997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Car Shopping - Need Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 06:54 PM
arthur6 is on a distinguished road
Car Shopping - Need Help

Guys, I’m shopping for an 05-06 997.
I THINK I want 2 S. Not really interested in a 4.
I need to know where I can find the interior option levels, ie do all cars have heated seats… Bose Radio…
I (think I) know Nav and full leather are stand alone options (right?) What else?
Are some options included with different interior levels. Ex, would I find a car with no power seats but with NAV? This is just an extreme example I’m trying to use for my understanding.
I’m looking for the easy to spot things I can use to identify a “loaded” car.
Will all C2 S cars have a sunroof?
Where can I find this info??
Also I see these cars in the $60k to $70k range, is that about right? If I find a car for say $55k should I jump on it? $50k? $45k?? My local dealer has an 05 2s, 20k miles, asking $65k.
Any help will be appreciated.
THANKS

Old 04-25-2008, 07:16 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
If you look at the Porsche website (or even Edmunds or kbb.com) you will see the "standard" features and the options . Most of the things like memory seats or full leather are options . So is the Bose and even the heated seats . The Nav is also optional . What's a "loaded car" ? The car can be dressed up with so many options that it could cost well over 100K new . Carbon fiber for instance is expensive but so are many of the little options .

The sunroof is standard .

If you can get your dealership to go into the upper 50's on that car and if the DME shows minimal engine overrevs , and if there is no paint or body damage (or if paint minor) --then the car may be agood deal .

Keep this in mind
The 05 has minimal warranty time left
The car takes its first depreciation hit after crossing 10K miles
The "CPO" certified warranty is NOT the same as the factory warranty.
The the DME scan results before even considering the car.
Also look at the rear tires tread --they are expensive to replace
Good luck.

Last edited by yrralis1; 04-25-2008 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:10 PM
first911 is on a distinguished road
These are my recommendations:

1- Be patient (I took me six months to find what a was looking for). You'll save thousands if you buy from private party
2- Identify the Trade-in + tax value of the car that you are looking for. No way a private party we'll sell his car for less that what he can get from the dealer. In other words, estimate your minimum reasonable offer.
3. Identify if the owner has to sell the car or does not need to sell the car
4. Find what you really want and what would be nice to have. Be aware that this would make a difference in the pice
5. You are not buying a pair of shoes. The car has to meet all your expectations.
6-Once you agree on the price, a full pre-purchase inspection is mandatory.

I classify porsche sellers in two categories:
Group 1: Many porsche owners don't need to sell their cars for less than what they think it is worthy. It is difficult to negotiate with this type of seller.
Group 2: Some owners have to decide between trade-in or your offer. It is in this second category that you want to be.

Good luck.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:43 PM
PeterK will become famous soon enough
One way to estimate the true market value of the car is to take it to the carmax and see what they offer. I find that edmunds and kbb are not very accurate with 911, since you can buy a car from a dealer for less than the stated trade-in value.

The actual market value for mass-produced cars (lke 911) is determined by the auction prices. Thus my suggestion to take it to carmax. They'll generate the offer price based on the most current auction results. Then you can offer the seller this price + state sales tax value he/she would have saved by trading it in + a premium paid for complete maintenance history, condition, wear and tear, tires, etc.

Old 04-26-2008, 03:26 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PeterK
One way to estimate the true market value of the car is to take it to the carmax and see what they offer. I find that edmunds and kbb are not very accurate with 911, since you can buy a car from a dealer for less than the stated trade-in value.

The actual market value for mass-produced cars (lke 911) is determined by the auction prices. Thus my suggestion to take it to carmax. They'll generate the offer price based on the most current auction results. Then you can offer the seller this price + state sales tax value he/she would have saved by trading it in + a premium paid for complete maintenance history, condition, wear and tear, tires, etc.
Reminder: In many states, like California, you don't save state sales tax on the trade-in value of a car.

Old 04-26-2008, 04:01 PM
PeterK will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by keninirvine
Reminder: In many states, like California, you don't save state sales tax on the trade-in value of a car.
Oh, I didn't know this. In states like texas, where a buyer will save 6.25% of the value of the trade-in, this savings can ammount to a signficant amount on a car with a trade-in value of say $50K.

Old 04-26-2008, 04:02 PM
911nojoke has a spectacular aura about911nojoke has a spectacular aura about911nojoke has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by first911
These are my recommendations:

1- Be patient (I took me six months to find what a was looking for). You'll save thousands if you buy from private party
2- Identify the Trade-in + tax value of the car that you are looking for. No way a private party we'll sell his car for less that what he can get from the dealer. In other words, estimate your minimum reasonable offer.
3. Identify if the owner has to sell the car or does not need to sell the car
4. Find what you really want and what would be nice to have. Be aware that this would make a difference in the pice
5. You are not buying a pair of shoes. The car has to meet all your expectations.
6-Once you agree on the price, a full pre-purchase inspection is mandatory.

I classify porsche sellers in two categories:
Group 1: Many porsche owners don't need to sell their cars for less than what they think it is worthy. It is difficult to negotiate with this type of seller.
Group 2: Some owners have to decide between trade-in or your offer. It is in this second category that you want to be.

Good luck.
great post. i am also hunting for the right car... i have a feeling with the facelift info now being out the market will get a bit better on the buyers' side so i am trying to be patient to see how prices respond...

Old 04-28-2008, 04:56 PM
arthur6 is on a distinguished road
I'm in Nevada. We have NO sales tax with a Private Party sale.
If I buy from a dealer (anywhere), I'll pay sales 8%-ish tax at my DMV when I license the car. On $50k that's $4800.
So........... I'm a private party buyer now just so I can legally stick it to the government.......