997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Porsche misses the boat

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 07:10 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TonicwaterTommy
Don't get me wrong, I want to love the 997TT too. I spent months trying to convince myself I loved the way it looked. Performance is not the issue, it has that hands down. The problem is clear in this picture; which car is not in the 21st century? Yes retro is in, but not in supercars. Ask yourself , which car would you want to park in your driveway and detail out week after week. How many of us dated the plain girlfriend of the hot chick? How many of us married the average looking girl who was great at sports? In todays world you must have performance and looks. If porsche doesn't realize this soon, they too will be assimilated by Ford.........resistance is futile.
I think maybe a base 996 or maybe 997tt, but out of all of those cars they each are interesting and hot looking, just because we dont see many of the other cars doesnt mean they are gorgeous or ahead of the game. Every design gets plain and boring if you see too many!

Old 09-09-2006, 07:12 PM
Kevin034 is on a distinguished road
whatever. 997TT > Every POS cars (Ferrari, Lambo, whatever) out there.

Old 09-09-2006, 07:13 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Kevin034
whatever. 997TT > Every POS cars (Ferrari, Lambo, whatever) out there.
Lamorghini/Ferrari = POS cars?!?!?!

Old 09-11-2006, 10:07 AM
Shark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really nice
Originally Posted by nberry
Like your love for Porsche's, your opinion of Ferrari''s is passe. Starting with the 360 and now the 430 Ferrari's can be used as everyday cars. Would I use my 2006 430 (which has over 5000 miles on it) as an everyday car? NO!

Everyday cars should be comfortable, efficient to drive and roomy. Why would anyone in their right mind drive a high performance sport car to work? The whole point of a sport car was to serve as a diversion from day to day driving tedium.
Nope, according to FChat, the newer cars are just as fragile, and people that drive the cars are frowned upon.

The real shame of your post is your claim that great cars should be "saved" for the weekend. We only get a precious short time in life, yet you state that a drive to work is tedious and boring. Thats a shame because I have a great drive EVERY DAY in my Arabelle. And yes, she is comfortable, efficient to drive, and roomy enough for a family man.

And because Ferraris are obviously not comfortable, efficient to drive, and roomy per your own assertion, your whole argument that a Ferrari can be a daily driver just fell to crap.

I hope for your client's sake you argue a point in court more effectively than your weak response here

Old 09-11-2006, 11:07 AM
BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !
If I had a car that I owned and cant drive it any time during the year besides when its snowing what would be the point of having it, just to look at????
I made that mistake with my GT2 and always saving it for the "perdect time and day" ...... screw that never again I said. If I would have thought that way awhile ago she would still be here with me but instead I got tired of having a garage queen and got rid of her.
As far as looks are concerned and the striking visiual pose of cars, put a F430 next to a 997TT and honestly say that the F430 is not sexier and more menacing looking, I AM BASING THIS ON LOOKS ALONE AND NOT PERFORMANCE RATING OF ANY KIND. I am not a big Ferrari fan for other reasons but their styling is EXOTIC!

Bajo

Old 09-11-2006, 11:17 AM
jlingk will become famous soon enough
I'm on your side. I just want to see more diversity from the porsche nameplate.
My apologies. I am just unable to understand why someone would buy a car only if it impressed other people when they see you in it.

This, in my opinion is one of the real negatives of high end sports car ownership and one of the reasons why many people who drive them for (gasp) the actual driving challenge and experience get negatively stereotyped.

I think Porsche, out of all the performance oriented car manufacturers, places the least amount of emphasis on flash and the most on sheer driving experience and engineering excellence.

The Carrera design also stays in close contact with its lineage and heritage which, as an enthusiast, is far more important to me than whether or not I turn heads in town or whether my wife can tell the difference between models.

This argument has no winner or consensus. never will. to each his own.

Last edited by jlingk; 09-11-2006 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:49 AM
nberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to beholdnberry is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Shark01
Nope, according to FChat, the newer cars are just as fragile, and people that drive the cars are frowned upon.

The real shame of your post is your claim that great cars should be "saved" for the weekend. We only get a precious short time in life, yet you state that a drive to work is tedious and boring. Thats a shame because I have a great drive EVERY DAY in my Arabelle. And yes, she is comfortable, efficient to drive, and roomy enough for a family man.

And because Ferraris are obviously not comfortable, efficient to drive, and roomy per your own assertion, your whole argument that a Ferrari can be a daily driver just fell to crap.

I hope for your client's sake you argue a point in court more effectively than your weak response here
Sorry Sharky that dog wouldn't hunt. We were discussing reliability for daily use. Totally different than being practical for daily use. Nice try.

Old 09-11-2006, 01:28 PM
Banned
allanlambo has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I dunno, maybe its just me, but my opinion is WHY would anyone want to use any of these cars as a daily driver. For me, I dont care if its a Porsche, a lambo etc, I dont want to see cracked windows, door dings, road rash on a car I love. When Im in traffic I dont want to be shifting gears. I wanna just cruise, I wanna park anywhere. I dont want to worry everytime I go out that there might be a hail storm and my car gets all screwed up.

Also, I think if you use something everyday, it dilutes the feelings you get from it. It gets less special. Versus as the week goes on, and you look forward to that special drive, it makes it all much more special. Plus, when you are out and about daily, thats when your thinking about other things, work, cell phone calls, etc, why would you wanna have the worry of your car also?

