997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

2007 TT tip starter help , dealer wants $3500 total

Old 02-12-2018, 08:13 AM
Sadie380se is an unknown quantity at this point
2007 TT tip starter help , dealer wants $3500 total

Can anyone that has changed their own starter give me some guidance in changing out the starter , like the exact location of the starter & if I need to drop the cradle , the dealer said it’s on the passenger side above the axle.
I do see the battery cable headed up don’t see any kind of stater ,, thanks for any positive help in advance

Old 02-12-2018, 09:37 AM
lliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud of
Jack and stand the car. Drop the rear splash guard (pull back on it when the torx screws are loose, it will drop right down).

Look up above the passenger axle and you will see the black windinds/motor section of the starter with a black plastic cover over the solenoid.

Mine is a manual transmission, so I did not have to deal with the trans coolant lines, but the write up does not sound that difficult to deal with.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turbo-forum/1031075-2007-997-1-no-start-no-crank.html

is a post (#6 in the series) that has the wording for the shop instructions from another forum member (the pix did not post). I will look and see if anything I put together has some pictures, if not, and the link doesn't help, let me know and I will take some photos of the starter in place.

Ed

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 06-27-2019 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:43 AM
964hans will become famous soon enough
Hello,

See attachment
Hans

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
WM 276019 R&I starter Turbo.pdf (1.01 MB, 120 views)
Old 02-12-2018, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the replies , It’ll be a couple days before I can update the results but thanks

Old 02-13-2018, 08:38 PM
Former Vendor
BMRWC is on a distinguished road
This is a tiptronic, correct? If so, you have to drop the motor/trans as it’s nothing like a 6 speed.

Old 02-14-2018, 01:28 AM
Originally Posted by BMRWC
This is a tiptronic, correct? If so, you have to drop the motor/trans as it’s nothing like a 6 speed.
yes tiptronic , I’ve been under the car looking for a 1/2hr & still don’t see the starter , starting to think your correct

Old 02-14-2018, 06:34 AM
Former Vendor
BMRWC is on a distinguished road
Just google Porsche 996 tiptronic transmission and look at the images.

Starter is on the drivers side, not passenger, and it is above the midline of the trans meaning everything has to be lowered. It’s a real PITA! It’s pretty much right above the drivers axle stub shaft.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:48 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
its a PITA on a TIP because the trans is huge

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 06-26-2019, 05:10 PM
darkhorse1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Just curious on this, Im currently pulling the engine on my 997 tt tiptronic. The Porsche manual I have is very vague about disconnecting the starter to be able to lower the engine and the tranny (in fact it only deals with the manual!). This thread confirms I have to lower the engine and tranny somewhat to gain access to the starter motor connections?

Would be grateful if anyone can confirm this, as there is very little on removing the tiptronic combo specifically and I dont want to damage some wiring doing this without being sure!!

I have pretty much everything disconnected, drained and ready to come out except starter connections, cardan shaft which doesnt seem to want to seperate even though the bolts are out. I believe this should pull down and backwards with some persuasion right?
I have disconnected shifter cables, electrical connector plug but cant see a great deal more to come off it?!

Thanks a lot if anyone can advise ! Any tips would be most appreciated

just seen that pdf hans, amazing work as usual! thanks.

But still, any tips appreciated. I will be much happier when the engine is out and I can to work replacing the turbo lines etc

Last edited by darkhorse1; 06-26-2019 at 05:19 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:53 AM
lliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud of
The manual Hans posted above has the instructions, however a quick look at images online shows the trans and engine dropped with what appears to be the starter still installed:

So I am not sure you need to deal with it until it is out of the engine bay (or not at all if there is nothing wrong with it).

Now I have a MT, so I have no first hand experience with Tips.

Ed

Old 06-27-2019, 10:17 AM
Thanks Ed, yes I wasn't planning on removing the starter (it works perfectly), but I assume there is part of the wiring loom that I need to disconnect from the terminals to enable the box to be lowered. The manual above assumes the tranny and engine are not being lowered, I guess thats a procedure the dealership use is to remove the pipe brackets and make access that way for starter replacement.

Im hoping someone who has removed the auto trans and engine can confirm I can lower the gearbox a little to make access to undo the wiring from the connections under the black plastic cover!

Would save me having to remove the pipe brackets and such like if so!

thanks in advance

Old 06-27-2019, 11:55 AM
From the picture it looks like the wires heading into the engine will be part of the engine, so that should be fine. I think the wire harness that is hanging off to the bottom of the picture is what you need to remove, so if you can see where that goes I think you need to make your disconnect there. Like I said, unfortunately mine is a MT, but I did find a better close up of that connection:

I can't tell but it looks that assembly is bolted to the trans on that side.

Hope this helps.

Ed

Old 06-27-2019, 12:53 PM
Nice find Ed! Thanks buddy I will go and take a look and see if I can find that now. will update. thanks again

Old 06-27-2019, 05:27 PM
Think that must be the one, thanks buddy
Only issue I have now is seperating the Cardan shaft from the trans output! I have the 3 bolts out, I cant rotate the wheels as the fronts are on metal ramps, so I cant take the bolts out the other side of the guibo as cant get to the top one as it would need rotating down. But that shouldnt make any difference?, Is it just a case of levering behind the guibo to unseat the metal tubes enough to remove? Thats how its been on other cars I have owned (RWD front engined) , any confirmation appreciated. Should be the same for manual or tip! thanks

Old 06-27-2019, 05:51 PM
Yep, had the same. Get a rubber mallet and a piece of wood and whack it firmly from various angles. It will pop.

They sell these puller deals, but I think that's overkill unless you know you have a ton of rust or something.

Ed

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2007 TT tip starter help , dealer wants $3500 total