

Old 01-07-2018, 01:37 PM
4ocious is just really nice4ocious is just really nice4ocious is just really nice4ocious is just really nice
2011-2013 997.2 TTS. The best of many but not all worlds.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:53 AM
gruppe75 is on a distinguished road
Many of us use this flow chart to determine which is the correct model to chose from

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Porsche-Flow-5.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	891.7 KB
ID:	518925  
Old 01-08-2018, 08:11 AM
997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !
reading your post, you want an enjoyable and engaging car. I think 3 pedals is the only way to go to meet those requirements. This group will be biased since you posted in a 997tt forum. It may be a pain in the *** but when spending over $50k for a car, you'd be crazy not to test drive all options you're considering

Old 01-08-2018, 09:03 AM
lliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud of
"I actually want to die" had me spewing my coffee!

Ed

Old 01-08-2018, 08:20 PM
LukesportsmanX is a splendid one to beholdLukesportsmanX is a splendid one to beholdLukesportsmanX is a splendid one to beholdLukesportsmanX is a splendid one to beholdLukesportsmanX is a splendid one to beholdLukesportsmanX is a splendid one to beholdLukesportsmanX is a splendid one to beholdLukesportsmanX is a splendid one to behold
Yes, I'm in that last camp. Don't overlook a mod'd 6GT2 if you want engaging and challenging even at more conservative 650hp. But it's going to be more rough than any 997TT. I love my 997TT at 600whp for a refined outing. It's all relative, but coming from years of aircooled.....the 6GT2 is a comfy ride on track.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:16 PM
SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by FlossyRy
I think it's time I entered the world of the Porsche sports car.

I've owned a lot of cars, big power GTR, Supras, R8 etc... and as they were fast as I get older I learn that being the fastest isn't always the most fun.

I've narrowed it down to a couple different cars, and being in a rural area I don't have a huge list of cars I can test drive. IT will require travel.

I'm looking for something quick, but still has a bit of rawness but can be taken on drives and bring my daughter to daycare in as she loves to go fast. This car may see one track day a year, maybe two. New to the track scene but would like to learn, however I don't want to be the newbie showing up in a GT3 making 2 minute laps lol

Forgot to mention I daily an A6, so this is my second garage car.

997.2/997.1 Turbo
Logical choice, can be had for reasonable money and tuned for good power and still looks modern.

991 Turbo
Looks great, more pricey but I really like the body style on the 991's.

991 GT3
It's about $20k more than I want to spend, but I heard this is a fantastic drivers car but not as fast as the turbo can be. Two seats, also a unique driving experience.

Looking for advice from anyone coming from 800+ HP cars or have driven all three.

Appreciate you guys.
Former multi-time big power Supra guy here.

You'll feel more at home in a turbo than a GT3.

Driving a GT3 is more of an occasion/experience though. Recommend drive both. You can make a turbo a lot of fun on track if that's your thing, but it's harder to add power to a GT3 if you find it lacking.

Realistically speaking, you need one of each

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Which 911 for me?