997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Anyone have experience with Champion H&R springs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 08:39 PM
terrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the rough
Anyone have experience with Champion H&R springs?

I started a thread about 10 days ago and resulted in a 3 page discussion which was very educational. Unfortunately, it did not offer any insight or review of the Champion H&R springs. Can anyone offer some personal experience or at least heard of any opinions on those particular springs?

Thanks.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:48 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
I am having them installed tomorrow. I bought the H&R ones instead. I will let you know the experience. Don't worry I will be honest about them.

I am dropping the car off at 7:30am and should get it back later that afternoon dialed in with new alignment specs that we worked out for street performance driving. I am also putting in Nitrogen into the tires as well.

I will post no later than Friday evening for Saturday depending on how much time I get behind the wheel to really test them.

My car has 510 miles on it right now. So nice and fresh shocks to compress down

Old 07-26-2007, 10:35 PM
terrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the roughterrence is a jewel in the rough
Thanks. Let me know how you deal with the combination of the lowered height and the painted front lip. That is my other concern.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:14 AM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by terrence
Thanks. Let me know how you deal with the combination of the lowered height and the painted front lip. That is my other concern.
Very carefully!!

In the next couple of weeks there should be something that will underneath the spoiler that will help it. Until then - I have to take it very slow over a bump or two.

Old 07-28-2007, 07:00 AM
Terrence - here are some photos. It is raining outside so - that is a no go with better pictures. I will try to post some more for you later on.

In regards to the H&R Springs - I would recommend them. I like the ride compliance over OEM springs. It lessens if not almost eliminate the pogo feel in normal mode. You still get some on uneven surfaces with Sport PASM on but its better than OEM Sport PASM. But that is expected as Sport PASM is really meant for the track on smoother surfaces. I took the car around a newly paved wide road before and after and I can say that I would engage the corner after the springs at about 20 mph faster than before. It was more of comfort with the car more so than fear. I don't doubt it would have been able to enter into the turn at the higher speeds at turn in but it didn't feel safe. I would engage a corner harder now and I can feel the give of the rear where as before I didn't.

It lowers the car about an inch. I definately know how the GT3 guys feel now.

I like it better than STOCK feel and cornering is much improved even over uneven surfaces. In both modes.

I just wanted to lower the car and dial the car in for a better feel. I have achieved this. I would not hestitate for one moment to go with Motons if I were making it track friendly.

Also my alignment specs were dailed in for street performance. I will just have to watch the wear for the next 30 days to make sure its not too aggressive. Otherwise I will dial it out a little more.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:11 AM
So how is the ride on bumpy roads now compared to before? I would like my car to retain most of its ride comfort for daily driving. Also, have you had a lot more problems with driveways and dips with your front lip?

And just to make sure, yours are the Champion version of the H&R, right?

Thanks.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:44 AM
As mentioned above - its more compliant(better riding than stock springs) both with PASM off and on.

I have a decent driveway so I don't have problems. I can't back it straight in but I can back it in at an angle.

I have the H&R's - Champion didn't do any additional research to make a "better" spring rate than the standard H&R. So I found no need to pay them for nothing.

As I said - I am happy with them.

Old 07-28-2007, 10:32 AM
Thank you so much. Your review has been very helpful. I think I am gonna go for it.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:36 AM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Alpine,

you should have them fix the cross camber in front. you are at -1.1 front left and -1.4 front right.

Old 07-28-2007, 12:16 PM
Eclou - I knew someone was going to say something

I asked them to put it at that setting. He has dialed in many cars that way. A little more shoulder wear but I like the settings. It has worked for me in the past with other cars.

Now all I need is your CheapArts to help me deal with the scraping

The downside of lowering.

Old 07-28-2007, 01:18 PM
master_jcp will become famous soon enoughmaster_jcp will become famous soon enough
Congrats to the Turbo! Do you have trade the 750 in? The springs are for the Turbo or? So I want to take them. Not for a RS. Good luck.

Old 07-28-2007, 03:37 PM
eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !eclou Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ALPINE_997
Eclou - I knew someone was going to say something

I asked them to put it at that setting. He has dialed in many cars that way. A little more shoulder wear but I like the settings. It has worked for me in the past with other cars.

Now all I need is your CheapArts to help me deal with the scraping

The downside of lowering.
I think he probably aligned it in anticipation for adding the weight of the driver. When my guys align, they put ballast in the seat and then align. Your guy is achieving the same effect

Old 07-29-2007, 08:55 AM
Eclou - that is correct. He asked me my weight before the alignment. Gota lay off the burgers

It sure does a make a difference with the new alignment and springs. Now I just have to get the damn TPS to get a good reading. It still hasn't come back to register the pressure correctly. I have measured the pressure 5 times now and no drop in the pressure but the TPS can't get a reading. After all the TPS inactive reading in process - it goes to Tyre Flat -7. I have it scheduled for a look next week.

Anyone have this problem?

Old 07-29-2007, 10:22 AM
Not sure why the TPMS would be affected. Using stock plastic valvestem caps or new metal one? I heard metal will cause interference

Old 07-29-2007, 01:16 PM
I am using the stock ones. Strange and I have let it sit to reset 3 times now. It just won't read correctly the PSI - it read -7 on left and -8 on right and nothing in the front.

I have an appointment with the dealership.