997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Went to Newport Beach Porsche to look at the 997.2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 10:23 PM
dakine has much to be proud ofdakine has much to be proud ofdakine has much to be proud ofdakine has much to be proud ofdakine has much to be proud ofdakine has much to be proud ofdakine has much to be proud ofdakine has much to be proud of
Went to Newport Beach Porsche to look at the 997.2

So I was hanging out with my father today and talking to him about how I was looking to purchase a 997 s in the near future, but am not sure if I want to spend more on the new one or just get a used 07 or 08. We were in the area so he suggested that we stop by Newport Beach Porsche to take a look at some. I was really disappointed with the service at this dealership the one time I stopped by before and really did not feel like going again, but my dad said give it another try.

They were just as rude as the first time. As I walked toward the dealership to look at some 997's the sales reps kinda glanced at me and kept on with their conversation. It took 5 minutes for one of them to greet me and ask if I needed any help. Then when I asked a few questions, they gave me pretty stale answers and kind of brushed me off. They only had one 997.2 and it was a vert. I don't know why they were not that helpful. Maybe because I was with my father and he drives and Acura TL and everyone else pulling up to the dealership was either in a Porsche, Benz or Ferrari? I'm 26, so maybe because I look young. I am not exactly sure why they were so rude, but I will never buy a car from this dealership. I walked around for 15 min and no one asked if I wanted to take a look at any cars or had any questions about them. No wonder they have a dozen 08 997's sitting on the lot. If there are any salesman on the board you guys should definitely help everyone, no matter how young they look, what car they drive or how they are dressed. My father was pretty turned off by the experience and wonders why I even want to buy a Porsche if they are going to be snobby about selling a car.

On a better note. The new 997 facelift looks great. I really like the front end and new rear tailights. The wheels are much nicer than the lobster forks too.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:33 PM
NYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of light
Not just west coast.

You literally have to empty a 120k in cash on the floor in the NYC dealer for them to look at you. I walked out after 15 minutes, they were all on their cell phones, no help.

I will NEVER buy a car there as well.

I'm glad I walked, was going to pay cash for a new FL, got mine elsewhere and saved over 40k from not buying new.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:31 PM
Banned
CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !
Newport is hit and miss, some people might look at it differently.

Personally, I don't like to be bothered as soon as I walk into a dealership. I like to look around, see what is around, and when I need something I let them know. You can't expect them to read your mind.

I purchased the Cayenne from them and my salesman always took care of me. Once he was gone and the cooling tube issue happened, I was invisible as my warranty *just* ran out.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:35 AM
cc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud ofcc08gt2 has much to be proud of
I had never had anything like that happen. Those salesmen are no different or better than you. I'm sure they wished that didn't happen. I've bought several from Park Place in Dallas, and they go OUT OF THEIR WAY to be nice. Even when I drive up in my beat up hunting jeep. My first experience did include a call prior to coming, so I knew who I was going to talk to. Over time, I have become friends with half of the guys/ladies at the dealership and service area. I would go somewhere else, as there are many salesmen and dealerships that can't keep their doors open unless you buy their cars, and they are fully aware of that. Those are the kind of people to deal with.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:37 AM
dakine has much to be proud ofdakine has much to be proud ofdakine has much to be proud ofdakine has much to be proud ofdakine has much to be proud ofdakine has much to be proud ofdakine has much to be proud ofdakine has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by CURI0
Newport is hit and miss, some people might look at it differently.

Personally, I don't like to be bothered as soon as I walk into a dealership. I like to look around, see what is around, and when I need something I let them know. You can't expect them to read your mind.

I purchased the Cayenne from them and my salesman always took care of me. Once he was gone and the cooling tube issue happened, I was invisible as my warranty *just* ran out.
Sometimes I don't like to be bothered either but a hello and smile to acknowledge I exist would be nice. Then they can continue standing there not selling cars.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:33 AM
phil_m is infamous around these parts
I noticed the same thing about a few of the dealerships out here. If you go to Newport unless you have a previous call in with a sales person, they all act too busy to be bothered. On the otherhand if you drive over to Walter's over in Riverside, they are like vultures, you can barely get out of the car before they are on top of you, which I really don't care for either.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:52 AM
Yoo Shin is infamous around these parts
Dealers of any car can be like that. In Houston, a friend of mine and I pulled up to the Momentum Porsche Dealer in my 06 WRX, both of us in our early 30s, wearing shorts and Ts, and they were all over us. My friend told them that he was just curious about prices for a 993 coupe, and though they didn't have one, they offered to throw the keys to us on several new models.

