997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

And who says 997 turbos are not soft?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 06:47 PM
CAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond repute
And who says 997 turbos are not soft?

Here is an eBay auction for a new turbo for $5000 less than sticker from a Porsche dealer. It is a great color combo. Could be a good deal for someone in the market. Finally I am seeing these cars start to depreciate! I bet there is even more room for a discount if you were to try.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-91...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 06-13-2007, 06:57 PM
Frissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud of
don't know we would have to check what is going on here because the photos show sport seats with silver stitch yet the options list shows supple leather and red stitch...

Old 06-13-2007, 07:13 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Frissen
don't know we would have to check what is going on here because the photos show sport seats with silver stitch yet the options list shows supple leather and red stitch...
He says the pictures provided are file pictures.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:59 PM
Banned
thedutchguy is on a distinguished road
I don't see them stating a $ 5,000 discount anywhere. It's a $ 5,000 deposit. And the price is a starting price of $ 125,000, but that won't sell the car.

The 2008 models are coming so yes there might be a small courtesy discount, but the turbo's are not soft. It's funny, since you seem to be excited about the Turbo getting soft. Any model getting soft wouldn't be good for your favorite brand. It's better for everyone that the cars stay strong in the market.
This will have a positive effect on the car you might want to trade in the future.
Why is it that people are upset that they have to pay full sticker for a car?
It simply means that they are buying a car that is desirable.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:14 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
that wont sell. but when dealers resort to ebay...well one has to wonder no?

Old 06-13-2007, 08:15 PM
PbPedis is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by thedutchguy
For me, negotiating the price of a car is half the fun of buying a new one. To me, it's a game, and if I pay full list, I've lost. I've never purchased a car at full list, and never will.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:31 PM
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
Ah, the company line. Be proud, pay full price, just don't bring it back for a trade. We have all been schooled in the porsche mentality. Of course we love the brand and have pride in ownership but I'm sure most of us have had the unfortunate experience of our dealer justifying why they have to take our trade at a sacrifice to them at such a low price. You can't blame anyone looking for "courtesy discount" on a car that is going to depreciate sharply after porsche creates an X package or an S version. God forbid a "courtesy discount" for repeat 100K+ purchases. Courtesy is not blowing smoke, rather understanding the perspective of the buyer. You may find you'll establish loyality for more subsequent sales.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:19 PM
TDY
TDY is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jaymoney
Ah, the company line. Be proud, pay full price, just don't bring it back for a trade. We have all been schooled in the porsche mentality. Of course we love the brand and have pride in ownership but I'm sure most of us have had the unfortunate experience of our dealer justifying why they have to take our trade at a sacrifice to them at such a low price. You can't blame anyone looking for "courtesy discount" on a car that is going to depreciate sharply after porsche creates an X package or an S version. God forbid a "courtesy discount" for repeat 100K+ purchases. Courtesy is not blowing smoke, rather understanding the perspective of the buyer. You may find you'll establish loyality for more subsequent sales.
Ditto. It's about paying fair market value. No one is complaining about paying MSRP if that is market. But anyone who thinks 997TT's are at full MSRP is mistaken. I've been offered discounts from dealers I really don't have much of a relationship with. Supply and demand dictate what market is, not Porsche.

I'd like to see a dealer offer more than market when it comes time to trade in our cars. Um yeah, that ain't ever going to happen so why should customers pay more than market when we buy?

Old 06-13-2007, 09:32 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Im in the market, socal, for Oct or Nov build. Have only kicked tires at one dealer, no deposit placed yet but will post what I find.

Feel free to PM some salesman or saleswoman referals, LA or OC area, if you have them.

Last edited by gmoney; 06-13-2007 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:39 PM
M3Tifosi is on a distinguished road
arent they supposed to be uping the cost by 2% sometime soon?

