997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

AWE exhaust installed - photos and impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 10:12 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Just another FYI for those on the fence about doing an exhaust - my wife (who is exceptionally perceptive about my car modding sickness and can sniff out a mere micron of added carbon fiber) drove the turbo for the entire day yesterday and did not notice anything unusual or objectionable. That is how much the exhaust is in the character of the car.

Old 03-06-2007, 02:52 PM
RODNEY996 is on a distinguished road
great job!... i know how it feels to break a stubborn bolt... pain in the a$$

Old 03-06-2007, 04:17 PM
fredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond reputefredttx50 has a reputation beyond repute
Fantastic write up!!!!!!!

Old 03-07-2007, 01:54 AM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Super you showed the real world on installing the muffler. AWE says there is no need to remove bumper. However, looking at the many problems you had, and the possible threat that Porsche may not warranty an engine problem, I am beginning to wonder if it is worth the $4K for the system plus installation fee. Seems like for so much trouble and expense, there is not that much to be gained. Don't know will keep thinking. however. Hell getting a chip will give the car much more HP and you can remove it easily if there happens to be engine problems that need warranty repair.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:00 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
I did the exhaust having already decided to do both the exhaust and ECU. The improvement in throttle response with just the exhaust was in my mind a significant change. I also was dissatisfied enough with the stock exhaust note to make the endeavor worthwhile.

The gist is though from my adventure it is pretty clear how easy it would be to go stage III or IV from where I was. In fact doing the intercoolers would have only added about 10 minutes of time, the headers perhaps an hour.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:48 AM
Sker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of lightSker66 is a glorious beacon of light
Nice that you shared and great looking garage!

Old 12-27-2007, 02:31 PM
Banned
Maciej@RPM is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by raclaims
Wow...there is no way I would ever have the ***** to do that myself...nice work.
Thats why you just call me

Old 12-27-2007, 02:46 PM
alin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud of
Wow...what a fantastic write up. I wish I had the aptitude and skill to do something like this .

I was waiting for the Europipe "quiet" version for the 997TT, but maybe I should just get the AWE...Hmmmm....

Old 12-27-2007, 04:28 PM
The deep rumble at idle of the AWE exhaust borders on Satanic. It is a very powerful note that is not obnoxious, but definitely lets its presence be known.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:27 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by eclou
The deep rumble at idle of the AWE exhaust borders on Satanic. It is a very powerful note that is not obnoxious, but definitely lets its presence be known.
Great write up and great job on the DYI install. Did you look at other exhaust options before deciding on the AWE system? What made you go with AWE?

Old 12-27-2007, 09:47 PM
Their video showed how they produce their own product in house and was very well done. The attention to detail convinced me.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:31 AM
crd
crd is an unknown quantity at this point
I've ordered my set from Mike. (I am such a sucker for a sale - couldn't justify any further delay in this upgrade, with the addition of free tips). Production is a bit behind, probably ready for delivery in another week or two. I'm going to try to make the swap myself with the help of my son. Thanks for the detailed run-through of your project. I will refer to your post when the time comes.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:36 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by crd
I've ordered my set from Mike. (I am such a sucker for a sale - couldn't justify any further delay in this upgrade, with the addition of free tips). Production is a bit behind, probably ready for delivery in another week or two. I'm going to try to make the swap myself with the help of my son. Thanks for the detailed run-through of your project. I will refer to your post when the time comes.
Ken-

Update.

Exhaust is done. Just waiting on more tips.

I will be in touch.

Old 12-28-2007, 01:42 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Having done the job myself twice, it's a 3hr 'skin to skin' job with an extra set of hands(4-5hrs solo) without removing bumpers/intercoolers, etc. It makes access easier, but not necessary. I'm about to put the FS quiets back on my car, I'll post a writeup/pics without bumper/Ic removal.
Nice job none the less.
C

Old 12-28-2007, 05:01 PM
WyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud of
I have the AWE on my 996TT and love it. The only thing I would add to your TIY tips is (this what I did), soak the exhaust bolts with Liquid Wrench, or something equal, the day before, allowing them to soak overnite. I did this, and the nuts came off flawlessly.
Congrats and enjoy

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AWE exhaust installed - photos and impressions