997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Best tire gauge ever?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 06:15 PM
911nojoke has a spectacular aura about911nojoke has a spectacular aura about911nojoke has a spectacular aura about
Best tire gauge ever?

Can someone recommend a tire gauge that will work with the very short valves on my HRE's? I bought the best one I could find on amazon and apparently it won't engage on my short valve stems. Bummer.

here's the one i got that doesn't work...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BNS7Y2

Old 10-14-2008, 08:18 PM
MelsM3 is on a distinguished road
Mine is like this one and it's pretty good.

I also bought the rubber cover for it...

http://www.amazon.com/Accu-gage-Tire...8&s=automotive

The company that makes them...

http://www.ghmeiser.com/

Old 10-17-2008, 06:45 PM
911nojoke has a spectacular aura about911nojoke has a spectacular aura about911nojoke has a spectacular aura about
ok to continue the most interesting thread ever... here is the gauge i finally got after researching the options, it is really nice and solid, no air leaks, etc...-

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000COS8FI

i am particular about certain things (tools, pens, watches, etc, etc) so i feel better now

Old 10-17-2008, 07:54 PM
MelsM3 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 911nojoke
i am particular about certain things (tools, pens, watches, etc, etc) so i feel better now

Tools - Craftsman

Pen - Montblanc

Watch - Rolex

Cars - Porsche

You sound like me.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:00 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
No brainer! Google "PSI clops". The chuck alone is worth it. This gauge does not get enuff publicity. From Titerack or Manuf'er. Serious stuff. Ger

Old 10-17-2008, 08:31 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
The analog gauges are nice but they are not very accurate and change with time. I've seen those nice analog gauges off buy 5PSI or more.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:50 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by adias
The analog gauges are nice but they are not very accurate and change with time. I've seen those nice analog gauges off buy 5PSI or more.

I don't think that is a fair statement. There is nothing about the analog gauge that makes it less accurate or stable over time compared to one with a digital display. Its the quality of the components and the design that make or break a gauge. Digital ones are, I'm thinking, more likely to have crappy versions, because its so easy to manufacture digital electronics very cheaply. Its also, of course, easier to get more consistent quality in digital electronic gauges.

Speaking of accuracy.. what do people use to test the precision of your pressure gauges to know they are reading the right value? I'm assuming its some device that is 'known to be accurate' but I'll be damned if I can a think of anything I have ready access to to check any of my own pressure gauges (pen-stick and dials of various types) against.

Also, for me I'd rather have a gauge give me the correct reading +-2psi, than give me the exact same reading (+-0.01psi) but be consistently high by 6psi.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:46 PM
allstardos is on a distinguished road
Thx for all the advice guys. . . the search begins. __________________
2007 IB M6
2008 ML 63 AMG

*gone but not forgotten*
2004 Tiag E46 M3
2008 Jeep SRT 8

Old 10-17-2008, 11:11 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Minok
I don't think that is a fair statement. There is nothing about the analog gauge that makes it less accurate or stable over time compared to one with a digital display. Its the quality of the components and the design that make or break a gauge. Digital ones are, I'm thinking, more likely to have crappy versions, because its so easy to manufacture digital electronics very cheaply. Its also, of course, easier to get more consistent quality in digital electronic gauges.

Speaking of accuracy.. what do people use to test the precision of your pressure gauges to know they are reading the right value? I'm assuming its some device that is 'known to be accurate' but I'll be damned if I can a think of anything I have ready access to to check any of my own pressure gauges (pen-stick and dials of various types) against.

Also, for me I'd rather have a gauge give me the correct reading +-2psi, than give me the exact same reading (+-0.01psi) but be consistently high by 6psi.

I have several gauges. I have compared my 3 Accutire gauges to 'calibrated' gauges in tire shops and they were all within +-0.5PSI. My nice brass-bodied analog gauges are off by 4 to 6 PSI - their analog mechanism wears with time. The analog part of the digital readout pressure sensor is less prone to vary - Just my experience - YMMV.

P.S. - I'm talking accuracy here not precision, and I imagine you know the difference.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:24 PM
Adias, do you know how the tire shop calibrates its tire gauges?

I supposed one could use an air compressor set to a specified output pressure... if one knew the output pressure gauge is accurate.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:27 PM
ryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of lightryans4 is a glorious beacon of light
I'm not sure how accurate the factory TPMS (07 997S) is but it matches up with my intercomp tire gauge well, and with respect to the output regulator on the air tank, I don't really trust that reading relative to a good gauge.

I also agree a good 2 decimal digital gauge has the longevity over an analog gauge, but i would also argue a good analog gauge that isn't dropped every time on the ground and isn't 10 years old is better then most inexpensive digital gauges that likely round to the nearest 0.5. That being said half a psi is no big deal so likely doesn't matter much.

Here is what I have used for the last few years (Intercomp 4" 60psi), easy to read and use. It has a rounded valve like most air tanks that is low profile unlike some of the angle valves. I prefer this over digital as you can bleed and re-read without removing the gauge, i'm sure some digital ones do this as well but again expensive. This gauge is huge, and it glows in the dark which has actually come in handy.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:16 AM
aintpatricksday is on a distinguished road
I don't have anything to add about a good tire pressure gauge, but some have asked what method is used to calibrate pressure gauges. The fundamental reference device is called a deadweight tester. Precision weights are stacked on top of a hydraulic cylinder, and the pressure is increased gradually until the the weights float and spin freely. Here is an example:
http://www.mensor.com/ModelCPB5000P.htm
Most gauges are not calibrated this way because it is not the most convenient, and the deadweight testers start at about 5k. Most use an electronic or mechanical gauge that is traceable back to a deadweight.

PB

Old 10-24-2008, 09:40 AM
MartinJF is on a distinguished road
Old 10-24-2008, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by aintpatricksday
I don't have anything to add about a good tire pressure gauge, but some have asked what method is used to calibrate pressure gauges. The fundamental reference device is called a deadweight tester. Precision weights are stacked on top of a hydraulic cylinder, and the pressure is increased gradually until the the weights float and spin freely. Here is an example:
http://www.mensor.com/ModelCPB5000P.htm
Most gauges are not calibrated this way because it is not the most convenient, and the deadweight testers start at about 5k. Most use an electronic or mechanical gauge that is traceable back to a deadweight.

PB

Good info. Thanks. So I'm assuming that most places just assume their gauges are calibrated decently when they get them. That said, the tire shop's gauge is no more accurate than mine.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:12 PM
jhowton is on a distinguished road
I use a Longacre gauge:

http://www.longacreracing.com/catalo...d=1168&catid=8

I have used it for 5 years of ~30 track days per year. I did drop it once ruining the unit and Longacre repaired it at no charge.