997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 05:00 PM
babymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by MelsM3
I see no mention of any 997 application and no price.

I wonder why their discs are not cross drilled nor slotted.
It appears that the composition of the mov-it-cer are capable of dissipating the heat and don't need the cross drilling or slotting, I may be wrong, but by reading the product info, the fabrication and heat dissipating quality of the manufacturing process makes sence, that's not to say it's true, I can only guestimate based on the manufacturer. The problem is, that some manufacturers don't give you all the facts and it is sometimes hard to prove that what they are selling is real...I would like to know a lot more information before jumping on the band wagon, but they sound impressive. I like the lighter weight, they say "8kgs/corner". Seems like impresasive weight reduction and improvement is handling, but I'm new to this, the mods one can add to the pcar.

Last edited by babymd; 12-06-2008 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:25 PM
OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !
Aside from price, there is no downside to PCCB. They are lighter and never fade.

If you run a 911 with PCCB hard, then one without, the one without feels significantly less responsive. PCCB look great too!

How long should PCCB rotors last and how much is it to replace them? It can't be $10,000?!?

Does anyone know how much weight they save?

Old 12-06-2008, 09:10 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by OmahaGT
Aside from price, there is no downside to PCCB. They are lighter and never fade.

If you run a 911 with PCCB hard, then one without, the one without feels significantly less responsive. PCCB look great too!

How long should PCCB rotors last and how much is it to replace them? It can't be $10,000?!?

Does anyone know how much weight they save?
Trust me the rotors are $10k to replace. mkk62 from these forums had to do just that and I priced out replacement rotors before I ordered my 09.

I put in Motul600 ($40) and my red S brakes never fade at the track.

Like I said before if I had the money for the upkeep of PCCB's I'd have them. They do look exotic! They look great behind your black wheels!

Last edited by mdrums; 12-06-2008 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:28 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
No doubt the $10K quote is accurate. And mind boggling. But there's an air of implication that they will have to be replaced. And often. Is that accurate? Does anyone on this thread (and no, I did not search the 90 others, sorry) know of anyone needing to replace a ceramic rotor(s) for wear? Failure/warranty repairs don't count.
Just curious. Really.

Originally Posted by mdrums
Trust me the rotors are $10k to replace. mkk62 from these forums had to do just that and I priced out replacement rotors before I ordered my 09.

I put in Motul600 ($40) and my red S brakes never fade at the track.

Like I said before if I had the money for the upkeep of PCCB's I'd have them. They do look exotic! They look great behind your black wheels!

Old 12-06-2008, 09:33 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
By the way, the greatest differential value of the ceramic brakes seem to be the remarkable reduction in weight. And I'm not one of those weight-skimming guys (I read someone here didn't buy the Bose because of the weight of the subwoofer. I had to wince). OTOH, unsprung weight is a true enemy and here is where these thingies really shine.
Seems like lots of folks on this forum don't think twice at paying $5K for a new set of wheels - which may or may not reduce unsprung weight. For $3k more, you lower the weight and get a great set of brakes. Of so it seems...

Old 12-06-2008, 09:40 PM
OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !OmahaGT Is a GOD !
In a different thread, MKK62 says he fried his rotors quickly!

Here is the thread: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/135335-pccbs-really-worth-5.html

I'd like to ask him how long they lasted.

Has anybody else had to replace rotors?

Last edited by OmahaGT; 12-06-2008 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 12-06-2008, 10:01 PM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
I have them on my C2S. Love them. Worth the $$$? If you have the $, then go for it.

One lapping day with them - I overdrove the car somewhat (more fun that way ) and boiled my OEM brake fluid.

Good in the rain but you'll want to cognizant of the first second upon application if they are really soaked.

No dust and they look cool as hell. 35K on the car - one lapping day - a few autocrosses and no serious wear on the rotors so far.

Name:  IMG_9401.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  184.1 KB

Last edited by lig; 12-06-2008 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:02 PM
mkk62 will become famous soon enough
10k is retail for front rotors .......you can get the full set( i think that means front and rear) from suncoast including calipers for 14k http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me...e=997SCERAMICS

i have owned 997s with and without ceramics and had the first 997s with steel brakes and thought they were great ...tracked it about 15 times ( had to replace front steels after about 10 track days) then got another 997s with pccbs and tracked it 10 times and fried the front rotors...i never learned to bed in brake pads and also let the pads get really low one day so either of these may have caused early wear on the ceramics.(now i always bed in the pads and change the pads at 50% wear) .some posted many track days and 50k miles without rotor failure.but they are very fragile (stones and tools can crack them) (you can get the steel rotor calipers painted cool yellow) but as mdrums stated, if money is no object i like the ceramics but you will not notice the difference on the street...you might onthe track...next rotors will be the gt3 cup steels for 700 bucks a pair that are compatible with the big yellow calipers...

