997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

ByDesign and Cobb AP3 Experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 05:17 PM
ccsfd is an unknown quantity at this point
ByDesign and Cobb AP3 Experience

Just want to post my review/experience with my TT. The car was totally stock when I got it last year and to be honest I was a bit disappointed with the performance.
Im used to driving mostly modified Japanese performance cars which I think is a lot of fun, so decided to try some euro cars. I bought a very nice E46 M3, light mods
with exhaust and suspension. But I missed the pull of turbo cars so decided to trade it for a 997TT. The TT puts the power so effeciently and non of the traction
dramas and slides I was used to with my Jap cars, that it feels a bit boring. Also my car only boosts to 1 bar for a split second and settles on .8 bar on sport mode
I never saw the advertised 1.2 bar boost, after searching and asking a some owners on the forums, this seem to be normal on the .1 TTs
So decided to do some mods, I only wanted to do exhaust and a Cobb AP3. After researching I decided to get a custom made 3" stainless x pipe exhaust
and bought a Cobb AP3 from Sam at DyDesign. I've read good things about Sam's expertise and service. He gave me a good deal on the Cobb and promised
to give me a good price when I decided to do a custom tune in the future. I installed the exhaust and the AP and ran the Stage2 91 OTS map for a few months.
Even though Im using 98Ron fuel I didnt run the Stage2 93 OTS map, when I did a few datalogs I noticed that my car runs high knock counts even with the 91
map, did some research and asking some owners and again found that this seem to be normal with the .1tt. The car felt strong and way better than stock with the
OTS map but I wasnt happy with the knock counts and felt that I wasnt getting the most of the set up. I emailed Sam with the logs and he emailed me new maps till
we are both happy with the results. He was sending me revisions on the same day I email him, even when I got an email response that he was off during the holidays.
Even with the time difference between NZ and the US I get the revisions in an hour or two.
Hardly any knock counts (-2 to -4max but mostly 0 corrections), steady boost and car pulls even stronger than the OTS maps with boost pressures looking the same.

Cobb timer is probably not as accurate as a proper time slip but its the before and after using the same timing device that matters.
Didnt do stock run but had a video once i think it was 4s to 100(62mph)
First photo OTS stage2 91 taken last winter with intake temps @ 16*C
Second photo Sam's map summer with intake temps @ 28*C
Third photo is a 0-60 with intake temps over 30*C

Anyway just want to say thanks to Sam for the tune and Cobb for a great tuning device.

Last edited by ccsfd; 01-12-2019 at 08:59 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:19 PM
ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !
You made the right choice going with Sam.

Old 01-18-2019, 05:47 PM
Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !
I need to try the "performance" option on my Cobb AP... Never done it before.

Nice Numbers and congrats.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:10 PM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
Sam and Co are top notch.
Contacted them for a custom exhaust for a GT2RS build ... they were incredible to deal with.
Would highly recommend!

Old 01-20-2019, 07:56 PM
ccsfd is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Big Swole
I need to try the "performance" option on my Cobb AP... Never done it before.

Nice Numbers and congrats.
Please post would be interesting to see how the cobb compares to your timeslip on the video
Been wanting to take mine to the dragstrip but its over an hours drive away.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjf...nzr1qQzy4LbV1A

Old 01-21-2019, 03:50 PM
Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !Big Swole Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ccsfd
Please post would be interesting to see how the cobb compares to your timeslip on the video
Been wanting to take mine to the dragstrip but its over an hours drive away.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjf...nzr1qQzy4LbV1A

Would be interesting but would need the same prepped track conditions to make it fair.
Cold weather with street tire pressures never launches well. lol

Maybe in the summer / fall when the event comes back here though.