997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

How to improve “shifts feel”?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 12:06 PM
jonniesbr is on a distinguished road
How to improve “shifts feel”?

Heys guys
have a 997.1 turbo manual 2007 with 27k milles
sachs 2.5 LWFW, exhaust and tune
looking for ways to improve shifting feel
maybe shift cables or cup short shifter?(especially 1st to 2nd gear), has anyone upgraded those and whats the feedback?
Any help?

Old 12-03-2018, 01:56 PM
lliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud of
On stock clutch slave?
On original Motor & Trans mounts?

Ed

Old 12-03-2018, 03:35 PM
cjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond repute
I love my setup which is the Numeric Racing shifter (stock cables) and Function-First ****, as well as Wevo semi-solid engine mounts.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:39 PM
Skwerl will become famous soon enoughSkwerl will become famous soon enough
GT2 or BBi slave conversion, semi-solid engine mounts, semi-solid transmission mount (or Function First transmission mount insert), Numeric shifter and Numeric cables make up my personal end goal for the best possible shifting. (Plus the Sachs clutch once that's needed. And don't forget some fresh Mobilube PTX transmission fluid.)

With that said, I've seen some people post that even with all sorts of upgrades and mods, they still get the balky 1-2 shift, so it might just be part of the transmission's design to an extent.

Last edited by Skwerl; 12-03-2018 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:39 AM
Originally Posted by lliejk
On stock clutch slave?
On original Motor & Trans mounts?

Ed
so far its stock
still deciding about clutch slave( bbi or gt2)
rss motor mounts semi solid on the way
but would like to improve ****fing especially 1st to second

Old 12-04-2018, 08:56 AM
lliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud oflliejk has much to be proud of
On my plate is the clutch slave and trans/motor mounts. I have cup cables also, but I do not think they are improvement in feel just a preventative for failure.

Ed

Old 12-04-2018, 09:32 AM
On my plate is the clutch slave and trans/motor mounts. I have cup cables also, but I do not think they are improvement in feel just a preventative for failure.

Ed
looking for a crisp and smooth shifting, like 3rd to 4th, but 1st and 2nd are very diferent and not so smooth

Old 12-04-2018, 11:00 AM
As with others, the hydraulic assist clutch slave setup has been noticed to be variable in the way the clutch engages, primarily when starting in 1st. There have been two solutions:

1. Learn to manage it
2. Change the clutch slave setup

As with everything, there are pros and cons to each. You can do some reading and research here and elsewhere to see what others have felt about the topic. Search terms like GT2 slave or clutch slave and do some reading.

Ed

Old 12-04-2018, 11:25 AM
As with others, the hydraulic assist clutch slave setup has been noticed to be variable in the way the clutch engages, primarily when starting in 1st. There have been two solutions:

1. Learn to manage it
2. Change the clutch slave setup

As with everything, there are pros and cons to each. You can do some reading and research here and elsewhere to see what others have felt about the topic. Search terms like GT2 slave or clutch slave and do some reading.

Ed
thanks Ed
understand that, but actually looking to improve the shifting itself ans not clutch feeling

Old 12-04-2018, 12:54 PM
Oh, then from what I have read the Numeric Shifter is something you should look at.

Ed

Old 12-04-2018, 05:46 PM
cjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond reputecjcam930 has a reputation beyond repute
If your shifter/cables are not adjusted and aligned properly then I understand that can lead to imprecise or notchy shifting.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:41 PM
HarmonyJim is on a distinguished road
I have the Numeric cables along with an OEM 997.2RS shifter in my 2007 997.1RS (they went from plastic to metal bushings for the shifter pivots in subsequent model variations). The feel from the cables is a bit 'notchier' (I have seen it described as similar to a bolt action on a rifle - maybe so), more solid, and I don't even think about the cables breaking ever (they are massive). Down side is that the Numerics (as well as the Cup cables) add a 'small' amount of noise that you will certainly notice. My independent mechanic (Ben @ Salerno Motorsports, Rocklin, CA) says it sounds like a new 'speaker' has been installed in the interior. The single-mass flywheel-caused transmission 'chatter', the Sharkwerks bypass, and the cables, result in a somewhat lively interior. Just part of the RS experience for me - might not be something you will like.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:52 PM
Skwerl will become famous soon enoughSkwerl will become famous soon enough
I wish there were a more consistent definition of "notchy." To me, it always sounds bad, like you have to struggle to align it with a narrow notch. On the other hand, "rifle bolt" would be relatively effortless, but solid and smooth, like you're moving pieces of interlocked finely machined metal.

Regardless, I have to assume that having properly aligned rigid components like the Numeric shifter and cable will be an improvement over the stock setup's stretchy plastics.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:41 AM
usrodeo4 is a splendid one to beholdusrodeo4 is a splendid one to beholdusrodeo4 is a splendid one to beholdusrodeo4 is a splendid one to beholdusrodeo4 is a splendid one to beholdusrodeo4 is a splendid one to beholdusrodeo4 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jonniesbr
Heys guys
have a 997.1 turbo manual 2007 with 27k milles
sachs 2.5 LWFW, exhaust and tune
looking for ways to improve shifting feel
maybe shift cables or cup short shifter?(especially 1st to 2nd gear), has anyone upgraded those and whats the feedback?
Any help?
Mine has the OEM Sport Shifter option and she shifts like a swiss watch...zero complaints (especially 1st thru 4th). I also just had 993RS motor mounts installed (with a Turbo build and Sach's Race Engineering clutch) as I had read it really helped the MT cars shift better, but have not yet driven her post upgrade so can't give a review there yet. Suncoast has the OEM Sports shifter kit for $430, I would give that a try rather than going to a Cup shifter, unless you are mainly tracking her.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:31 AM
superslow is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the numeric shifter and cables. They give you a very positive and direct feel, however I thought the 997 stock equipment was really good already. As others have mentioned, definitely adds a little noise.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to improve “shifts feel”?