Last edited by mkk62; 12-06-2008 at 10:13 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:23 AM
JAY-PESOS will become famous soon enoughJAY-PESOS will become famous soon enough
how is 10,000 dollars for the rotors accurate?, on my sticker price of the car the pccb option only costed approx 8,000?. why would JUST the rotors cost that much?

Old 12-07-2008, 05:39 AM
brnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant futurebrnsrgn has a brilliant future
replacement costs are almost always substantialy more than original.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:43 AM
10k is msrp or warranty cost (if you ever just walked into dealer and wanted a pr of front rotors ) ever get charged 500$ for an oil change? (lots of people do)

as from my post you can see there are discounts out there....just like the front pads i was charged almost 600$ for front pr at dealer..next time i shopped and paid 350$

i have done much work at dealer to try to preserve my CPO warranty but realize that it is not necessary....and can save lots of money...i even quoted another dealer's cost for some work and my dealer matched it (40% less than their original price) I think more relevantly is that the rotors may cost about 6-9 times what the steel rotors would cost...so do pccb's last 6-9 times longer ..

don't get me wrong, i love the pccb's but to me they are a liability at the track.on the street they would be great but again don't think you will notice them (but it is like some people like to have 600hp just to say it but never drive fast)..between the pads and worrying about damaging the rotors....but again i do not have unlimited funds and if i did, wouldn't worry about the cost...even when i change the wheels to track wheels, always have to use those special tools and worry about not cracking the rotors with my wrench just my .02

Old 12-07-2008, 05:44 AM
also it is quite common that options are MUCH more expensive to buy from dealer to add on rather than option it on the original car

Old 12-07-2008, 07:05 AM
Thanks for everyone's comments.

Originally Posted by mkk62
10k is msrp or warranty cost (if you ever just walked into dealer and wanted a pr of front rotors ) ever get charged 500$ for an oil change? (lots of people do)

as from my post you can see there are discounts out there....just like the front pads i was charged almost 600$ for front pr at dealer..next time i shopped and paid 350$

i have done much work at dealer to try to preserve my CPO warranty but realize that it is not necessary....and can save lots of money...i even quoted another dealer's cost for some work and my dealer matched it (40% less than their original price) I think more relevantly is that the rotors may cost about 6-9 times what the steel rotors would cost...so do pccb's last 6-9 times longer ..

don't get me wrong, i love the pccb's but to me they are a liability at the track.on the street they would be great but again don't think you will notice them (but it is like some people like to have 600hp just to say it but never drive fast)..between the pads and worrying about damaging the rotors....but again i do not have unlimited funds and if i did, wouldn't worry about the cost...even when i change the wheels to track wheels, always have to use those special tools and worry about not cracking the rotors with my wrench just my .02

Old 12-07-2008, 04:46 PM
babymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to beholdbabymd is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by brnsrgn
Lots of conflicting info out there. I have them on my car and they were very impressive on the autobahn, where I had to slow from high speeds, often. If and when the rotors need replacement, there is a higher quality, lower cost alternative:

http://movit.de/rahmen/ceramic.htm

Ask again in 7-10 yrs whether I am happy with my choice.
Anybody have any experience with these ceramics?? The write up sounds good.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:18 PM
MelsM3 is on a distinguished road
This thread is shaping up well and I appreciate all of the input!

Personally...

I do not like the PCCB option price, BUT it is a performance/safety option.

I will use PCCB, each time that I use the 911 [Unlike: the nav/bose/sunroof/rear seats/trunk].

PCCB is worth MUCH more to me, than a new set of aftermarket $8,150 wheels/wings/body panels/etc [That many owners spend their money on [ie Bling].

The LOOK of the calipers, has nothing to do with my decision making process.

PS...

Please sign me up for the $3,140 Nordic Gold Metallic paint!

Last edited by MelsM3; 12-08-2008 at 09:58 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porsche Ceramic Composite Brakes