997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Exhaust Sound Levels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 11:39 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Exhaust Sound Levels

I have a 997S Coupe with Evo Headers, Mufflers, Intake and AWE Cats. As much as love the sound and the gains from this system it seems as if they are too loud for my needs (my you kids wake up when I leave for work at 5:30AM). I added the Cats after the rest of the system was in place, and really don't want to get rid of them, I thought going back to my PSE system and having a two step system (On/Off switch via Sport Mode) for my Mufflers. Has any one come across this problem and used the PSE to get the sounds lower, or am just going to have to pull the cats off and go with stock cats again?

Old 02-21-2008, 01:28 PM
ttpower will become famous soon enough
Hi, I actually have the same issue on my 996 Turbo. I just got the car and it has a fabspeed exhaust system. Wat too loud for me as I plan to use it as a daily driver. I am planning to go back to a stock setup.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:30 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ttpower
Hi, I actually have the same issue on my 996 Turbo. I just got the car and it has a fabspeed exhaust system. Wat too loud for me as I plan to use it as a daily driver. I am planning to go back to a stock setup.
I don't think that it is too loud, my wife and kids get woken up by it way too early. You may want to convert some of the parts to stock and leave others.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the input. I am a bit new to this. The dealer told me I needed to replace the whole exhaust system, it cannot be done piecemeal as the parts don't mix and match between one system and another. Is that not correct?

Old 02-21-2008, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by ttpower
Thanks for the input. I am a bit new to this. The dealer told me I needed to replace the whole exhaust system, it cannot be done piecemeal as the parts don't mix and match between one system and another. Is that not correct?
Total BS, everything should be interchangeable. If you want to find a full factory system you could probably find one on for sale forum and then swap it out for you parts and then sell your system to someone else. Dealers are not always telling you the truth.

Good Luck

Old 02-21-2008, 03:16 PM
daytrader is on a distinguished road
Have you ever consider this set up.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the advice! I have the stock system that originally came with the car so I am in good shape on that front. I'll just need to figure out what parts I should change to get the sound level down. I may just end up getting rid of the fabspeed altogether and going back to the full stock exhaust setup. I'll let you know how I make out.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:20 PM
Not sure what this setup will give me. Can you elaborate? Thanks.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:47 PM
cid042 is on a distinguished road
Daytrader : What is this ?!! Who make it ? How much ?
If it is what I think it is... AWE, here I come !!!

I really want to unleash the power and sound that's in the exhaust, but definitely need the quiet mode for those tracks around there...

Old 02-21-2008, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by daytrader
Have you ever consider this set up.

Looks like PSE for big boys! What is it?

Old 02-21-2008, 06:58 PM
cayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond reputecayenne_ksa has a reputation beyond repute
I have PSE and X51 headers and the sound doesn't seem to be too loud so I think If you take of the cats you'll be fine. Did you install everything at one time or you went through different levels?

Old 02-21-2008, 07:15 PM
I just bought the car and it came with the Fabspeed. Based on the receipts, it looks like it was all done together.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:25 PM
invids is on a distinguished road
When I got the fabspeed put onto my car it was loud at first but I got used to it

Old 02-21-2008, 10:45 PM
Gcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the roughGcalo is a jewel in the rough
The valve you have shown is similar to that Ferrari, Maserati, and a few others use.

While it may offer some silencing, it will restrict air flow which is counter productive to the equipment you added!

A better way would be to look at something like the Ansa Silverline product tail pipes that have a bit of packing in them. They can alter the resonance characteristics of your muffler. See: http://www.ansaautomotive.com/Silver...ips/index.html

I have a Tubi on my 360 which has an unbearable resonance. I am cutting off the Tubi tips and having welded on one model of these Silverline tips that has some packing within.

That should rid the resonance and tame some of the discomfort. It may work for you at much less cost that what that valve system will run.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:53 PM
M32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to beholdM32911S is a splendid one to behold
I have the porsche x51 headers along eithe AWE cats and mufflers. I think the loudness is just about perfect. Sounds aggressive on cold start though. But once the car warms up a bit the idle is pretty quiet imho. Sounds great on WOT.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Sound Levels