Buy a Benz, Bentley, Corrolla whatever. Those are daily drivers, park em anywhere, someone pisses you off, smash it into them, then go home and get into your fun car.

Old 09-11-2006, 01:48 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by BBGT2
If I had a car that I owned and cant drive it any time during the year besides when its snowing what would be the point of having it, just to look at????
I made that mistake with my GT2 and always saving it for the "perdect time and day" ...... screw that never again I said. If I would have thought that way awhile ago she would still be here with me but instead I got tired of having a garage queen and got rid of her.
As far as looks are concerned and the striking visiual pose of cars, put a F430 next to a 997TT and honestly say that the F430 is not sexier and more menacing looking, I AM BASING THIS ON LOOKS ALONE AND NOT PERFORMANCE RATING OF ANY KIND. I am not a big Ferrari fan for other reasons but their styling is EXOTIC!

Bajo
I agree! I think if you put a 997TT and a 430 next to each other, i wouldnt say the 430 was sexier or more menacing, I would give those descriptions to the 997TT as well.

Old 09-11-2006, 02:01 PM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
I agree. After months of waiting, I decided to cancel my order and go with the car that I know is more me. I bought a 2006 Dodge Viper SRT-10 for invoice! and saved 40k in the process. It just didn't make sense to buy a car that needed a new exhaust, aero kit, interior upgrades and wheels to make it suit my taste. I love porsche , and the performance. But it looks like a car your wife would bring home groceries in. It just doesn't stir me. I love the CGT but just can't justify the price. I wanted a commited sports car with real sports car sound. And the Viper is bad to the bone!! When I test drove it, I fell in love. It's raw, loud, attention getting and fast as hell even from 80mph and up! I can't go any where without people turning heads and asking me about it. Within the first week everbody at work knew my name , people I had never met! Everyone says it's the best looking car they have ever seen. I can't wipe the smile off my face or stop driving it. I will watch what porsche does with the styling in the future, but for now I can't imagine driving anything else.
I took a long look at the Viper coupe, but I just couldn't get over the seam going across the roof line just above the windshield. It seems like they just slapped a roof on the convertible. For 80 grand, it is a beautiful car, but Dodge is planning on introducing an improved 650 hp model in '08. So I thought for now, a Gt2 should do the job. Curious to see how the '08 will perform.

Old 09-11-2006, 02:14 PM
Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !
Porsche is the "epitome" of what a sportscar is all about.

You can drive it everyday, beat the hell out of it and it will last for 150k miles and more without costing you a fortune. Show me an Italian that you can do that with moreless a domestic..

Christian

Old 09-11-2006, 02:29 PM
TUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant future
I'm starting to warm up to the 997 TT...I'm beginning to remember why I was drawn to the brand...understated, no flash, huge performance capabilities, intense reliability, purpose built, etc...it's the speak softly and carry a big stick mentality...

Old 09-11-2006, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by allanlambo
I dunno, maybe its just me, but my opinion is WHY would anyone want to use any of these cars as a daily driver. For me, I dont care if its a Porsche, a lambo etc, I dont want to see cracked windows, door dings, road rash on a car I love. When Im in traffic I dont want to be shifting gears. I wanna just cruise, I wanna park anywhere. I dont want to worry everytime I go out that there might be a hail storm and my car gets all screwed up.

Also, I think if you use something everyday, it dilutes the feelings you get from it. It gets less special. Versus as the week goes on, and you look forward to that special drive, it makes it all much more special. Plus, when you are out and about daily, thats when your thinking about other things, work, cell phone calls, etc, why would you wanna have the worry of your car also?

Buy a Benz, Bentley, Corrolla whatever. Those are daily drivers, park em anywhere, someone pisses you off, smash it into them, then go home and get into your fun car.
Allan have to tell ya man, your dead on with the way i feel , and even with a few things i mentioned in my previous post. Sure we might be some of the only one's who feel this way, but i also get bored easily! I rather drive my G35 to work, through traffic and on a daily basis where i have to get stuff done or go to places, not for joy! I use to drive my M3 and Porsche like that when i first got it, then realized its puts a beating on the car, im also very particular so kind of cut the driving time down to taking it out for enjoyment rather than errands, that's just me!

Also not driving it everyday or alot during the week makes it feel alot more special, hard to explain but now i appreciate each of my cars so much more then ever, because i use them how they should be used, opposed to people who use a luxury or non sports car for that and are dissapointed when they find the real thing, and when they use their sports or weekend car too much and realize the same thing!

Old 09-11-2006, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by Christian
Porsche is the "epitome" of what a sportscar is all about.

You can drive it everyday, beat the hell out of it and it will last for 150k miles and more without costing you a fortune. Show me an Italian that you can do that with moreless a domestic..

Christian
Im confused, but the way you said epitome describing porsche in general, kind of meant it in a bad way lol! So are you saying since it is multi-purposed it isnt a sports car?

Old 09-11-2006, 03:58 PM
Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !
I mean it is a statement of what a sportscar is. It's been an evolution for 30 years.

Christian

Originally Posted by iLLM3
Im confused, but the way you said epitome describing porsche in general, kind of meant it in a bad way lol! So are you saying since it is multi-purposed it isnt a sports car?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porsche misses the boat