997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

AWE exhaust installed - photos and impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 06:33 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
I soaked with PB Blaster, and heated with a propane torch. The studs still protested. By contrast, I just put cat bypass pipes on my 993tt and there was no fuss from the studs and nuts that are now 10 years old.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:01 AM
eyesurg is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Having done the job myself twice, it's a 3hr 'skin to skin' job with an extra set of hands(4-5hrs solo) without removing bumpers/intercoolers, etc. It makes access easier, but not necessary. I'm about to put the FS quiets back on my car, I'll post a writeup/pics without bumper/Ic removal.
Nice job none the less.
C
That would be great. I plan on doing the job myself as soon as my car arrives in early Apr.
hal

Old 12-29-2007, 10:57 AM
M-Funf is on a distinguished road
F. Have professional mechanic install exhaust.

sweet system and garage

Old 12-30-2007, 09:41 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
But, that takes all the fun out of it!

Old 12-30-2007, 09:52 PM
drjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the rough
eugene....nice install and hopefully see you at the track next time....

also time for a lift in the garage too

Old 12-30-2007, 10:24 PM
motorhead is on a distinguished road
Nice job, informative

Old 12-31-2007, 04:02 AM
996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about
nice writeup and pics - awesome to see!

Old 12-31-2007, 06:44 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
But, that takes all the fun out of it!
When I broke the easy-out off inside the broken turbine stud at 3:30am, "fun" was not the word that came to mind

Old 12-31-2007, 06:51 AM
Originally Posted by drjoe
also time for a lift in the garage too
Funny you should mention that. This is what I want

Old 12-31-2007, 10:00 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by alin2
Wow...what a fantastic write up. I wish I had the aptitude and skill to do something like this .

I was waiting for the Europipe "quiet" version for the 997TT, but maybe I should just get the AWE...Hmmmm....
Great write-up Gene. I've done engine work on my motorcycles including using an easy out but I've never had enough confidence in my skills to work under the P-car.

Alin2 - I had the Europipe installed for me. You might be waiting a long time for a "quiet" version - the version offered now is great sounding, not too loud at all and no interior resonance. If I remember on the 996TT, Europipe offered a quiet version for the 996 GT2.

The install instructions from Europipe were great - pictures provided for each step. They did have the rear bumper removed but left the intercoolers on. The tech who did this for me said it was an easy install with everything matching up perfectly.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:23 AM
alin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Alin2 - I had the Europipe installed for me. You might be waiting a long time for a "quiet" version - the version offered now is great sounding, not too loud at all and no interior resonance. If I remember on the 996TT, Europipe offered a quiet version for the 996 GT2.

The install instructions from Europipe were great - pictures provided for each step. They did have the rear bumper removed but left the intercoolers on. The tech who did this for me said it was an easy install with everything matching up perfectly.
Yeah...I figured since I emailed Stef almost 2 months ago regarding a "quiet" version. And, he stated that it was several months away.

IIRC, you posted a great thread with install pics. Thanks for that.

I just have to be careful re: a new exhaust since my neighborhood is kinda uptight regarding noise. I really want the improved breathing and throttle response with a deeper rumble but not a huge increase in volume.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:56 AM
gradyex will become famous soon enoughgradyex will become famous soon enough
Nice write up Ecolu, you seem to be the go to guy for do it yourselfers. i am printing this out just in case I deceide to do my own install when the time comes (everything but a front strut brace is bone stock on my car so far). My first mod will be suspension work (possibly coil overs because of my driveway height problem). They are at least adjustable and for someone who can't go down too far they might be the way to go. For the exhaust its a toss btw AWE and fabspeed and I am still leaning to AWE because from the audio clips its sounds closest to a stock air cooled Porsche (like the 993 you mentioned). The stock exhaust is a tad quiet but it sounds like a Porsche to me if you know what I mean so for now I can live with it. Finally i need to flash the computer and take advantage of several options like 91 octane (for California crap fuel) setting (the factory sets it at 93), 100 octane race fuel, etc. I plan to sign up for some autocross fun at our local Golden Gate region Porsche Club. Anyhow thanks for the nice write up i haven't been on the boards for awhile. Have a happy 2008 everyone!

Old 10-26-2008, 11:54 AM
2008911tt is on a distinguished road
Great write up and very helpful.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:34 AM
Linko4 has a spectacular aura aboutLinko4 has a spectacular aura aboutLinko4 has a spectacular aura about
dyno yet?

Old 12-10-2008, 11:03 AM
GEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of lightGEE-BEE is a glorious beacon of light
Turbo Stud's and hardware

We need to find a supplier for econel stud for these turbo ?

I have done this install twice, I always have six extra studs ( dealer )and the new nuts are hight temp copper self locking type.

Econel is used in the Turbine or turbo application in the aircraft industry

With spec's of these I will get some info.

Gee-Bee

P.S. I usally spend more time cleaning under there ( bumper removal ) then I do anything else..

One day I spent six hours pulling the 550 turbo out of my aircraft to clean and polish the engine compartment...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AWE exhaust installed - photos and impressions