997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Trickle Charger

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:58 PM
997sRider is just really nice997sRider is just really nice997sRider is just really nice997sRider is just really nice997sRider is just really nice
I have one and it works great. I don't get to drive too often due to my schedule.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:19 AM
carbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud of
my battery was sounding weak and I've been meaning to buy the porsche charger...got it 2 days ago ...paid $120

plugged into the lighter and it took about 30 hours to charge

no more worries

as soon as this storm is over and the roads are clear, I'll take it out for a blast

Old 12-29-2010, 10:15 AM
Paul S-in TX is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Agree - Porsche makes at least 2 different ones and my dealer gave me the cheaper one that plugs into the cig. lighter. Keep in mind that if you use it you have to plug it into the cig. lighter first, then the wall - then remove from the wall and cig. lighter last before starting the car.
I've never done that with mine (the "not cheaper" one made by Ctek). I switch the maintainer to the off position, before unplugging the cig. lighter or plugging it in. I never remove the electrical cord from the wall socket. No issues for over 5 years. Maybe the older Porsche maintainer has no off switch--I don't know as I've never seen/used one.

As of the OP, if your battery has died twice, I'd replace it. Get yourself the Ctek 3300 maintainer (which corresponds to the Porsche dual mode maintainer for less money--you'll need to order the cig. lighter cord to go with it as it comes with two cords, one with eyelets and the other with battery terminal clips) and use it always when the car's parked in your garage and it will extend the battery life. Also, you should not have to add water to the battery either, which is another plus.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:29 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by carbonissimo
my battery was sounding weak and I've been meaning to buy the porsche charger...got it 2 days ago ...paid $120

plugged into the lighter and it took about 30 hours to charge

no more worries

as soon as this storm is over and the roads are clear, I'll take it out for a blast
Keep an eye on the battery - if it's sounding weak it probably is and a maintainer won't be a permanent solution. How old is the battery?

Old 12-30-2010, 03:20 PM
carbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud of
battery is 3 years old

if it sounds weak again I'll buy a new one...but in the meantime, the charger is green

no worries

Old 12-30-2010, 04:26 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by carbonissimo
battery is 3 years old

if it sounds weak again I'll buy a new one...but in the meantime, the charger is green

no worries
Green just means the charging cycle is done - doesn't tell you anything about the health of the battery and its ability to hold a charge. Three years is a good time to replace. Mine went from green on the maintainer in the morning to dead in the afternoon. Buy a Walmart MAXX 94R - $77, perfect fit and a better warranty than Porsche.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:51 PM
stockid will become famous soon enoughstockid will become famous soon enough
Here is what I use....

http://www.saveabattery.com/im.aspx

Old 12-31-2010, 10:55 AM
slant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura about
I never use a trickle charger/tender...don't really trust them. They'll top you off but battery life is finite. Just start your friggin car twice a week and do a pre-emptive battery changeout after 4 years (Duralast $90). Easy DIY..15 min max

Did it on my 05 carrera, 83 slantnose and 05 boxster....never had a dead battery even with the Florida heat and never worry about "charging/tendering" thru my cig lighter

just my .02

Old 12-31-2010, 01:28 PM
Lostturbo has a spectacular aura aboutLostturbo has a spectacular aura about
I use a C-TEK 800 $38 on Amazon. Same company that makes the Porsche one. Leave it on all the time, connected to battery with the eyelet connector that comes with it. I also close it in the hood , with no problems. Been doing this for years, with different Porsche's.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:59 PM
IMEP is on a distinguished road
I have used Battery Tender chargers for over 15 years and highly recommend them.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:55 PM
porscheman1963 will become famous soon enough
Yup, used Battery Tender Plus for all my cars/motorcycles and wouldn't use anything else. Went a step further and installed a Powerlet socket into lower bumper area to just plug in and avoid closing the door on the wire when using the cig lighter or keeping frunk hood open (both of which work well for most but just an alternative)

Attached Images    
Old 01-02-2011, 06:41 PM
away will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Lostturbo
I use a C-TEK 800 $38 on Amazon. Same company that makes the Porsche one.
Is anyone more familiar with the difference between the 800 and 3300 models. It would seem the 3300 has two different amperages listed for it where the 800 only has the one. The 800 model is $38 and the 3300 is $55.

I do need to purchase one this week but am curious which one to go with.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Green just means the charging cycle is done - doesn't tell you anything about the health of the battery and its ability to hold a charge. Three years is a good time to replace. Mine went from green on the maintainer in the morning to dead in the afternoon. Buy a Walmart MAXX 94R - $77, perfect fit and a better warranty than Porsche.

you're dead on jhbrennan...took the car out today for a cruise and it barely started after getting gas...I'm calling walmart...thanks !

Old 01-20-2011, 06:25 PM
walmart, pep boys and napa all say they only have a battery for a carrera gt...will that fit my 04 c4s?

Old 01-21-2011, 06:23 AM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gpjli
c'mon. ctek makes oem unit $60 most everywhere. get the cigarette lighter connection. don't be silly here
+1 to that. I have had the CTEK unit for years with no issues. My car is hooked up to it through the cigar lighter all winter long and I have had no issues. The only difference between the Porsche model and the CTEK is the Porsche logo sticker and $ 30 or so. I am sure all the other brands do an equally good job when used as directed.

Long live marketing hype.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Trickle Charger