997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Does GIAC ECU make Sport Chrono Useless?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 08:03 AM
KJM3 is on a distinguished road
Does GIAC ECU make Sport Chrono Useless?

I'm thinking of ordering a 997 Turbo and I know that I will get a GIAC ECU for sure. If that's the case, is ordering the Sport Chrono package useless?

Thanks,
KJ

Old 05-12-2007, 09:02 AM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Interesting Q. I suspect they could have doen the programing to be in "Sports mode" all the time, even for non-Sports Chrono cars, but that's not what they've done. You still need to be in Sport mode for max performance.

More practically speaking, however, I would worry about the resale value of a non-Chrono car.

Bottom line: get Chrono. As a bonus, it's always fun to watch passengers try to figure out how to read the ugly "clock" embedded into the dash.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:18 AM
NoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant futureNoRoom4Error has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by chrisn
As a bonus, it's always fun to watch passengers try to figure out how to read the ugly "clock" embedded into the dash.
Wait... you let passengers in your Porsche?

Old 05-12-2007, 09:48 AM
KJM3 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by chrisn
Interesting Q. I suspect they could have doen the programing to be in "Sports mode" all the time, even for non-Sports Chrono cars, but that's not what they've done. You still need to be in Sport mode for max performance.

More practically speaking, however, I would worry about the resale value of a non-Chrono car.

Bottom line: get Chrono. As a bonus, it's always fun to watch passengers try to figure out how to read the ugly "clock" embedded into the dash.
You're right about the resale value part, as well I see that there are other benefits like the shock absorbers getting stiffer as well as a bias more towards RWD. Plus, watching my passengers faces as they try to read the clock will be fun!

Thanks,
KJ

Old 05-12-2007, 01:51 PM
B-Line will become famous soon enough
Oh, so that's what that thing is... I thought the clock on the middle of my dash was broken.. Guess I can call the stealer and cancel my service appointment.

Last edited by B-Line; 05-12-2007 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:55 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
I would get the SC and skip the ecu.

Old 05-12-2007, 06:35 PM
crd
crd is an unknown quantity at this point
Get both!

I drove AWE's car with the GIAC ECU. The Sport mode is def more than just the 10 sec overboost. The shock adjustment, the power bias, the accelerator rate, the liberalization of PSM are all part of the package. The ECU is really worth it, and costs about as much or less than a good exhaust system. I'm planning on getting an exhaust system (haven't decided which one) and the ECU. Then you have a car that really kicks ***, yet is a joy for daily driving.

Old 05-13-2007, 07:41 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Remember, there's a reason porsche only put the overboost to 10sec, that's all the VTG turbos can safely tolerate. But, I'm sure GIAC would pick up the cost of replacing the turbos.

Old 05-13-2007, 07:35 PM
crd
crd is an unknown quantity at this point
Chris is absolutely right. Porsche isn't stupid. But, they are also very good at marketing and know how/when to roll out enhanced versions for higher prices. I would not be surprised if they do a powerkit type of option with much the same type of thing we are talking about. A good aftermarket exhaust actually lowers EGTs and should help the turbos with heat buildup. Also, it would not be wise to use the modded ECU in competition without serious attention to other components as well. I think a little frisky driving (when conditions are safe) probably won't damage anything. You will see, Chris, when you get your car - there's not many places in public where you can drive a 997TT at WOT for more than 10 seconds! In any event, I'm waiting to see what the overall reliability situation is with other owners before I do mine. Trust, but verify.