Old 06-13-2007, 09:39 PM
turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !turbo187 Is a GOD !
The 2008 models are coming so yes there might be a small courtesy discount, but the turbo's are not soft. It's funny, since you seem to be excited about the Turbo getting soft. Any model getting soft wouldn't be good for your favorite brand. It's better for everyone that the cars stay strong in the market.
This will have a positive effect on the car you might want to trade in the future.
I thought this was the motto of Ferrari... "bend over and take it like a man."

pretty ridiculous if you ask me

Old 06-13-2007, 11:24 PM
lei
lei is on a distinguished road
I don't see them stating a $ 5,000 discount anywhere. It's a $ 5,000 deposit. And the price is a starting price of $ 125,000, but that won't sell the car.

Well if only one person bids, he/she is getting a $4200 discount... it does says no reserve....

Last edited by lei; 06-13-2007 at 11:28 PM.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:04 AM
docjackson1 will become famous soon enough
as one of you has said, this is all a market thing. no one should buy a 997tt and think that they are making a wise investment. these are toys-like a rolex gold submariner, like a ferrari 430, etc. i got my 997tt in novrmber, paid full list, ordered the way i wanted it, and was happy to get it. i have owned many porsches, i never bought one in order to get a great resale price in 2-3 years. some of them sold for a good price, others (1989 928s4) sold for a fraction of what i paid for it. with these new turbos, if you get 3 grand off, 5 grand, or more or less, it really doesn't matter, as most of you put so many options on your cars, that you have already killed your resale prices. if you load the car up with leather and carbon fiber and ceramic brakes, get an msrp of 150k, then fight for 5k off, weren't you better off getting an msrp car of 127k, with only the sports chrono, lsd and heated seats, and getting a smaller discount? most of you wanted to equip it the way you wanted-nothing wrong with that, but to buy a car for 150k, and then spend hours and hours haggling, so that you save an extra thousand, when you are going to get killed on resale in a couple of years anyways-i just don't see it. as far as the dealer's (erik's) opinion regarding what to pay for your car-what do you expect him to say? he is giving you an honest opinion. he wants to sell you the car for as much as he can, and buy it back for as little as he can. he is correct when he says that strong sales will be better for you at trade in time.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:24 AM
gradyex will become famous soon enoughgradyex will become famous soon enough
Stay away, not worth it. (1) the car is optioned out wierd like it was a cancellation. (2) As soon as the car is delivered it will take a whole 3 weeks for it to be replaced by the 2008 model and (4) Why would anyone not order a car exactly the way they want it if its 2 months away? Your better off paying the difference in cost for a 2008 model, the depreciation alone is a huge factor. Thats why its on EBAY becase the dealer has to cast its lines out much further to catch a BIG FISH!

Last edited by gradyex; 06-15-2007 at 01:19 AM.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:06 AM
gradyex will become famous soon enoughgradyex will become famous soon enough
Docjackson1, I just read your post after I submitted mine and you are correct in what you say but remember I added all the leather goodies after the dealer gave me $5K off MSRP. LOL!

Seriously, getting a $5k discount meant a lot to me and I probably would not be driving my turbo today if I hadn't gotten the discount. Its more psycological in the sense that it starts a "domino effect". I am going for the turbo because of the great discount so I'll sell my 997S on my own and order the turbo with lots of leather so the car feels like its worth the difference in cost. LOL. Cars are only superceeded by boats as being the worst possible investments for your money. These discounts are really mind games we play with each other but their a reflection of the current "market" for a car. Had I traded in my 997S and not gotten a discount on the turbo I would have been $18,000.00 poorer today. I probably would have passed on the deal too. Instead I took the $5K discount from the dealer and added the $11k figure that I got selling the 997S on my own (the dealer had appraised it already had I traded it in) and added the tax and lic that it would have cost me and came up with a significant savings of $18k. If I took that and bought a turbo with just a few basic options (ie sports chrono, lsd, etc) I would be ahead of the game financially speaking but my car feels special because I built it exactly the way I always dreamed I would. I really didn't think about what my car would be worth in 2-3 years because I plan to keep to keep this turbo much longer, after all it gets better by the day.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: And who says 997 turbos are not soft?