My WRX was really plain, and well, a WRX, but folks working there were giving me compliments saying stuff like, "I bet it'll beat 1/2 the cars on this lot.."(yeah right). I left telling them that I will be back one day and if/when I am in the market for a Porsche, I'm going straight to them.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:26 PM
RandomName is infamous around these parts
if you have any questions about 997s you probably should ask on here anyway. We can provide you better answers than most salesperson out there.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:37 PM
TT Tommy is infamous around these parts
The problem with Porsche dealerships is that 99% of the people that come into the showroom are looky loos and the sales force is generally "over it".

Old 09-28-2008, 01:13 PM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CURI0

I kind of feel the same way, often we know as much if not more about the products than they do. I just like to go there to looks at the different colors, how the various options look/feel like, because the options list is long. These are not something we can get online or the brochure.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:52 PM
KandyRedCoi is infamous around these parts
i liked the service at Walters in Riverside, my sis got her cayman S there...as far as sales it was quick and relatively painless, service is not bad either

Old 09-28-2008, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by TT Tommy
The problem with Porsche dealerships is that 99% of the people that come into the showroom are looky loos and the sales force is generally "over it".

I completely understand that, but it is their job. All I ask is for them to smile and say "Hello, if there is anything I can help you with sir just ask". Simple as that. That is not too much to ask for. I worked as a sales associate for high end home audio and video for a few months before I went to dental school. I greeted every customer and was polite. You never know who is going to buy something. I do the same thing as a dentist. I am not going to treat someone who comes in dressed like a bum and has crappy insurance different than someone who is dressed nice and has better insurance.

I went to a Porsche dealership in Northern California with my friend when she was buying her Cayman and they were very polite and helpful. I think it is just the fact that the dealership is in Newport Beach, I was dressed down and I was with my dad in his Acura TL. I'm sure if we were in his S55 or I was in my BMW and we were dressed nicer, they would have been more helpful. If you guys like the snobby dealerships then by all means go to Newport Beach Porsche, but I'd rather go to the many others that appreciate my business no matter what I'm driving or how I'm dressed.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by RandomName
if you have any questions about 997s you probably should ask on here anyway. We can provide you better answers than most salesperson out there.

Definitely. I have no doubt you guys now more than these salesmen.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:10 PM
mdc
mdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond reputemdc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dakine
I was dressed down and I was with my dad in his Acura TL. I'm sure if we were in his S55 or I was in my BMW and we were dressed nicer, they would have been more helpful. If you guys like the snobby dealerships then by all means go to Newport Beach Porsche, but I'd rather go to the many others that appreciate my business no matter what I'm driving or how I'm dressed.
I can’t speak for other part of the state, or country, if they go by dress code or what customers drive up to the showroom with here in Silicon Valley, they are going to be way off. But reality is, most of them still do. Porsche dealers aren’t Toyota, but there are still plenty around that will be more than happy to have your business.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:19 PM
WFO_Racer is infamous around these parts
Newport Beach home of the 30K millionaires.

That dealer is a couple minutes from my house, I bought one car from them and got a good deal and decent service. I did see a bunch of dressed up people in there kicking tires. When they had what I wanted since I live so close I rode my sons longboard skateboard over to do the deal. I'm a pretty big guy and I wore board trunks and a gun t-shirt ( my basic wardrobe) in the place, walked over to the car. Told one of the salemen to bring the keys. We drove the car, came back and asked him to get the manager. Wrapped it up asked them for a couple of t-shirts for my sons and drove home.

In my neighborhood it seems the more dressed up the less cash people tend to have.

I take a different approach with sales, I tell them what I want from them and then have them tell me why I should buy from them.
That and a scary look seems to help

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Went to Newport Beach Porsche to look at the 997.2