997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

A local Porsche shop told me Mobil 1 has been known to damage engines

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 06:44 PM
B R A N D X® is on a distinguished road
Which Motul oil is the right one for the DFI engines? There appear to be several grades within the line.

Anyone have a suggestion as to the best place from which to order online?

I'm due for a post break-in oil change and, based on this thread, would feel more comfortable switching from Mobil 1 to an oil with higher ZDDP.

Last edited by B R A N D X®; 12-01-2009 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:26 PM
jfr0317 is on a distinguished road
It seems to me that a good question to ask would be, "How many engine problems have been observed, much less documented, due to continuing to use the latest formulation of Mobil 1?". I use Mobil 1 in all of my vehicles and have for the last 25 years (which includes a total of five Porsches plus miscellaneous other vehicles). Granted, the most recent formulation has not been around long enough for much, if any, empirical evidence to appear, but that begs the question of where the evidence is coming from that would indicate a problem with Mobil 1.

Oil manufacturers, just as car manufacturers, have to continue to evolve their products to meet changing regulations. In addition, oil manufacturers are required by car manufacturers to formulate their oils to conform with very specific requirements from the car manufacturer in order to get them certified for approved status.

By the way, "Total" is the French oil company formed by the merger of Total, Fina, and Elf. It is a very good company with good products, but so is ExxonMobil with a history of making high quality oils since one of its predecessor companies, Vacuum Oil Company, was founded in 1866.

Disclaimer - I am a retiree from ExxonMobil but have never worked directly in the lubes portion of the business, and I speak only for myself, not ExxonMobil. And no, I don't get a discount on my oil unless I buy it from an Exxon or Mobil service station.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:37 PM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
I don't know squat about oil so go with what is recommended. Thankfully, walk through the garages at the ALMS or Rolex venues and you'll see an awful lot of Mobil 1 (of course the engines in the top classes are good for only 25-100 hours anyway).

Old 12-01-2009, 07:43 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Mobil 1 0W40 is safe from a phosphorus content. Want more? get 15W50 if yo live in a hot climate.

Mobil 1 0W40 - Phosphorus level: 1000
Mobil 1 15W50 - Phosphorus level: 1200

This according to this Mobil 1 Engine Oils Table

Old 12-01-2009, 08:15 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tejoe
I don't know squat about oil so go with what is recommended. Thankfully, walk through the garages at the ALMS or Rolex venues and you'll see an awful lot of Mobil 1 (of course the engines in the top classes are good for only 25-100 hours anyway).
Might be the case but ill bet they arent running shelf formulas.. Wouldnt be the 1st time i have seen sponsors provide products thats not available to the public..

Mike

Old 12-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Former Vendor
AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !AWD Motorsports Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by B R A N D X®
Which Motul oil is the right one for the DFI engines? There appear to be several grades within the line.

Anyone have a suggestion as to the best place from which to order online?

I'm due for a post break-in oil change and, based on this thread, would feel more comfortable switching from Mobil 1 to an oil with higher ZDDP.
If you need any Motul Products we are a direct dealer.. We have 300v 5w40 in stock..

Thanks!!

Mike

Old 12-01-2009, 08:40 PM
avh128996tt is a name known to allavh128996tt is a name known to allavh128996tt is a name known to allavh128996tt is a name known to allavh128996tt is a name known to allavh128996tt is a name known to all
Mike@AwdMotorsports what is the diffrence between Motul 8100 X-Cess 5w40 and Motul 300V Power 5W40 . thanks in advance

Old 12-01-2009, 08:59 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by avh128996tt
Mike@AwdMotorsports what is the diffrence between Motul 8100 X-Cess 5w40 and Motul 300V Power 5W40 . thanks in advance
The 300v is a Motorsports oil for High performance engines vs excess being the Street Blend.. As far as additive wise and from a Technical standpoint i dont have a lot of data on the difference.. here is some brief info on the 300v.. 1 thing i like about the 300v is the fast oil pressure setup on startup..

Double Ester technology : maximum oil film resistance, balanced polarity, resistance at very high temperature.

Friction Modifier : maximum power output, decrease operating temperature.

0% shear loss : Stable oil pressure whatever using conditions.

Maximum anti-wear resistance. Perfect engine cleanliness. 5W-40 grade allows excellent oil flow into the engine, fastest oil pressure set up, faster rev raisings and at the same time high oil pressure at high rpm and high temperatures.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:32 AM
Fahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to all
The idea that Mobil 1 can damage an engine doesn't sound right. Zincdialkyldithophosphate is an extreme pressure additive
( and stabilizer) used for engines with sliding cams ( most engines). Years ago zincdiaryldithiophosphate was used in engines that required improved thermal stability such turbo diesel truck engines. These engines had to use roller cams because this additive did not provide as much protection for sliding cams.

