997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Porsche PDK can turn off front-wheel-drive in 997-4(S)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 09:45 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Porsche PDK can turn off front-wheel-drive in 997-4(S)

and make it a RWD 997, amazin imho.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/truly-ve...ngagement.html
http://www.garage419.com/episode/419_20081106#comments

Last edited by catchmyshadow; 11-07-2008 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:37 AM
mperfect is a splendid one to beholdmperfect is a splendid one to beholdmperfect is a splendid one to beholdmperfect is a splendid one to beholdmperfect is a splendid one to beholdmperfect is a splendid one to behold
I defintely like it. But isn't the problem with 4-wheel drive the reduced steering feel because of the weight? It certainly doesn't solve that problem. But then again. I've never driven one so I can't really back that up.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:13 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
of course u still have the additional weight of the all-wheel-drive 997-4 model, but if this is a true feature then it makes it a lot easier for customers, who enjoy the handling of a RWD car (track) but also appreciate the safety (rain, winter) that the all-wheel-drive models provide. u get kind of 2 cars in 1 then.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:55 PM
rockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by mperfect
But isn't the problem with 4-wheel drive the reduced steering feel because of the weight?
I don't quite understand the whole "reduced steering feel" argument. I drove both back to back multiple times (on the street), and could not tell the difference with the "reduced steering feel." Am I missing something? Can someone chime in if someone has driven both on the track? Personally, I can't tell the difference in weight and similarly, at least on paper, the car mags can't either - based on 0 to 60 times and quarter mile times.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:16 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Front wheel drive cars, with all of the weight on the steering, drive just fine.

The only thing I can think of is that added weight on the front from the drivetrain parts, would make it a small amount harder to break the back end loose to swing it through a turn. So the tail waggers will never be totally happy.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:47 PM
b911s is on a distinguished road
I have had both and actually I like the steering feel of my 4S better. It is a little more weighty but feels more solid and direct my 2S felt a tad light. Also thru hard corning you can feel the car pull around the corners instead of push. I probobly wouldnt by another 911 without it, plus i like my fat butt better.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:30 PM
m5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nicem5_2010 is just really nice
Originally Posted by b911s
I have had both and actually I like the steering feel of my 4S better. It is a little more weighty but feels more solid and direct my 2S felt a tad light. Also thru hard corning you can feel the car pull around the corners instead of push. I probobly wouldnt by another 911 without it, plus i like my fat butt better.
+1

Also, C4 has a little better weight distribution.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:23 PM
Silentrun is on a distinguished road
hmmmm, fat butt good (said with homer simpson voice)

I can't tell a difference and since my mechanic put neg camb and realigned with a stiffer rear sway, there is no understeer!!!

Old 11-07-2008, 04:40 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
I'm sold. I was sitting a 09 PDK C4S today with GT2 seats. I'm in love

Old 11-07-2008, 04:41 PM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
I respectfully strongly disagree with you guys. However, the negative effect on steering feel is magnified with more power and in situations that send that power to the front wheels more. You feel it tug on the wheel. Yes, it pulls you out of corners. I don't like that. You made it sound like the opposite of the front wheels pulling you through the corners is pushing, and that's not true at all. Rear wheel drive cars that don't pull you through very often don't push. RWD cars often oversteer. OFTEN. Especially if the driver knows what he's doing. Also, it's not really just the weight on the front that effects the feel, that's more of a secondary factor. It is that the power through the steering wheels means that you feel the car searching for grip through the wheel, which makes it harder (and annoying) to keep a smooth line when accelerating at the limit of grip out of a corner. Additionally, on higher HP cars, such as the turbo, they have to put more strength to the power steering so that in a situation like I have described, the wheel isn't tugged from your hand at a very bad time. I just drove a very high horsepower 997TT for a magazine test, directly in comparison with other high HP rwd cars. There's a huge difference. I promise.

Last edited by blakt out; 11-07-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:45 PM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by m5_2010
+1

Also, C4 has a little better weight distribution.
Better weight distribution through adding weight? That's bad religion, my friend. You either want to get better weight distribution through taking OUT weight in the heavy side or by moving weight around.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:09 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
I find that 'feature' odd. If one buys a 4WD one wants 4WD drive traction all the time. If by lapse the lever is up one notch, traction is compromised and the driver may not be aware of it relying on his experience w/ 4WD traction, and not having it.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:38 PM
Vladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of lightVladcanada is a glorious beacon of light
is that a benz gearbox again, cuz it sounds like it, 3 modes, 7 speed.... ???

Old 11-08-2008, 05:45 AM
Silentrun is on a distinguished road
From what I understand of the Porsche AWD system, there is no more than 7% of power to the front drive under normal circumstances. When the computer determines that more power is needed to the front drive, it's no more than 40% of available power. It's not 4wd like an off-road vehicle with locking hubs/difs. Each wheel is still capable of turning at independant speeds which is very required when going around a corner.

The Porsche AWD system is approx. 150lbs more than 2wd system. Do the different cars require different techniques...probably and depends on driver. Not liking it doesn't mean someone with skill can't outrun you...just my .o2

Old 11-08-2008, 05:51 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by adias
I find that 'feature' odd. If one buys a 4WD one wants 4WD drive traction all the time. If by lapse the lever is up one notch, traction is compromised and the driver may not be aware of it relying on his experience w/ 4WD traction, and not having it.
I didn't watch the video but I'm confident that Porsche throws a warning light up on the dash if you deactivate the 4wd system. Even my volvo puts a big warning light when you deactivate traction control.

I'm still really impressed. This is a great feature. I love driving my Cayenne in the rain, but the 996 is fun to get the rear end hanging out a bit. Best of both worlds with this setup.

Not to mention the C4S has the widebody, big brakes, and the reflector strip across the back. It looks great in person.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porsche PDK can turn off front-wheel-drive in 997-4(S)