997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

will the new Skyline be a Porsche eater?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 10:46 PM
hesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nice
will the new Skyline be a Porsche eater?

most people on this board have heard of Nissan's legendary Skyline GT-R. Few that reside in America or Germany will have first hand experience of the GT-R, because the car was never made in LHD configuration, and while there are pretty good conversions out there, this was always going to limit the car's presence in LHD markets. Those that do know the Skyline well will tell you that Japan's "godzilla" is not a car to be taken lightly. How can you, when:

- the first GT-R (R32) humbled Porsche's 928 at the 'Nurburgring all those years back when it was launched, and was celebrated as having the most sophisticated suspension/AWD system of any production car

- the next gen GT-R (R33) was the first production car to crack 8 mins at the 'Ring, beating Porsche in its own backyard

- the old 2.6 liter twin turbo that has been in every Skyline since the R32 probably has more tuning potential than virtually anything else out there. we have all regularly heard of 1,000+ HP motors lurking underneath the hoods (or bonnets) of these cars.

- the Veilside tuned Skyline did the 0-300kmh run in less than 14 seconds. A Bugatti Veyron needs 17-18 seconds to do the same thing.

... and the list goes on...

And now Nissan is bringing the next generation to the US finally.

Ok, so it WON'T be using the old RB26DETT engine (the motor has been killed off because it no longer meets new emissions regulations,) and insiders expect that the new V6 will NOT have the ridiculous tuning potential of the old motor. But with the Japanese automakers lifting of the voluntary 280HP restriction, we should see the next gen "Godzilla" mixing it up with American and European manufacturers on more equal (HP) grounds. The new car-- as has been reported by virtually ever magazine and internet auto site-- will have around 450-480HP, paddleshift tranny, and has set the 911 Turbo as its target.

Stock to stock, the comparison with the "establishment"-- the Turbo, the Z06, the F430, the Gallardo, etc, will be interesting. But not as interesting I think, as once people start tuning.

With the car now officially imported into both Germany and the US, I expect a flood of tuners starting to work their magic on the new Skyline pretty quickly. And competition improves the breed. Prior to the US introduction of the Mitsubishi Evo, Evo tuning in Japan and Europe had gotten to a pretty high state. But we only really saw absolutely bonkers displays of power once the car found its way to US soil, and guys like AMS started to routinely extract upwards of 600HP from the old 4G63T. I can't wait to see what folk will do with the new Skyline. And i'm not talking just about the 1/4 mile. Guys like XS Engineering for instance, emphasize the overall package, so handling will be just as important as outright grunt.

I'm sure we'll get the usual litany of "it has a Japanese interior and doesn't have the solidity of a Porsche / soul of a Ferrari / exclusivity of a Lambo / big lump torque of a 'Vette/Viper" etc etc... That's fine, we all have our biases and preferences.

Putting all that aside though, in two years' time, once the new Skylines are prowling the street, will 911 Turbo/GT2 drivers pull up alongside Skylines at the stoplight, or on the freeway, or even at the track and ask themselves "do I feel lucky today"?

here's a video of the new car testing at the 'Ring: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvDw47ZOFcM

(Disclaimer: I have never owned a Skyline. But have always been a HUGE fan)

Old 10-27-2006, 10:55 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by hesperus
most people on this board have heard of Nissan's legendary Skyline GT-R. Few that reside in America or Germany will have first hand experience of the GT-R, because the car was never made in LHD configuration, and while there are pretty good conversions out there, this was always going to limit the car's presence in LHD markets. Those that do know the Skyline well will tell you that Japan's "godzilla" is not a car to be taken lightly. How can you, when:

- the first GT-R (R32) humbled Porsche's 928 at the 'Nurburgring all those years back when it was launched, and was celebrated as having the most sophisticated suspension/AWD system of any production car

- the next gen GT-R (R33) was the first production car to crack 8 mins at the 'Ring, beating Porsche in its own backyard

- the old 2.6 liter twin turbo that has been in every Skyline since the R32 probably has more tuning potential than virtually anything else out there. we have all regularly heard of 1,000+ HP motors lurking underneath the hoods (or bonnets) of these cars.

- the Veilside tuned Skyline did the 0-300kmh run in less than 14 seconds. A Bugatti Veyron needs 17-18 seconds to do the same thing.

... and the list goes on...

And now Nissan is bringing the next generation to the US finally.

