997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

2012 federal black box law

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 06:29 AM
Harvey in MD is infamous around these parts
2012 federal black box law

It looks like Porsche will be looking at our driving habits or will they?

See the article at: http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...809189970/1065

Old 09-25-2008, 08:57 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I spoke to guy on Monday that cancelled his GTR order for the same reason. I guess my 06 will be around for some time as my track toy.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:39 AM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
big brotha watching ova ya makes one nervouuuus

Old 09-25-2008, 10:10 AM
phil_m is infamous around these parts
That is some scary stuff!!

Old 09-25-2008, 10:36 AM
SKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to allSKYKING is a name known to all
Just what we need, more people looking into what and how we live our life. The lawyers will be happy.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:56 AM
exoticschaser is infamous around these parts
It was bad enough with Micorsoft now this.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:39 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Great..... just another anti-privacy thing we need. The only way I can see it helping is for an accident.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:01 PM
David9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid9962000 has a reputation beyond repute
Until someone underground comes up with a software to turn it off.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:57 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Why do we care? I don't get all the hub-ub.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:05 PM
Streamlined is infamous around these parts
Don't they already? I've had the DME checked for rev history on BMWs, and I think the dealer probably checked the C2S when it was CPOd

Old 09-25-2008, 04:53 PM
C2S4ME is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Minok
Why do we care? I don't get all the hub-ub.
Many of us see it as a slippery slope.

At first the information would be used by the manufacturer to monitor the vehicles usage. Then they could start using the information to deny warranty claims. Insurance companies and government agencies could use the information in an accident investigation. What would stop law enforcement from having black box check points (much like DUI check points) and issue a ticket (much like red light camera tickets) to the registered owner or download information during a traffic stop to be use in court against the driver?

My OnStar equipped Sierra Denali pick-up truck automatically sends a report every month recording things like tire pressures, mileage, percent left in oil life etc. It also sends a report (and location) every time I activate the ABS or traction control. The technology is already there to have pertinent information (like speed and the location) automatically sent to whoever requests it and that someone could be government, all in the name of public safety and for the children of course. So when you get the urge to open it up a little on a deserted county road big brother could be watching!

You many not care about giving up personal freedoms all in the name of security but some of us do. I don’t like it.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:17 PM
hey32g is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by SKYKING
Just what we need, more people looking into what and how we live our life. The lawyers will be happy.
Yeah because we're too frickin' incapable of living our lives on our own!! This crap pisses me off!

Where did Ron Paul go!!!!!!!!

Old 09-25-2008, 06:17 PM
911nojoke has a spectacular aura about911nojoke has a spectacular aura about911nojoke has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by C2S4ME
Many of us see it as a slippery slope.

At first the information would be used by the manufacturer to monitor the vehicles usage. Then they could start using the information to deny warranty claims. Insurance companies and government agencies could use the information in an accident investigation. What would stop law enforcement from having black box check points (much like DUI check points) and issue a ticket (much like red light camera tickets) to the registered owner or download information during a traffic stop to be use in court against the driver?

My OnStar equipped Sierra Denali pick-up truck automatically sends a report every month recording things like tire pressures, mileage, percent left in oil life etc. It also sends a report (and location) every time I activate the ABS or traction control. The technology is already there to have pertinent information (like speed and the location) automatically sent to whoever requests it and that someone could be government, all in the name of public safety and for the children of course. So when you get the urge to open it up a little on a deserted county road big brother could be watching!

You many not care about giving up personal freedoms all in the name of security but some of us do. I don’t like it.
Well, well stated... It's not hard to see how quickly our privacy rights are being eroded -- that's why you should care Minok! Sorry, it's my pet peeve that people will give up their privacy rights without thinking anything of it. Think of the bigger picture. By the way, i even hate that porsche logs overrevs in the DME, that is lame as well...

Old 09-25-2008, 06:33 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
If its used in accident investigations, I'm all for that. The person who caused the accident should be the one who gets pinned with the accident, so if it clarifies what happened, then great. It would be very good to know if the brakes were depressed, the turn signals were on, and when.

However, one has to read out the thing... I don't see any current way of remotely reading out the data unless you have a cell phone device on in your car, like OnStar.

General roadblocks to read out data.. never going to happen. The current laws already prohibit that. Unreasonable search... ever heard of it? Police may stop every car to check license, registration, and look at the driver, but they are prohibited from entering the vehicle and certainly from plugging anything into your car.

I'm not giving up any privacy rights here. Yes, when I'm driving in my car, I have an expectation of privacy about what I do inside the car, but the car driving on a public road does not have any expectation of privacy. I do have an expectation of privacy in how I operate the car. If a maker puts in systems to monitor and report on that usage, I can know about it and choose not to purchase that makers car. If it comes to the point where location information is broadcast or can be read out from the car without my explicit consent, I'll not buy the car. Simple. This is no where near there.

If you want to think doom and gloom then go ahead; I'm not gonna lose any sleep over this sort of stuff until it actually rises to a level that warrants my attention.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:22 PM
911nojoke has a spectacular aura about911nojoke has a spectacular aura about911nojoke has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Minok
I'm not gonna lose any sleep over this sort of stuff until it actually rises to a level that warrants my attention.
by then it will be too late...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2012 federal black box law