997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

MAF sensors delemma

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 01:00 PM
hollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura abouthollywood996tts has a spectacular aura about
MAF sensors delemma

I have been told by a former Porsche certified tech who I trust that when replacing these only go with the Porsche unit and not aftermarket. I wanted clarity on aftermarket and he said anything else other than the Porsche OEM part. I said even a Bosch unit with the same part number? He said yes been there and done that. I asked him to explain and he said the difference is time spent on calibration as opposed to semi-generic. Just like a cookie cutter tune vs. a custom tailored tune. Naturally, I'd rather spend less than half per unit I'm seeing $600ish for Porsche and $250ish for Bosch non-Porsche. He said the generic will need replacing in about a year where as the OEM won't.

I also saw on youtube where a guys states that it's not necessary to replace the "air cleaner assembly housing", only the sensor and that saves a bit of $. Mine are fine for the time being but I just spent $2100 changing pretty much everything else around them like plugs, coils, fuel filter and O2 sensors. And mine are swapped from left to right still even though the shop cleaned them and no check eng light so far. But, I'm preparing that I may need 2 in the near future.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 08-09-2018 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:34 PM
mikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of light
I can only comment that I have replaced my MAF's with Bosch non-Porsche and have been trouble free for over 3 years. I also went back to OEM paper filter vs BMC which could have lead to the original OEM failure in the first place. I have no idea why you wound need to replace the housing. If you are replacing the MAf's yourself you will need a special Torx+ Security bit which can be hard to source. I feel you pain as I also replaced my plugs and coils before figuring out the problem in fact the MAF's!

Last edited by mikestyle; 08-10-2018 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:28 PM
Whosdady is a jewel in the roughWhosdady is a jewel in the roughWhosdady is a jewel in the rough
I replaced mine with the Cobb 3 bar without issue...

Old 08-10-2018, 04:43 PM
YJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond repute
Isnt' Bosche the OEM replacement?
If he wants you to buy a bosche inside a porsche box tell him to go pound salt.
Always buy the MAF with the porsche part number, its always a bosche MAF, never put generic and especially cheap Chinese mafs in your car.