Ok, so it WON'T be using the old RB26DETT engine (the motor has been killed off because it no longer meets new emissions regulations,) and insiders expect that the new V6 will NOT have the ridiculous tuning potential of the old motor. But with the Japanese automakers lifting of the voluntary 280HP restriction, we should see the next gen "Godzilla" mixing it up with American and European manufacturers on more equal (HP) grounds. The new car-- as has been reported by virtually ever magazine and internet auto site-- will have around 450-480HP, paddleshift tranny, and has set the 911 Turbo as its target.

Stock to stock, the comparison with the "establishment"-- the Turbo, the Z06, the F430, the Gallardo, etc, will be interesting. But not as interesting I think, as once people start tuning.

With the car now officially imported into both Germany and the US, I expect a flood of tuners starting to work their magic on the new Skyline pretty quickly. And competition improves the breed. Prior to the US introduction of the Mitsubishi Evo, Evo tuning in Japan and Europe had gotten to a pretty high state. But we only really saw absolutely bonkers displays of power once the car found its way to US soil, and guys like AMS started to routinely extract upwards of 600HP from the old 4G63T. I can't wait to see what folk will do with the new Skyline. And i'm not talking just about the 1/4 mile. Guys like XS Engineering for instance, emphasize the overall package, so handling will be just as important as outright grunt.

I'm sure we'll get the usual litany of "it has a Japanese interior and doesn't have the solidity of a Porsche / soul of a Ferrari / exclusivity of a Lambo / big lump torque of a 'Vette/Viper" etc etc... That's fine, we all have our biases and preferences.

Putting all that aside though, in two years' time, once the new Skylines are prowling the street, will 911 Turbo/GT2 drivers pull up alongside Skylines at the stoplight, or on the freeway, or even at the track and ask themselves "do I feel lucky today"?

here's a video of the new car testing at the 'Ring: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvDw47ZOFcM

(Disclaimer: I have never owned a Skyline. But have always been a HUGE fan)
GREAT POST MAN! i think the gt-r is going to be a beast and a half. these cars are going to send shockwaves through the tuning world IMO because of all the potential(albeit not as much as the old engine) they will have. but remember, someone will find a way and with enough money, anything is possible. it makes sense that they would gun for the 997TT, still the benchmark in that catagory.

Old 10-27-2006, 10:56 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
is the veilside skyline the z tune that did 0-186 mph in under 14 sec? thats amazingly fast.

Old 10-27-2006, 11:05 PM
hesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nicehesperus is just really nice
Originally Posted by PorscheC4
is the veilside skyline the z tune that did 0-186 mph in under 14 sec? thats amazingly fast.
i'm not sure... i have a video of it here on my hard drive somewhere, from way back. i believe it was an R32, and built specifically for some GT-R tuner challenge in Japan to see who could build the quickest car from 0-300kmh.

so yes, its a built car with a rather narrow focus (probably has a turbo the size of nagoya that would mean its a pig around a track,) but still-- by any metric, undercutting the Veyron from 0-300kmy by 4 seconds is a feat!!!

i'm probably wrong but I can't think of any 911 Turbo based cars that get close!

Old 10-27-2006, 11:09 PM
i'm not sure... i have a video of it here on my hard drive somewhere, from way back. i believe it was an R32, and built specifically for some GT-R tuner challenge in Japan to see who could build the quickest car from 0-300kmh.

so yes, its a built car with a rather narrow focus (probably has a turbo the size of nagoya that would mean its a pig around a track,) but still-- by any metric, undercutting the Veyron from 0-300kmy by 4 seconds is a feat!!!

i'm probably wrong but I can't think of any 911 Turbo based cars that get close!
Im sure VRAlex's protomotive would have something to say about that. his car i would imagine runs that if not better.

Old 10-27-2006, 11:37 PM
ZLP
ZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud of

Eddie Bello's Porsche was less of a racecar than the Veilside skyline and did 0-300kmh in 10 seconds. You can mod anything to be fast...

Old 10-27-2006, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by ZLP
Eddie Bello's Porsche was less of a racecar than the Veilside skyline and did 0-300kmh in 10 seconds. You can mod anything to be fast...
I remember hearing about that MONSTER! that thing is so sick! was it street legal?

Old 10-27-2006, 11:41 PM
Originally Posted by ZLP
You can mod anything to be fast...
Exactly what i said, with time and most importantly, money, anything can be made ridiculously fast, although some cars are easier to do it with than others.

