997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Help! Need to decide on wheel color...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 07:29 PM
alin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud of
Help! Need to decide on wheel color...

I've decided to go with the 19" Champion RF67s, but I can't decide between a silver finish and a gunmetal grey finish with my soon, but not soon enough, to arrive cobalt blue 997 TT.

The stock turbo wheels are going to get winter tires mounted on them since my 18" CIII wheels for my C2S won't work .

Anyways (courtesy of E55AMG) pics of the silver 19" RF67's

Now what will look better? Gunmetal grey or silver with cobalt blue.

Another small minus regarding gunmetal grey is that it will be an $800 upcharge and another 4-5 weeks...

Old 08-22-2007, 08:14 PM
SLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to beholdSLATETT is a splendid one to behold
IMO silver for cobalt and gunmetal for slate

Old 08-22-2007, 08:23 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Silver for Cobalt. See Jason's (Atomic 80)

Old 08-22-2007, 08:24 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
lighter the color of the car = darker wheel - IMO

Old 08-22-2007, 09:43 PM
TurboBill is on a distinguished road
I just had a nice email exchange with Champion, they said they could paint the wheels gloss black, so I assume they could paint them any color. They also said they could leave the outer trim ring silver, for a little contrast and to break up the solid color. They also said only 2 weeks. Yes on +$800.

Last edited by TurboBill; 08-23-2007 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:45 AM
pilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nice
Originally Posted by SLATETT
+1...I have the same opinion

Old 08-23-2007, 11:01 AM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by SLATETT
The reason I didn't do that (Champion and Wheel enhancement agreed) is if you go that route and they look close but don't match, it will look like you tried to match and did a really bad job on it. Maybe meteor would work better but I think slate has too many different hues to it.

Old 08-24-2007, 04:17 PM
golfguy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by alin2
I've decided to go with the 19" Champion RF67s, but I can't decide between a silver finish and a gunmetal grey finish with my soon, but not soon enough, to arrive cobalt blue 997 TT.

The stock turbo wheels are going to get winter tires mounted on them since my 18" CIII wheels for my C2S won't work .

Now what will look better? Gunmetal grey or silver with cobalt blue.

Another small minus regarding gunmetal grey is that it will be an $800 upcharge and another 4-5 weeks...
Alin2

the standard champion colors are silver and a metallic medium gray with a matt finish which is significantly lighter than most of the gunmetal wheels i'll seen. my understanding was that the gunmetal and silver wheels would be the same price so i'm guessing the extra charge is for repainting.

i'm biased towards darker color wheels so i think it adds an more aggressive look than the standard silver wheels and they don't show brake dust. the champion gunmetal finish is different enough from the porsche gray colors so it won't conflict.

if you are interested, i can stop by the local champion distributor to take a picture of the gunmetal rf67 (if they still have stock).

Old 08-24-2007, 11:26 PM
GTS-R is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by golfguy
Alin2

the standard champion colors are silver and a metallic medium gray with a matt finish which is significantly lighter than most of the gunmetal wheels i'll seen. my understanding was that the gunmetal and silver wheels would be the same price so i'm guessing the extra charge is for repainting.

i'm biased towards darker color wheels so i think it adds an more aggressive look than the standard silver wheels and they don't show brake dust. the champion gunmetal finish is different enough from the porsche gray colors so it won't conflict.

if you are interested, i can stop by the local champion distributor to take a picture of the gunmetal rf67 (if they still have stock).
Please take a photo of the champion gunmetal color and the champion british black (which they also offer). I am planning to buy a set of RS98s for my RS and have been debating as to which color to go with. Much thanks in advance.

Last edited by GTS-R; 08-24-2007 at 11:39 PM.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:59 AM
RF67 in gunmetal and black

here are the pics as discussed. they are both matt finishes and i should note that the black is not a standard champion color.

link to hi res pics at: http://flickr.com/photos/7384012@N05/

Old 08-25-2007, 02:37 PM
RobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of light
I perfer the silver vs a black.
The darker the wheel, you loose the detail in the wheel design. I would only do a dark color wheel with a CHROME lip. But that is why baskin robbins has 31 flavors

get pics, where were they taken ???
I believe that Champion is located in Pompano Bch, Fl. They are great guys, they did most of the work on my ferrari as a favor.

Old 08-25-2007, 05:00 PM
GHOSTRIDER-TT will become famous soon enoughGHOSTRIDER-TT will become famous soon enough
I prefer the gunmetal look.

Old 08-25-2007, 05:18 PM
alin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud ofalin2 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by golfguy
here are the pics as discussed. they are both matt finishes and i should note that the black is not a standard champion color.

link to hi res pics at: http://flickr.com/photos/7384012@N05/
Thanks, bro! Wow...that gunmetal finish looks outstanding! Unfortunately, they are not stocking it apparently and want an $800 upcharge to paint them...

Old 08-25-2007, 06:52 PM
NSD991 is just really niceNSD991 is just really niceNSD991 is just really niceNSD991 is just really nice
Go with silver. Cobalt is such a lively color in person, the gunmetal may clash. Just my opinion. Its your car, enjoy it any way you want. Congrats.

Old 08-25-2007, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by alin2
Thanks, bro! Wow...that gunmetal finish looks outstanding! Unfortunately, they are not stocking it apparently and want an $800 upcharge to paint them...
glad to be of assistance. the info on these boards have been very useful for modding my tt.

wrt to the gunmetal color, check around as i'm sure there's someone that will order them for you ... if you don't mind the wait. e55amg, eclou and myself waited about 4 months for our wheels. i think gunmetal will go great with your cobalt tt!

Originally Posted by RobertM
get pics, where were they taken ???
I believe that Champion is located in Pompano Bch, Fl. They are great guys, they did most of the work on my ferrari as a favor.
the pics were taken at pfaff tuning which is the canadian distributor for champion. Jesse at champion was very helpful in helping to pick a 19" wheel.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help! Need to decide on wheel color...