997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Multi-Function Steering Wheel + Bluetooth + iPhone = Sweet!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 08:59 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
dcooper is infamous around these parts
Multi-Function Steering Wheel + Bluetooth + iPhone = Sweet!

I posted this over on RennTech.org, but I'll post it here as well......

I just got the Porsche Multi-Function steering wheel and Nav-TV's "Tooki" PCM-integrated Bluetooth unit installed in my 997 C4 Cab at Porsche Nashua in N.H. These guys are really, really good.

Let me just say that it's an AWESOME combination and it's completely OEM/invisible, which is great.

The multi-function steering wheel's telephone controls now operate my iPhone, mounted in a cradle to the right of the PCM, and 99% of the Porsche Telephone Kit functionality works now on my PCM but with my iPhone. The keypad is active, the on hook/offhook work, I have my phonebook automatically sync'd in the PCM, and there's nothing I have to do. I start the car and "ATT" and the number of bars for signal strength show up, even if my phone is in my pocket buried somewhere, like it normally is when I get in the car.

Once I updated the iPhone's software to 1.1.4 (1.1.3 had an issue where the Bluetooth service would crash when Tooki downloaded the address book), and updated the Tooki software to the latest (you just download a simple utility and update the software using Bluetooth on a laptop near your car, all is well.

I had looked at the multi-function steering wheel before, but couldn't justify it since the PCM was so close by, but with the telephone controls working now, man, it's a real pleasure to have everything so close at hand. I had the Tooki little black microphone installed above on the light cluster in the center. I'm told it's very clear and I can be heard with only slight road noise at 70MPH (top up of course!)

I had heard from others that mounting in the OEM Telephone Kit location inside the steering column didn't pick up very well and the best spot was above. The audio while on a call comes oiut the right speakers and sounds excellent.

Note that I did not have the Porsche Telephone Kit before starting this.

I bought the steering wheel and Nav-TV upgrade at Suncoast motors online and brought the parts to my dealer (Porsche Nashua) and they got everything working in just a few hours. I'm very pleased with the result.

Regards,

Damon

Old 02-28-2008, 09:11 AM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Glad to hear it!

And for those who need it, we stock the Tooki, and can offer a special deal if you email me first....

eric@bumperplugs.com

Old 02-28-2008, 01:08 PM
sullic is infamous around these parts
Pics

Please post some pictures.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:07 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dcooper
Once I updated the iPhone's software to 1.1.4 (1.1.3 had an issue where the Bluetooth service would crash when Tooki downloaded the address book), and updated the Tooki software to the latest (you just download a simple utility and update the software using Bluetooth on a laptop near your car, all is well.
I was having some problems with my iPhone, I am going to try the upgrade to 1.1.4. I don't have a laptop to upgrade my Tooki, but I need to go back to the installer to finish some other projects.

Thanks for the tip.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:32 PM
wondersurgeon is infamous around these parts
Microphone location

could you be a little more specific on where the mike is located. I installed my tooki, but haven't fixed the mike in place yet. I also thought the instrument cluster would be a reasonable place to place it.

thanks.