Old 10-28-2006, 12:25 AM
2K7997TT is a jewel in the rough2K7997TT is a jewel in the rough2K7997TT is a jewel in the rough
Great Post.

The GT-R will be an exciting car. The 'vette lovers should take note...Nissan will produce a world class performer WITH a nice interior and reliability for under 80K. I welcome comparisons between the GT-R and the 997TT. Unlike the Camaros, Cobras, and 'Vettes, the GT-R is a finely engineered machine that deserves recognition beside the Ferraris, Lambos, and Porsches.

Old 10-28-2006, 12:35 AM
Originally Posted by ZLP
ok, you guys are absolutely right... i suppose even Civics can be made into 9 second cars, so that doesn't really prove much.

so lets take a step back and talk about all-rounders-- both stock and tuned-- but good for daily driving (or close to it) and adept at both the track or the strip. there are tuned skylines that are great at this, as there are tuned porsches great at this. i reckon the new skyline will be pretty good all-rounder.

Old 10-28-2006, 01:07 AM
ZLP
ZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud ofZLP has much to be proud of
ok, you guys are absolutely right... i suppose even Civics can be made into 9 second cars, so that doesn't really prove much.

so lets take a step back and talk about all-rounders-- both stock and tuned-- but good for daily driving (or close to it) and adept at both the track or the strip. there are tuned skylines that are great at this, as there are tuned porsches great at this. i reckon the new skyline will be pretty good all-rounder.
I agree. I think we are just entering the next level of sports cars with the new 997 twin, Z06, Toyota's upcoming sportscar, Skyline, etc and the performance bar has been raised so much in the last few years that new cars will no doubt be screamers. The old skyline was and the new one will be as well.

Old 10-28-2006, 01:10 AM
ZLP
Originally Posted by PorscheC4
I remember hearing about that MONSTER! that thing is so sick! was it street legal?
Yes, when his car was "only" doing high 9's he would drive it to and from the track(even tracks a few hundred miles away)!!! The car never ran on slicks, only street drag radials. If you look, the plate is still on the front of the car. That car's best was an 8.9@171 on drag radials.

Old 10-28-2006, 02:05 AM
Me_qwkr will become famous soon enough
The Veilside R34 isnt considered the fastest skyline. The R33 from Jun broke the bonville record. Then the Blitz R34 held the Nur record till people started to tune the 996....

New GT-R has one purpose only. To beat the 997TT and do it for half the price. Thats it... The tuning of the car will be HUGE... Reason being is the Skyline has a heritage in japan like no other car found on the planet. There is an old 70's model that there is only one of state side. Reason being is the emporer (spelling?) only use to drive it. The skyline in japan is the ferrari of italy, the turbo for germany and the corvette of the US. So just like those cars there will be massive tuning. The video i have seen shows some sick exhaust, and knowing Nissan they are running some GT25 turbo's or something. That means the only thing is in question is the block. The new VQ3.5 sucks. If you track a 3.5 with a turbo or supercharger setup you know that they are not reliable. So the question is this?

Did nissan put the JGTC 3.0 VQ or they putting in a 3.8 VQ... IF its the 3.8 modding will be very limited i believe. Reason being is the block wont be able to produce the 1000+ numbers of the old RB... But BOYS AND GIRLS dont worry.. Your boy Rob here... Who knows more about skylines then Nissan does. Will tell you this. RB swap into new GTR= TURBO KILLER...

HEHE

Old 10-28-2006, 06:43 AM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
I have seen the recent pictures of the car and I think it has a very agressive stance (i.e. the BMW M3) meaning that it would not have to be lowered at all. This is my one beef with today's P cars...they just sit too damn high (in stock form) for my liking. The stock rims on the GTR look great (I believe they are 20's). I prefer 19's but we shall see when it hits the streets. The only thing that I am a little leary of is the headlight design falling down into the front bonnet/bumper......although even that is slowly growing on me.

I do not know much at all about previous Skylines other than what I read on the Forums. This new GTR (or Skyline....whatever it will be called) looks pretty damn intriguing to me.

Old 10-28-2006, 07:33 AM
cooperlee will become famous soon enough
two completely different type of beast!!! I would much rather compare the new Skyline to the new NSX!!!!!!!!!!! 997tt is in its own league even though it may get walked on by the above...who really gives a S()*^)*^&*^,...hahahahahha ;-)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: will the new Skyline be a Porsche eater?