997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Buzzing on Right Side of Car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 08:26 PM
sammyh is on a distinguished road
Buzzing on Right Side of Car

I've noticed a high frequency buzzing noise, coming from the right side of the car, although I'm unable to isolate it to the front or rear of the car. I first noticed the buzzing at a 900 miles: it was intermittent, and my son who was with me at the time, said he thought the sound was coming from the roof area, but I didn't get that sense.

Over time (the car now has 1500 miles), the buzzing has become regular, particular when I'm driving on rough pavement (even a freeway) and/or when I'm accelerating through 3K - 5K rpms. I don't think this is related to a spot weld problem, because there's no buzzing or creaking
when I'm entering my driveway and really flexing the car, although I wouldn't rule it out.

After about 10 minutes of driving, the buzzing drives me nuts. I'll take the car to the dealer, but I thought I check in with the forum to see if anyone
is aware of the problem or whether there's a TSB out covering it?

Thanks!

Sam

Old 05-21-2007, 08:31 PM
MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !MexicoBlue Is a GOD !
Wife? Girlfriend?

Old 05-21-2007, 08:44 PM
That's funny. My wife, one of the few people who could help me isolate the sound by riding shotgun, refuses to ride with me (for the time being). So I guess maybe I will need to have by girlfriend ride along, buzzing and all . . .

Sammy

Old 05-21-2007, 09:34 PM
N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sammyh
That's funny. My wife, one of the few people who could help me isolate the sound by riding shotgun, refuses to ride with me (for the time being). So I guess maybe I will need to have by girlfriend ride along, buzzing and all . . .

Sammy
Not to get personal "but" why wont she ride with you?

The GF is funny s**t!

Old 05-21-2007, 09:57 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
could be the defective weld in the rear fenderwell. There was a TSB on it

Old 05-22-2007, 06:43 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by eclou
could be the defective weld in the rear fenderwell. There was a TSB on it
The weld noise usually is a "groink" kind of noise, not a buzz. When I was driving through Wisconsin after I purchased my 02 TT, I kept hearing a buzzing sound...and I actually found out what it was...a honey bee was trapped in the vent! Go figure...

Old 05-22-2007, 10:31 AM
[quote=N2it]Not to get personal "but" why wont she ride with you?

True story: about six weeks ago, I'm driving with my wife in the Atlas Grey,
which at the time had about 900 miles.

I'm heading east on Sand Hill Road in Menlo Park, CA, entering the on-ramp
to highway 280 south. I notice that a black Maserati (a 2 door so I presume it was a coupe) is on the 280 on-ramp from westerly direction of Sand Hill Road. Thus, we're on a convergence path since the two ramps unite into a single straightaway entering 280.

Naturally, as a self-respecting turbo driver, I hit the gas. But to my surprise, so does the Maserati, who obviously isn't going to defer to superior technology.

Later that day I overheard my wife telling a friend that, "technically the turbo could have beaten the Maserati, but not with a screaming woman in the car."

So I guess for a while, I'm on probation with my wife.

Sam

Old 05-22-2007, 11:01 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sammyh
Later that day I overheard my wife telling a friend that, "technically the turbo could have beaten the Maserati, but not with a screaming woman in the car."

Sam
I think that is a new Porsche exclusive performance option NWSC (neurotic wife stability control)

Old 05-22-2007, 01:15 PM
N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !N2it Is a GOD !
[quote=sammyh]
Originally Posted by N2it
Not to get personal "but" why wont she ride with you?

True story: about six weeks ago, I'm driving with my wife in the Atlas Grey,
which at the time had about 900 miles.

I'm heading east on Sand Hill Road in Menlo Park, CA, entering the on-ramp
to highway 280 south. I notice that a black Maserati (a 2 door so I presume it was a coupe) is on the 280 on-ramp from westerly direction of Sand Hill Road. Thus, we're on a convergence path since the two ramps unite into a single straightaway entering 280.

Naturally, as a self-respecting turbo driver, I hit the gas. But to my surprise, so does the Maserati, who obviously isn't going to defer to superior technology.

So I guess for a while, I'm on probation with my wife.

Sam
That is great and poor Maserati... Much quicker without a passenger anyways

Old 05-22-2007, 01:20 PM
Frissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by eclou
I think that is a new Porsche exclusive performance option NWSC (neurotic wife stability control)
I had the NWSC but talked to Porsche about it and they helped...

First arrive in style...

then let her get the feel of the brand...

then put her through the cones with her personal instructor...

let her spin a $130k Carrera 4S Cab...

add some off road to the track driving too...

and she is almost ready...

then... take her to 300+ Porsche gathering

and to a drive with 30 or so Porsches...

always have an extra Porsche for her to drive with her girlfirends...

and by the time the Turbo arrives she's ready to fly!!!

thanks to Porsche de Mexico, Porsche Club Mexico and Porsche Puebla to make it all happen.

ooohhh about the buzzing sorry I can't help but on Mexican streets everything creaks and buzzes so I can't isolate all the 350 or so noises I hear everytime I drive my turbo... he,he,he... but I gave you a solution for the NWSC... hopefully your wife will help on a later note...

Last edited by Frissen; 05-22-2007 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:41 PM
porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !porschespeeddemon Is a GOD !
Try to see if it is more or less noticeable with the door pocket open/closed.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:18 PM
cynicali will become famous soon enough
Great post Frissen.

Old 05-22-2007, 10:19 PM
zman is on a distinguished road
check your passenger side rear speaker grill. Mine was doing it,drove me nutts.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:44 AM
gradyex will become famous soon enoughgradyex will become famous soon enough
Ive got 900 miles on my car and I have buzzing on take off coming from different areas....mostly hear it in center of dash. I also have this clicking type rubbing noise, worse over bumps coming from just behind my left ear (by the drivers sealtbelt). Took it in and they said it was fixed but it happened again. This is driving me insane! I can't help but think that the LSD is a contributer to some of the other "vibrating" issues. Not to pleased with these issues on a $150K car and I hope they get resolved soon.