997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

PCCB In The Wet: Scary or Problematic?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 06:44 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
PCCB In The Wet: Scary or Problematic?

Car & Driver in their June 2007 long term test of a Boxter with PCCB states the brake is "reluctant" when wet or in the rain. For PCCB owners: How big/frequent of a problem is this please? For example, is it enough to make you not drive your car in the rain? Or cause you to have to frequently tap the brake to make sure it works when it's raining? Thanks in advance. The time is near for me to place my order for my turbo *daily driver*. PCCB is the last big decision I have to make. (Sorry for the cross post in other forums.)
Regards,
Can

Old 05-12-2007, 06:51 PM
Byronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to behold
PCCB is a must rain or not. I drive in every condition except for snow and have not had a problem. I have alot and I mean alot of stop and go traffic here. No problems and the yellow looks hot. More important no brake dust....lol

Aloha

Byron

Old 05-12-2007, 06:59 PM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
Hi Byron,
Thank you for the feedback.
So what on earth is Car & Driver talking about? You have no problem whatsoever when it rains? If this is not a problem than I am 99% sure I will get it. I agree with you, it is soooo preeetty.

Originally Posted by Byronmaui
PCCB is a must rain or not. I drive in every condition except for snow and have not had a problem. I have alot and I mean alot of stop and go traffic here. No problems and the yellow looks hot. More important no brake dust....lol

Aloha

Byron

Old 05-12-2007, 06:59 PM
stealth is infamous around these parts
After washing the car, I notice that you have to be careful if you drive it right away.

Last edited by stealth; 05-12-2007 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:06 PM
Byronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to behold
Cannaga - 2nd generation PCCB are great. Don't listen to the crap just get them and you will not be sorry.

Byron

Old 05-12-2007, 08:37 PM
2K7997TT is a jewel in the rough2K7997TT is a jewel in the rough2K7997TT is a jewel in the rough
Go with the PCCB...I didn't and my brakes squeak constantly (brake dust)

Old 05-12-2007, 08:40 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Weird, i havent had a problem after washing my car or when i got caught in the rain on the way home from a run, over an hour away from home... These brake's are fantastic

Originally Posted by 2K7997TT
Go with the PCCB...I didn't and my brakes squeak constantly (brake dust)
LOL PCCb's do as well, my car sounds like metro bus!

Old 05-12-2007, 08:49 PM
Cannaga post pics of your car when you get it. Do not post if you did not get PCCB's...lol..I am surprised the PCCB haters are not here yet..lol

Aloha

Byron

Old 05-12-2007, 09:10 PM
johnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nicejohnww is just really nice
Originally Posted by cannga
Car & Driver in their June 2007 long term test of a Boxter with PCCB states the brake is "reluctant" when wet or in the rain. For PCCB owners: How big/frequent of a problem is this please? For example, is it enough to make you not drive your car in the rain? Or cause you to have to frequently tap the brake to make sure it works when it's raining? Thanks in advance. The time is near for me to place my order for my turbo *daily driver*. PCCB is the last big decision I have to make. (Sorry for the cross post in other forums.)
Regards,
Can
I got the steel brakes. Called several dealers including Porsche. All said no difference in stopping distances between steel and ceramic. I have heard several complaints about ceramic-braking in first 3-5 miles driving when brakes cold, not good when wet (for a few miles), often grinding noises. First generation had many troubles even with Porsche not wanting to warrant PCCB problems. Not sure about second generation if Porsche would be as cold if problems emerged. What I gather is that for race track driving ceramics probably will do better because of less fade and the other feature which I think is useless is their longevity, who cares if the next owner still has good discs. My dealer also said the factory pads that come with ceramics are more for racing +need to be replaced with a softer pad if good street stopping is required. My understanding too, is with the ceramics because of high-cost replacement, that could be a negative when selling the car. Also if a disc cracks from tire change or thrown stone, driver out $5K. All this and you pay $8800 ...ended up a no-brainer for me to stay with steel. A personal choice I guess. Some think the yellow color is superior to red, don't know I guess others report less brake dust which I find no problem with steel anyway.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:14 PM
Aren't PCCB'S rated for over 100,000 miles?

Old 05-12-2007, 10:41 PM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
Suppose to be, I think they are great too. Ive been caught in the rain a couple times and absolutely no problems. And yes there is a huge difference between brake dust, no contest!

Originally Posted by Byronmaui
Aren't PCCB'S rated for over 100,000 miles?

Old 05-12-2007, 11:03 PM
chrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to allchrisn is a name known to all
Originally Posted by stealth
After washing the car, I notice that you have to be careful if you drive it right away.
I have noticed that as well, but no probs at all in the rain.

Look, the PCCB's are an irrationally over-the-top purchse.... just like a 997TT

Old 05-13-2007, 06:40 AM
Mussel Kar is a jewel in the roughMussel Kar is a jewel in the roughMussel Kar is a jewel in the rough
Get them if you can afford them, don't if you can't. Not a single problem with them on my TT and I have even tracked them in the rain. AWD TT on a wet track is a freekin hoot!
Some drivers get the PCCBs and remove the ceramic rotors and replace them with steel rotors.

Old 05-13-2007, 08:28 AM
bobk is infamous around these parts
2nd that. If $ is not an issue, PCCB's are a must. You absolutely notice the reduced unsprung weight. Initial pedal hardness is actually improved in the wet in my opinion. The PCCB pads do not absorb moisture i was told. The pedal feel is superior to steel. #1 option for me, i've had many of both steel & ceramic.

Old 05-13-2007, 02:01 PM
ESu
ESu is infamous around these parts
I just got my steel brakes replaced with PCCB-kit and so far I only have driven from local Porsche dealer to home. This happened after some 10 hours at office (was tired) and during rush hour. During these first 40 kilometers (25 mls), under those circumstances, to be honest to myself PCCB's felt a lot smoother than steel brakes.

Could senior PCCB-members advice if there's a wear-in period or equivalent. Ever since my 997TT has sat in the garage, so I haven't had the chance to go out and test them properly. The weight reduction felt nice - car is far more snappier than with steel brakes. Will PCCB's need to be warmed properly before they start to function sharply?

Next track day will be 25 th of may, I guess I'll at latest find some answers at that time.

-ESu

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PCCB In The Wet: Scary or Problematic?