I believe the only thing that can happen with an oil without enough ZDDP ( or other comparable additive) is that the cams and followers may wear faster. This results in reduced performance but will not destroy an engine. And, the wear issue is something that would not show up during a warrantee period. Therefore, Porsche and other auto companies have either tested for this or are simply more concerned about the long term emmisions than long term wear.

Bye the way, this is an organic molecule containing Zn, Ph, sulpher,oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, etc. elements. There are no free minerals or metals floating around.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:48 AM
slant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura about
Mobil 1 is fine....just don't use Crisco

Old 12-02-2009, 08:07 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Could anybody provide a link to that ZDDP if it gets sold in retail, like, in bottles? Would it make sense to add it to regular mobil 1 oil?

Old 12-02-2009, 10:39 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by utkinpol
Could anybody provide a link to that ZDDP if it gets sold in retail, like, in bottles? Would it make sense to add it to regular mobil 1 oil?
For a questionable increase in phosphorus do you want to risk destroying your cats?

Old 12-02-2009, 04:12 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
I am a sucker for these oil debates. For those looking for more on this forum I suggest you do a search as this subject comes up about once every two months.

First, +1 on the Motul recommendation... fabulous product and the 0w-40 8100 Xcess is on the Porsche recommended list. I believe 300v is as well but not as sure here.

As for a place to buy Motul? LN Engineering has an online store and sells it there.

For anyone doubting the value of a good motor oil please read the article on oil use on the LN engineering website. Its very long and filled with techno jargin but makes solid data backed points that should not and cannot be ignored.

As for Mobil 1, might be a great product, might not be. Just because Porsche advertises for Mobil 1 does not mean it is the best oil for your engine. Keep in mind Mobil 1 "supports" a lot of Porsche motorsports and your all crazy if you do not think there is a financial benefit to Porsche for advertising the product. Not saying its a bad product, just saying there are better one available.

On a side note. I am also a big M3 fan and several fellowM3 owners have done oil analysis on their used oil and found that 0w-40 (the touted Euro blend) has some shearing effects. By in large this WILL have negative effects on your engine especially those who run their cars hard or in hotter climates.

Jason

Old 12-02-2009, 05:02 PM
jfr0317 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JEllis
I am a sucker for these oil debates. For those looking for more on this forum I suggest you do a search as this subject comes up about once every two months.

First, +1 on the Motul recommendation... fabulous product and the 0w-40 8100 Xcess is on the Porsche recommended list. I believe 300v is as well but not as sure here.

As for a place to buy Motul? LN Engineering has an online store and sells it there.

For anyone doubting the value of a good motor oil please read the article on oil use on the LN engineering website. Its very long and filled with techno jargin but makes solid data backed points that should not and cannot be ignored.

As for Mobil 1, might be a great product, might not be. Just because Porsche advertises for Mobil 1 does not mean it is the best oil for your engine. Keep in mind Mobil 1 "supports" a lot of Porsche motorsports and your all crazy if you do not think there is a financial benefit to Porsche for advertising the product. Not saying its a bad product, just saying there are better one available.

On a side note. I am also a big M3 fan and several fellowM3 owners have done oil analysis on their used oil and found that 0w-40 (the touted Euro blend) has some shearing effects. By in large this WILL have negative effects on your engine especially those who run their cars hard or in hotter climates.

Jason
I find it interesting that you state that "your all crazy if you do not think there is a financial benefit to Porsche for advertising the product", but then state the following: "As for a place to buy Motul? LN Engineering has an online store and sells it there.

For anyone doubting the value of a good motor oil please read the article on oil use on the LN engineering website."

I'm not trying to cast any doubts on Motul or LN Engineering at all. I'm just finding some irony in you implying that Porsche's recommendation of Mobil 1 is based in part on financial consideration received and then citing the merits of a competing product based on an analysis performed by someone who is marketing that product. Perhaps Porsche is just as sincere in its recommendation of Mobil 1 as LN Engineering is for Motul.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:01 PM
rs60spyder is on a distinguished road
Is this Motul 300 5w40 $15.00 per quart or is it possible to buy it in 5to 10 quart containers cheaper. I am sold on this product so now What is the most economical way to get it. Is it sold in any Autoparts chain stores in the northeast to save on shipping
THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY INPUT

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: A local Porsche shop told me Mobil 1 has been known to damage engines