997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

COBB Custom tune - need vendor support

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 09:45 PM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
Progress Update: We have gone through 6 iterations of the map ... and we're almost there... with maybe one iteration left.
This last revision (this morning) has certainly been a game changer, specifically with lower RPM responsiveness, and carrying it through the band range.

Sam's been an absolute LEGEND to work with!
Seriously, not only is he knowledgeable, he offers a best in class product (custom tuning), but he also went out of his way to help with another item I've been battling with - completely separate to the tuning work. Just top class.

I'll update once again, once we are all done.

In the mean time... here she is basking in the sun.

Old 05-31-2019, 05:21 AM
3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !
Excellent update. Enjoy it in good health.

6 iterations is quite some work invested.. kudos.

Any vbox/dragy numbers to share?

Would be nice to see where you stand with results

Originally Posted by pureporsche
Progress Update: We have gone through 6 iterations of the map ... and we're almost there... with maybe one iteration left.
This last revision (this morning) has certainly been a game changer, specifically with lower RPM responsiveness, and carrying it through the band range.

Sam's been an absolute LEGEND to work with!
Seriously, not only is he knowledgeable, he offers a best in class product (custom tuning), but he also went out of his way to help with another item I've been battling with - completely separate to the tuning work. Just top class.

I'll update once again, once we are all done.

In the mean time... here she is basking in the sun.

Old 06-01-2019, 07:51 AM
pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !pureporsche Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 3llooi
Excellent update. Enjoy it in good health.
6 iterations is quite some work invested.. kudos.
Any vbox/dragy numbers to share?
Would be nice to see where you stand with results
Yeah, Sam is methodical, and very systematic.

I've had 2 tunes before this one, Softronic (Off the shelf) and then Dzenno's (ProTuningFreaks) Custom tune. With Dzenno we did roughly the same amount of revisions, so it's very normal.

The goal, when discussing with Sam, was to get better response and top end power, outperforming the previous tunes - not an easy task
Also had a few strange artifacts from the last tune that we wanted to look into.

Sam is all about fine tuning, getting to a safe edge. I also have a bunch of "go-fast" parts and wanted to remain on pump gas (Canadian 94), so getting to real power on that gas safely is no easy task.

I don't have a vBox but I do have logs from all the tunes so we're comparing it that way, not the best - but it's the best we have. Once we're all done, I'll hook her up to a hub dyno at my shop for final results.

Overall I'm really happy with the results - specifically when comparing it to the other tunes.
Sam's a mad scientist!

Old 06-01-2019, 11:06 AM
ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !
Sam is at the top of his game as always.

Old 06-01-2019, 11:48 AM
The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !The Bogg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pureporsche
Yeah, Sam is methodical, and very systematic.

I've had 2 tunes before this one, Softronic (Off the shelf) and then Dzenno's (ProTuningFreaks) Custom tune. With Dzenno we did roughly the same amount of revisions, so it's very normal.

The goal, when discussing with Sam, was to get better response and top end power, outperforming the previous tunes - not an easy task
Also had a few strange artifacts from the last tune that we wanted to look into.

Sam is all about fine tuning, getting to a safe edge. I also have a bunch of "go-fast" parts and wanted to remain on pump gas (Canadian 94), so getting to real power on that gas safely is no easy task.

I don't have a vBox but I do have logs from all the tunes so we're comparing it that way, not the best - but it's the best we have. Once we're all done, I'll hook her up to a hub dyno at my shop for final results.

Overall I'm really happy with the results - specifically when comparing it to the other tunes.
Sam's a mad scientist!
I compared the Cobb time logs with the pbox and it was pretty close so sometimes when I'm lazy and just looking to compare between different settings I just calculate times using the time stamps in the datalogs. For example, I can get an idea what the 60-100mph time is by looking at the datalogs. Sure it may not be good enough for the official lists but it is a quick and easy way to assess performance differences.

I'm just looking for that last bit of performance at boost onset (low rpm responsiveness) so maybe I'll ask Sam what he did for you!

Old 06-01-2019, 06:31 PM
ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !ctony66 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by The Bogg
I compared the Cobb time logs with the pbox and it was pretty close so sometimes when I'm lazy and just looking to compare between different settings I just calculate times using the time stamps in the datalogs. For example, I can get an idea what the 60-100mph time is by looking at the datalogs. Sure it may not be good enough for the official lists but it is a quick and easy way to assess performance differences.

I'm just looking for that last bit of performance at boost onset (low rpm responsiveness) so maybe I'll ask Sam what he did for you!
Give Sam a call he will get that last little bit you seek. He did for a lot of guys.

Old 06-05-2019, 11:59 AM
mikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of light
Hi Sam! Not to steal the thread but I am also in the same boat in regards to tuner support. I was also speaking on the phone with you earlier this year. I am waiting to do some mods and will require a new tune after that. However I was wondering if you have the ability to make the exhaust pop and burble through a tune?

Old 06-05-2019, 03:25 PM
mikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of lightmikestyle is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks Sam, we will be in touch after the next round of mods!

Old 06-29-2019, 07:53 AM
Quick update folks... still making progress on the tune...
It's been slowed down due to my travels.

However, in the interim, wanted to wish Sam and his team, the best of luck with this monster for Pike's Peak Hill climb.
For my Canadian friends - Happy Canada Day!

Last edited by pureporsche; 06-29-2019 at 08:01 AM.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:21 PM
Hey folks!

So I'm still running some final comparisons, and a little bit of final tuning but think we may be done.

I have a lot of hardware mods and short of taking it to the dyno (which I will, a hub dyno) I'm doing multiple 3rd gear pulls, 5 or more per map, on the same strip of road and normalizing for weight, temperature, humidity, tire height, gear ratio, etc, etc... to get WHP and WTQ curves.
I'll post actual screenshots once I have more confidence in the numbers and the final tune, but Sam has pulled together a really nice tune.

Background:
  1. I've had a softronic tune OTS as my first tune.
  2. Then went to a custom tune by Pro Tuning Freaks (Dzenno)
  3. And finally By Design (Sam)
So I have quite a few comparisons to test.

The "Control":
When I run the stock STAGE 0 map from Cobb - which is equivalent to the stock map from the factory:
I'm sitting roughly +17% more WHP over stock engine / powertrain

This is due to all the engine hardware I have:
  • Champion 68mm VTGs
  • Champion Intercoolers
  • 82mm GT3 TB, 82mm IDP Plenum and IDP Y-Pipe
  • Much larger WERKS airhoses (all of them)
  • By Design -> Kline custom 3" GT2RS de-cat exhaust

When loading in my last tuner's custom map (who did an amazing job BTW), Pro Tuning Freaks, that took me to approximately +42% over stock WHP. Gaining 25% over the control.

Finally when loading in By Design's custom map, that took me 44% WHP over stock, 2% over the pervious custom tune.
However, what's very important to mention is the curve from 3300 rpm through to 5700 for both WHP and WTQ. With Sam's tune the curve expands over the previous custom tune, delivering 4% to 5% more power in that lower RPM band, without sacrificing top end peak WHP and WTQ.

Well done Sam!

more to come...

Old 08-02-2019, 09:10 PM
Boosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond reputeBoosted TTS has a reputation beyond repute
Can’t go wrong with Team By Design!