997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

First drive: 997TT ECU

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 10:56 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 951porsche
His marketings skill are atrocious however, imho. I mean if you know you don't have talent in such things at least admit it and get someone that does have it. Looking that the website for Promotive( on geocities! A mid 90's blast from the past!) and a forum (Some free thing that keeps trying to push pop-ups on me?) I'd have serious reservations about having that company tune any 100k+ car.
spoke to todd about this... and he refused to market his company via web page... he told me that he along a number of P car tuners a couple of years ago have been contacted by Porsche lawyers preventing them from using any P car images...
I even offered to do the site.
Todd does not need marketing skills... he says that eventually someone that is serious about his car will find him.... they are NOT big business with OFF the shelf products and or third party software/ and or parts on sale...
different philosophy and different approach.
He is probably the only one in this country that designs, fabricates, CnCs, tunes, etc - he does it all... one car at a time...
How many "tuners" on this board actually tune the motronic 996TT in house.. better yet how many tuners can offer a custom tune specific to ur car for the price of a OFF the shelf program?
Nothing to take away from others.. I had 3 other tuners in my car.. so I know from experience.
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 10-22-2006, 11:00 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
My personal take is if he doesn't want to host a proper site then he should take down the current one, it makes Promotive look like a joke in the day and age......

Must admit that website is awful!

Old 10-22-2006, 11:13 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
I know about Todds reputation from tuning in the early motronic days and he seems competent to me.

His marketings skill are atrocious however, imho. I mean if you know you don't have talent in such things at least admit it and get someone that does have it. Looking that the website for Promotive( on geocities! A mid 90's blast from the past!) and a forum (Some free thing that keeps trying to push pop-ups on me?) I'd have serious reservations about having that company tune any 100k+ car.

This perhaps explains why they also don't sponsor here, a great outlet of potential customers that even has happy customer onsite. Honestly someone should really talk to Todd about this, I'm all for being frugal, but when you're making 1000's of dollars selling people 1s and 0's how can you NOT spend a little to make your product look professional.
Some of the worst (and best) Vendor/tuners have the best looking flashy websites. My personal take is if he doesn't want to host a proper site then he should take down the current one, it makes Promotive look like a joke in the day and age......
I felt EXACTLY the same way as you, and quite frankly made exactly the same argument as you a few years ago. I couldn't get over the old-school web site.

4 years later, my view of Protomotive has done a 180' reversal. Todd K is the real deal in a very big way. Some people, unlike myself, are not interested in leveraging their business for maximum sales growth and continually expanding margins. Some are in it for the love of it, not to be the biggest and make the most money at it. Different strokes. Don't let the cheesey web site formulate your opinion. A few years ago when I was shopping for a direction, the only proponent for Protomotive I was aware of was Tyson and his blue beast he bought from Wilber. Now there are several members with Protomotive product. It should be much easier these days to get a feel for what Todd K is up to.

Old 10-22-2006, 11:14 PM
Phoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant future
Markski,

Thanks for the info about Protmotive's website.

Old 10-22-2006, 11:23 PM
treynor has a spectacular aura abouttreynor has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ShankLMR
Hmmm keep progressing with this, and I'll have no choice to pick one up. Treynor, plan on getting some 1/4 runs in with that?
Shank
But of course ... I need to establish a baseline before the *real* modifications begin

Old 10-22-2006, 11:26 PM
justdumb will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by wross996TT
Must admit that website is awful!
I disagree.

"862hp @ 1.327 bar 996TT" and Todd Knighton's contact info are all I need to know.

Old 10-23-2006, 12:08 AM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by F**K
I disagree.

"862hp @ 1.327 bar 996TT" and Todd Knighton's contact info are all I need to know.
LOL. Yes thats very true. Those numbers seem to certainly do the trick.

Old 10-23-2006, 12:49 AM
BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !
Todd is in a totally different area of expertise, like Markski said. He loves what he does and does it VERY well, answers his email every time and when you call him he answers the phone. His stuff is custom tailored. When I did my GT2 with him he asked me "what I want out of it" and told me a price which was unbeliavable to me and he delivered.
As far as his website is concerned, yeah its not the flashiest but then again I didnt go to him because of his website ir his "marketin skills" I went because of his technical knowledge and ability to deal strictly with him and not some kid answering the phone while on break from school.
I have a auto repair business and do not advertise, nor have a website, never have, maybe I will get to it in the future. ALL my business has been by "word of mouth" and thats the way I like it. Hell I dont think I am even in the Yellow Pages, LOL. And it does pretty damn good for me thru the years.

Bajo

Old 10-23-2006, 05:26 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Phoenix
Markski,

Thanks for the info about Protmotive's website.
No problem.

click to view

Old 10-23-2006, 05:47 AM
RCNJ is on a distinguished road
Anyone interested in getting this software in the Tristate area, I recommend PROTOSPORT in Pompton Plains, NJ. John and Paul did the k24/18g conversion on my GT2 and I am extremely happy with their work and customer attention. They have the ECU programmer on site. So you can literally go in and leave with 500 awhp probably within an hour or two. No waiting for shipping!

Raudel

Old 10-23-2006, 05:49 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by RCNJ
Anyone interested in getting this software in the Tristate area, I recommend PROTOSPORT in Pompton Plains, NJ. John and Paul did the k24/18g conversion on my GT2 and I am extremely happy with their work and customer attention. They have the ECU programmer on site. So you can literally go in and leave with 500 awhp probably within an hour or two. No waiting for shipping!

Raudel
Are you the one who raced against Viperrossa last sunday? I helped William get his k24/18g.. he loves it

click to view

Old 10-23-2006, 10:06 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by F**K
I disagree.

You miss my point entirely. I have nothing but props for Todd. My comment was strictly about the website (whether he wants it or not it is out there). If you thnk it is good you are out to lunch and I don't want you doing my web design

Old 10-23-2006, 10:52 AM
Porscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of lightPorscheboy16 is a glorious beacon of light
Whenever I pick u a 996TT or 997TT it is going to Proto for the work.

If you want to know true customer service, just shoot him an email. I wrote ane email conerning tuning of my 3.2 (while stating that I was at least 2 yrs away at the minimum due to budget constraints), and he treated me like I was a king (997TT owner) with detailed messages about all that he had to offer.

Old 10-23-2006, 04:58 PM
Tony007 is a glorious beacon of lightTony007 is a glorious beacon of lightTony007 is a glorious beacon of lightTony007 is a glorious beacon of lightTony007 is a glorious beacon of lightTony007 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by treynor
I popped out to fill the tank with 100 octane, engaged sport mode, found an open stretch of road, and put the pedal down. Two words now come to mind: Good Lord!
Does this ECU file require the use of 100 octane petrol or does it work with 93?

Old 10-23-2006, 05:14 PM
BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !BBGT2 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tony007
Does this ECU file require the use of 100 octane petrol or does it work with 93?
It will work with 91/93 octane as well, of course the same power output cannot be expected as with the 100 octane.

Bajo

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First drive: 997TT ECU